Looking for a new T

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im looking to buy a new T but i want somthing pretty and docile i would like to find somthing as docile as the avicularia species but i think there the most dosile if any body knows of anything pretty and docile let me know I need a new addition to my collection a :?

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kind of confused about what you are asking? Are you looking for a different genus? If so as far as arboreals go avics would be just about it, there are Psalmopoeus and Tapinauchenius but both are just a little more defensive than Avics. If you are ok with terrestrial than you have a few more options, first off I would say IMO the most docile of all would be the Grammostola aureostriata or chaco gold knee after that most any other Grammostola are usually pretty docile, also there is the Brachypelma genus they can be hair kickers but are pretty calm, then there is Eupalaestrus campestratus or PZB mine is still pretty small but have heard they are docile, next Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens "GBB" can be skittish and hair kickers but mine is real docile and not much of a kicker, Cyclosternum fasciatum or Costa Rican tiger rumps are pretty nice, that is a pretty good list of them to check out. If you get a little more spicific on your question maybe myself or someone else can narrow down the list and help you out a little better. Greg

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RE: new T

I own a cylosternum fasciatum shes in pre molt now and very agressive her bite hurts twice as bad as the aphonopelma seemanni i have which is twice her size but im going to look into the Grammostola Aureostriata thanks for the info aboreal or suboreal it doent matter just looking for a nice T so far im leaning towards the Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens (greenbottle Blue)but ill check out the Grammosstola
thanx:rolleyes:

bodc21

Arachnojason
Old Timer
Pink Zebra Beauty (Eupalaestrus campestratus) thats what i'd get if you want somthing beautiful and extreamly docile hell i plan to get one myself and have wanted one for sometime!

Pixie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you're looking for a generally very docile T, you can't go wrong with grammostola aureostriata and eupalaetus campestratus. I have handled a few specimens of each and found that all were very calm and tolerated handling well.

I'm sure there are exceptions like with any other species but I guess that they don't come as frequently in those particular species. I've handled a few rosies and now have one of my own but they can be testy sometimes and totally change on you. When I first got my Rocco, I was able to handle him without any problems. Now if I go near him, he puts on a big threat display... :(

Pixie

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

the choco and the pink beauty are nice specimens but im looking for color still leaning towards the Grammostola aureostriata allthough it may not be very docile. Any othr ideas feel free to let me know im not just gonna rush into a new T i need sumthin extravagant but the north east coast is hard to find the docile beauties needs color and like i said suboreal or aboreal doesnt matter thanx for your oppinions so far send more ideas my way I appreciate it. :D

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Go for the Grammostola aureostriata! I have 4 adult females and only one is abit fiesty but it's also the smaller of the group. The larger ones all seem very calm, and tolerant of my attemps at handing which I'm still practicing. They're great!

Here is the only handling pic I have of my favorite girl, Twitchy. She got camera shy at the last minute.:D

Big, beautiful, and very docile! Everyone that sees them comment on how beautiful they are! Even those that are afraid of spiders can see the beauty in them.

I have a Eupalaetus campestratus too and she is a little brat!! She darts around and slaps at my hand. She is only about 3", so I'm hoping that she'll calm down as she gets older and larger.

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Holy Mavis Beacon Batman! Someone's stolen all the punctuation as well as the shift key from that lad's keyboard!

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I've got a real soft spot for most Grammastola to begin with... Grammastola aureostriatum is a really large spider then grown and seems to take to handling and showing off quite well. Now if you really want to make an investment on a laid back Grammastola... I've gotta say get the pulchra... Gets large and that shiny black body has to be icing on a great docile species
:D

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

WOW Dianne thats gotta be the prettiest T ive seen in a while large too I like the shiny yellow bands on her knee but what are my chances of getting one that looks as pretty as that all the Grammostola aureostriata ive looked at werent as beautifull as yours I'll look into them wow nice T ;) my options are still open people c'mon Ideas :confused:

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avicularia minatrix.I've had 3 of them for some time now and have never seen a threat display from any one of them.Very docile and quite striking to look at.Downfall..they don't get very big..appr.3-4" mature...peace..

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

I have an A. avicularia in fact i think all the avicularia species are very beautifull and docile but im looking for a species that i don't have although it was a good idea
thanx pete

still looking for suggestions although i have quite a few ideas now. Thanx for all the posts every 1 please keep sending them when i do get a new addition i will let you all know and post a pic for you all to see thank you :)

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: RE: new T

Originally posted by xalbinox
I have an A. avicularia in fact i think all the avicularia species are very beautifull and docile but im looking for a species that i don't have although it was a good idea
thanx pete

still looking for suggestions although i have quite a few ideas now. Thanx for all the posts every 1 please keep sending them when i do get a new addition i will let you all know and post a pic for you all to see thank you :)
First off minatrix is a different species from Avic avic (same genus, different species), but as minatrix go they are maybe the most different looking of the avic genus, so if all you have of the Avic genus is an Avic avic you may want to give looking at a minatrix a second thought.
Chaco as I said in my first post are pretty much as docile as they get and as appearance goes I feel they are much nicer to look at then most other stripe knees that they resemble because of there bright gold knees. Greg

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Avicularia minatrix.Color and patterns are carried into adulthood.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sweet Pete, I just lost mine to a bad molt a couple months ago, Raised it from around 1/2" would have been around 3" after that molt, that is the first and only one I have ever lost to a bad molt. I have replace with two new ones that are getting close to an inch now, also bought them at a half inch. Greg

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Bearskin10
Sweet Pete, I just lost mine to a bad molt a couple months ago, Raised it from around 1/2" would have been around 3" after that molt, that is the first and only one I have ever lost to a bad molt. I have replace with two new ones that are getting close to an inch now, also bought them at a half inch. Greg
Ouch..drag to loose for sure..especially raising from sling to almost maturity.The one pictured is of my mature female.She's appr 3.5".I have 2 others around the 1.75" mark.Although I haven't positively ID'd gender it looks like one is male and the other female.I'm hoping one is male to breed with my adult female..**fingers crossed***.Not too often you hear of someone wishing male...lol....peace..

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by pelo
Ouch..drag to loose for sure..especially raising from sling to almost maturity.The one pictured is of my mature female.She's appr 3.5".I have 2 others around the 1.75" mark.Although I haven't positively ID'd gender it looks like one is male and the other female.I'm hoping one is male to breed with my adult female..**fingers crossed***.Not too often you hear of someone wishing male...lol....peace..
Yea was a hard hit, was maybe my favorite T. not only docile like most Avics but also very calm unlike most Avics, anyways the other two doing good, almost past that 1" mark, with Avics I feel below that is the danger zone.
Funny how that works, but once you get a nice female army you find yourself wanting more and more males. Good luck with that, would be very cool to get a minatrix sac.
Sorry about the thread jacking xalbinox, and now back to the show. Greg

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by burnpile
Holy Mavis Beacon Batman! Someone's stolen all the punctuation as well as the shift key from that lad's keyboard!
Now it's my turn to thank you for a good laughter! =D

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Nice T pete pretty too ill also keep that species in mind any 1 else wanna post a pic of what they got post it im ready to grab 1 tommorows the day for a new T =D

xalbinox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

C'mon no ideas or pics im all for it tomorrow send em tell em hook it up peeps what am i gettin?:?