Looking for a new pet but..

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I'm not really sure what to get. I used to be deep in the scorpion hobby, but sold most of them after my child got to an age where she was constantly wanting to get into the cages.

I have this old tank sitting around that I used to house the slings in (Needs to emptied and cleaned, don't judge me haha) but I'm hoping to find a suitable, non-venomous/poisonous invert of some variety to keep in here that I can have on my desk and observe. Preferably nothing that burrows as I want to actually -see- them. I'm really interested in mantids and large beetles, but would really like suggestions for anything that would look nice as a fully decked out display at my work space. Thanks!

Not sure the exact dimensions of the tank, it's custom made, I think it's 8gallons. You can see an old emperor scorpion sling molt sitting on top as well.

Last edited:

Francesco

Arachnopeon
What about a millipide, a giant slug or Anthia sexmaculata (Egyptian Predatory Beatle). I personaly love ants :)

Last edited:

Khagra

Arachnosquire
I was under the impression millipedes burrow quite a bit, is that not true? :O

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I was under the impression millipedes burrow quite a bit, is that not true? :O
If you get multiple it's likely there'll be at least one visible at any given time. How active they are varies from species to species and individual to individual

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Darkling beetles make for great display pets. Really active and hardy.

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
if you have some experience with spiders then a jumping spider is a great option. i know you want to use that tank but thats way too big for a jumper. a small arboreal enclosure is perfect with some sticks in it and a hide (there usually out but they go in there if there tired and they retreat into it at night) the enclosure is small enough to set down on your desk so it makes an amazing display animal. i recommend Phidippus regius.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Snails are one of my personal favorites, and if it's watertight you could go for any number of aquatic invertebrates--insects, particularly insect larva, gastropods, leeches, etc.

Khagra

Arachnosquire
hmm... Mantids probably seem like best suggestion at this point.
What are cheap "starter" mantids that you guys would recommend?