Look what the cat dragged in

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Ok I feel really bad about this so please dont lecture me on letting cats outside.

Apparently one of our neighbors has a pond because our cat came home with THIS. And its alive. For now.

It has a gill wound and a belly wound and a few punctures/scratches, and its tail fin is a little mangled. What do you think the odds of its living are? I put it in fresh water with dechlorinate stuff that coats fins and is supposed to help with stress. I have some bubbles going in there and he is moving around.

I DONT HAVE GOLD FISH FOOD; is there any fresh food they are able to eat? Should he be fed while possibly recovering?

Im thinking if he shows signs of long term survival, I'll give him to friends of ours who already have a lot of experience caring for gold fish. Ive only got experience with Bettas.

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
slim to none probably, but it may. no fresh food that I can think of, just flakes

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Zucchini and romaine lettuce will hold it over until you can get some goldfish food. Even with flakes, goldfish need fresh vegetables for supplementation.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Oh interesting. Well my mom is out now getting fish food. I wish I still had antibiotics left from the last fish. (Betta) If this guy does live Im seriously considering giving him to our friends. Bad enough he was ripped out of his pond home, but sticking him into this small tank isnt fair. Im reluctant to go knocking on neighbors doors to try and ask "Is this your fish"...lol weird.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
And he died just a few minutes ago. He started slowing down and then I found him floating on his side...and now hes gone. :( Poor thing. I still cant believe our cat brought home a GOLDFISH :eek:

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Least the cat didn't bring home an oscar! Although that would have probably had a better chance. Those fish are tough as nails!

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
Im just glad it wasnt a Koi! Those fish can be sooo expensive. We dont know where Goldie came from though...we'd have to knock on doors. I feel bad about it though. Poor fish.:eek: :(

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what cats do. They are one of the worst predators of native and non-native species.

redsaw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok I feel really bad about this so please dont lecture me on letting cats outside.

Apparently one of our neighbors has a pond because our cat came home with THIS. And its alive. For now.

Im thinking if he shows signs of long term survival, I'll give him to friends of ours who already have a lot of experience caring for gold fish. Ive only got experience with Bettas.
Edit-
Guess that I should read all of the replys first

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok I feel really bad about this
at least it was just a gold fish. just wait until the cat brings back a baby rabbit. or some birds. our cat just recently caught a robin and took it downstairs. I found it before it was killed but it's wing was damn near broken off, so there really wasn't much of a chance for it anyway.

Last edited:

bigdog999

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Guess its according to which side of the fence you're on. They do the most damage to native wildlife of any animal.

The_Phantom

Scarlet O' Hairy
Old Timer
at least it was just a gold fish. just wait until the cat brings back a baby rabbit. or some birds. our cat just recently caught a robin and took it downstairs. I found it before it was killed but it's wing was damn near broken off, so there really wasn't much of a chance for it anyway.
This cat DID bring home a baby rabbit! Fortunately it was still alive so we took it to a wild life shelter. All the live prey he's brought home we've taken to the shelter. We have 3 cats and Charlie is the only one who goes outside. Usually hes let out between 9:30 am and 2:30-3:00. Yes, he has a curfew and follows it most days! LOL. Anyway we found him abandoned in a parking lot so hes used to being outdoors and it would be torture for him to be cooped inside because hes so crazy-active. The other cats have little desire to go out.

BrotherM213

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's very commendable. I usually just put the survivors on the other side of the fence. Both of our cats were abandoned/strays too. the boy was maybe two weeks old and found under a truck in the middle of winter and the girl was found a couple months before him at about 6 weeks old. tried making them indoor cats but once they figured out the doggy door it was all over. atleast they stay in the backyard.