Looking for a new T for beginners

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
So just got my 1st T yesterday but looking to start a collection. I got a G. Pulchripes sling and it's a little beauty I'm in love with it already. So I will be buying all slings to raise them myself, it's going to take some time I know but anyone have ideas of real fast growers that would suit someone new to the hobby.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Being you, I wouldn't buy slings only, at this stage. In the middle, I would 'thrown in' a sexed female (of course, purchased from a trusted seller, and that belongs to the suitable beginner friendly species)... just for watch better, with another perspective, the 'dynamics' of the T's keeping :)

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
All I’ve ever gotten was slings....you’ve gotta be patient though.....

I always recommend B.albo mine has gained close to 3” in a year.
Lasidora parahybana(probably butchered that) they grow really fast.

And psalmopoeus cambridgei
Mine has gained about 2-3” in just a few months.
This last one is airboreal though and very fast when it wants to be, it’s not considered a beginners T by most if not all T keepers. I mentioned it bc it grows insanely fast. A beginner keeping this spider has been done successfully. Only u know what you can handle. Do lots of research and watch lots of videos before u buy one.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Being you, I wouldn't buy slings only, at this stage. In the middle, I would 'thrown in' a sexed female (of course, purchased from a trusted seller, and that belongs to the suitable beginner friendly species)... just for watch better, with another perspective, the 'dynamics' of the T's keeping :)
So juveniles or sub adult? I like the idea of huge spiders but I don't want to buy an adult that turns out to be a male and I'm lucky to have it for a couple of years. My dealer also only has limited stock of adults but a huge variety of slings

All I’ve ever gotten was slings....you’ve gotta be patient though.....

I always recommend B.albo mine has gained close to 3” in a year.
Lasidora parahybana(probably butchered that) they grow really fast.

And psalmopoeus cambridgei
Mine has gained about 2-3” in just a few months.
This last one is airboreal though and very fast when it wants to be, it’s not considered a beginners T by most if not all T keepers. I mentioned it bc it grows insanely fast. A beginner keeping this spider has been done successfully. Only u know what you can handle. Do lots of research and watch lots of videos before u buy one.
Do any of they sp grow +6" I want a collection of huge spiders one day.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So juveniles or sub adult? I like the idea of huge spiders but I don't want to buy an adult that turns out to be a male and I'm lucky to have it for a couple of years. My dealer also only has limited stock of adults but a huge variety of slings
Sure, a juvenile is fine, and that's why I've said "from a trusted seller" because the risk to buy - and pay for - a female and ending with a male, is almost non existent from reliable breeders, which the UK (Scotland included of course) has plenty :)

RonC

Arachnopeon
I've only been keeping Ts for a couple of months. My first was a G.pulchripes too. GBB is on my shortlist. Grows reasonably quick and doesn't tend to burrow. It will spin web everywhere. Some Lasiodora would be good too. I'm trying for 1 inch or 25 mm as minimum from now on.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Sure, a juvenile is fine, and that's why I've said "from a trusted seller" because the risk to buy - and pay for - a female and ending with a male, is almost non existent from reliable breeders, which the UK (Scotland included of course) has plenty :)
I buy from thespidershop.Co.UK obviously just started and only bought one sling but was professionally packed and he looks to be healthy and has ate already just looking for a fast growing sp that also grows big like the G. Pulchripes I bought but this sp is a slow grower IMG-20181219-WA0002.jpg

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I've only been keeping Ts for a couple of months. My first was a G.pulchripes too. GBB is on my shortlist. Grows reasonably quick and doesn't tend to burrow. It will spin web everywhere. Some Lasiodora would be good too.
How many do you have? I just like the idea of the big 20cm+ ones probably in the future I will buy others but now I just want the big guys

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I buy from thespidershop.Co.UK obviously just started and only bought one sling but was professionally packed and he looks to be healthy and has ate already just looking for a fast growing sp that also grows big like the G. Pulchripes I bought but this sp is a slow grower View attachment 295292
Yes, I know that shop, and, while I've never purchased from those, I can say that they are ok. I have no doubts that they pack and ship as 'Pro'.

My point was another... IMO, with a juve/adult, you can gain another 'view', insight, experience of the T's care/keeping. How a sling (no matter which species) behave and how a juve/adults behave is different.

But this is only an advice, do what you want, of course.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Yes, I know that shop, and, while I've never purchased from those, I can say that they are ok. I have no doubts that they pack and ship as 'Pro'.

My point was another... IMO, with a juve/adult, you can gain another 'view', insight, experience of the T's care/keeping. How a sling (no matter which species) behave and how a juve/adults behave is different.

But this is only an advice, do what you want, of course.
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Grammostola actaeon
Nhandu chromatus
Nhandu tripepii
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
That's the choices I'm limited to for now for juveniles unless I go for OW T''s but I've heard there harder to keep and not for new keepers like me. So what you thinking?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Grammostola actaeon
Nhandu chromatus
Nhandu tripepii
Psalmopoeus cambridgei
That's the choices I'm limited to for now for juveniles unless I go for OW T''s but I've heard there harder to keep and not for new keepers like me. So what you thinking?

Personally I would avoid P.cambridgei. They are amazing, extremely fast growers, and in my opinion, overall, this species is a perfect arboreal for starting to keep arboreal T's, but not definitely for someone that only cared (starting yesterday) for a G.pulchripes sling.

Being you I would buy A.geniculata or one of those Nhandu species, for gain/learn about a bit of that 'thrill' feeding response :pompous:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I buy from thespidershop
Check out So Many Legs, Tarantulas Glasgow (either on FB or speak to @KezyGLA on here) or Portsmouth Tarantulas. All an absolute pleasure to deal with, they also tend to have a much better selection of sexed tarantulas than The Spider Shop (don't buy unsexed juveniles from TSS, you will almost certainly get males).

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Plus, since if I'm not wrong I was able to understand from your posts here that you seek 'bigger' T's, well, a female A.geniculata is your best bet. And they are basically almost out in the open all the time.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Personally I would avoid P.cambridgei. They are amazing, extremely fast growers, and in my opinion, overall, this species is a perfect arboreal for starting to keep arboreal T's, but not definitely for someone that only cared (starting yesterday) for a G.pulchripes sling.

Being you I would buy A.geniculata or one of those Nhandu species, for gain/learn about a bit of that 'thrill' feeding response :pompous:
So I've went for the nahndu chromatus aka the white striped bird eater. Due to the holidays it won't be sent till the new year but I will post a pic when it arrives can't wait already. Can't believe how addictive this hobby is.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
So I've went for the nahndu chromatus aka the white striped bird eater. Due to the holidays it won't be sent till the new year but I will post a pic when it arrives can't wait already. Can't believe how addictive this hobby is.
Nice choice, man. Btw, stick to scientific names... common names (aside very few such, for instance, 'GBB' and 'OBT') brings nothing but confusion :writer:

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Check out So Many Legs, Tarantulas Glasgow (either on FB or speak to @KezyGLA on here) or Portsmouth Tarantulas. All an absolute pleasure to deal with, they also tend to have a much better selection of sexed tarantulas than The Spider Shop (don't buy unsexed juveniles from TSS, you will almost certainly get males).
Does tarantulas Glasgow have a store I'm only 15 minutes from Glasgow City Centre ive just went and ordered another from tss but won't be here till after the new year.