Looking after a D. Lapidosus and it's eggs

Kron

Arachnosquire
blag 015.jpg I adopted a Drassodes lapidosus 4 days ago and this morning I found it had laid an egg sac. First of all when will the eggs hatch? will the mother die to feed them? does moisture, temp. et cetera effect the eggs? Will the mother look after or eat the spiderlings? how should I house and feed the spiderlings? How long will the mother live in general?

You may be able to tell that I'm a little inexperienced XD

Last edited:

Kron

Arachnosquire
Wow, I'm kinda depressed now. some stick or something damaged the egg sac and the mother seeing the hole decided to eat them all. It's things like this that make me think over my liking of spiders :/

Last edited:

Beary Strange

Arachnodemon
Wow, I'm kinda depressed now. some stick or something damaged the egg sac and the mother seeing the hole decided to eat them all. It's things like this that make me think over my liking of spiders :/
It is sad but if the sac was damaged while the eggs were still developing, there's a good chance harm came to the eggs anyway so what she did was just, practical. It's an unfortunate aspect of working with animals that run on instinct, not feelings.

Kron

Arachnosquire
Indeed, still a shame though. On the plus side she's a lot calmer now.

Kron

Arachnosquire
Yay it's finally laid another egg sac and it looks even bigger than the last one ^_^ answers to my previous questions would now be very useful

Last edited:

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Gnaphosids are egg laying machines.

Are there gnaphosids that exceed 20 mm in bl?

I remember seeing a "gnaphosidae sp chile" on kenthebugguy's site, but it was obviously either a mygalomorph, or an enormous haplogyne species..

Kron

Arachnosquire
cool :) so got any info for me, like when they'll hatch and how to look after them?