Looking for a dry climate T

Therablondi

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

I live in North America. I am looking for a T that can live in dry climate. Around 40-60% humidity. Maybe
More during summer.

Also the biggest T possible. I was thinking about a T blondi but it need too much humidity. And Im too noob for care and maintenance.

Thank a lot!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I live in North America. I am looking for a T that can live in dry climate.
And why? Do you plan to release said Theraphosidae in your garden, perhaps? :playful:

I'm joking... I know what you mean. In all honesty a female of G.pulchripes is probably the best spider, at the moment, considering everything from 'size', 'easy to care', parameters and last but not least, the level of experience you have.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Why must it be something that lives in a dry climate?

Humidity numbers mean nothing to tarantulas - the only form of moisture that matters is the moisture of their substrate. Just pour water directly into the substrate as little or much as needed and call it a day.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Hi all!

I live in North America. I am looking for a T that can live in dry climate. Around 40-60% humidity. Maybe
More during summer.

Also the biggest T possible. I was thinking about a T blondi but it need too much humidity. And Im too noob for care and maintenance.

Thank a lot!
Humidity is pointless. The only thing that really matters is substrate dampness. That being said, I would recommend G. pulchripes like @Chris LXXIX said. Also, read this. It is very helpful.

Therablondi

Arachnopeon
no Im not planning to release it :p but Having to control humidity and temperatures and all the others stuff is kind of hard for a noob. I was thinking about a T blondi or Orange babboun but now after reading on this forum im more looking into a NW. but I want the fattest biggest mama :D

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Hi all!

More during summer.

Thank a lot!
What species have you kept?

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
no Im not planning to release it :p but Having to control humidity and temperatures and all the others stuff is kind of hard for a noob. I was thinking about a T blondi or Orange babboun but now after reading on this forum im more looking into a NW. but I want the fattest biggest mama :D
Seriously, keeping Ts is far simpler than you're seeming to think it is. It isn't like reptiles where you need to monitor exact temps and humidity numbers - most Ts do great at room temp (high 60s - high 70s with a bit of wiggle room either way) and just giving more or less water and ventilation as necessary. That's all there is to it! :)

As long as you're planning to be hands-off, I bet you'd enjoy Acanthoscurria geniculata - great big murder tanks that believe everything is food until they've tested it themselves to make sure it isn't food. Readily available and inexpensive, they get pretty large (~8") and are very attractive Ts that will regularly hang out in the open on display. A bit testy sometimes and their voracious appetites can make them seem a handful, but it's absolutely doable by the attentive newbie. It'll also behave relatively similar to the behavior you could expect from a Theraphosa. ;)

They do like some moisture, but again, it's literally just as simple as keeping the water dish full and wetting down some substrate every so often.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yes, guessed that, I was just joking because saying "I am looking for a T that can live in dry climate" sound bizarre, unless someone plans to release said spider in his/her garden, where the general environment/temperature/whatever of said garden, could be similar to said spider native habitat.

You clearly are 'looking for easy to care NW T's', and it's perfectly ok, but pay anyway attention with the whole NW 'universe'... meaning, don't think for a minute that NW is always and necessarily equal to 'easy', that's not anywhere near the truth, for that there's a nice amount of NW's T's species that, parameter talking, are a nice 'challenge'.

So G.pulchripes female would be the biggest easy care T?
Yeah... makes her way in the podium.

Easy to care (laughable care), a nice size (stick with a sexed juvenile/adult female, I would avoid a sling, being you), overall a IMO good looking spiders, beginner-friendly... what else?

Therablondi

Arachnopeon
Cool cool!

Thank a lot for all the info! I will be looking for a T in soon! But before I will prepare her environment. Looking for a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium? Glass or plastic?

And those T are not arboreal? They dig???

Thank ! I will read this forum! There so much info! I will send pic of my T soon :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
But before I will prepare her environment. Looking for a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium? Glass or plastic?
Glass or plastic isn't important (I have both, altough more plastic enclosures than glass ones) but don't fall into that 20/30/whatever Gargantuan sized aquariums madness.
There's absolutely no need for such space, what matters is the set up and the parameters (that in the case of this species, especially with juve/adults, are: bone dry substrate, a water dish).

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Cool cool!

Thank a lot for all the info! I will be looking for a T in soon! But before I will prepare her environment. Looking for a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium? Glass or plastic?

And those T are not arboreal? They dig???
A 20 gallon would honestly be overkill for even a T. blondi or T. stirmi, a 10 gallon tank or something of similar sizes will be plenty adequate for any suitable adult starter T. Depending on how big it is when you get it, you may even want to start off in smaller enclosures such as critter keepers until it gets larger, so it can easier find prey and water.

Any species mentioned thus far is indeed terrestrial.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
What about this one?

Psalmopoeus irminia
I'm inclined to say no on this one. Beautiful NW arboreals, but the Psalmopoeus genus can pack attitude that'd make OWs like Poecis seem polite and their bite packs a bit more of a wallop than give average NW.

You're far better off sticking to something terrestrial for now. P. irminia are readily available and not going anywhere any time soon.

Zachary Bissinger

Arachnopeon
Hi all!

More during summer.

Thank a lot!
I got a grammostola actaeon tarantula and I keep it in dry substrate with a water dish. It's quite active and built a "tarantula" made canyon around it's hole and has a great personality. It's pretty fast though haha.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
What about this one?

Psalmopoeus irminia

Based on your originally specified desires that is the OPPOSITE of what you want. LOL. It prefers a moist environment and doens't get as big and fat. Also it will probably usually just stay hidden out of sight 99.5% of the time.

Therablondi

Arachnopeon
I just found a nice deal around my place. It a T blondi? Or stirmi? All equiped for 350

And girls ;)

Loll Chris LXXIX, is it a good deal? At least there I will have the real deal! A nice T Blondi :D!

And it kind of old! So wont be hurt if I dont husbandry 100% good

With your help guys I can make that baby girl go big and healthy :D

Last edited by a moderator: