look what i got today!

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Very nice! What are you planning to use for substrate?

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
WayneT said:
Very nice! What are you planning to use for substrate?
any suggestions wayne?? i plan to use peat moss around 6-7inches for both of them... :eek:

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nice spider. WHat are you useing for substrate? How big are they?

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
Nice spider. WHat are you useing for substrate? How big are they?
around 3inches... but these guys are fast!! and i'm not sure bout their toxicity of it's venom.... LOL... :D

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Cute. I seem to remember from recent posts that these have very specific care needs and hot venom, so take care.

cichlidsman

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
versus said:
any suggestions wayne?? i plan to use peat moss around 6-7inches for both of them... :eek:
I would'nt use 100%peat because the burrows dont seem to hold togather good. Mix the peat with soem pot soil.

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
luther said:
Cute. I seem to remember from recent posts that these have very specific care needs and hot venom, so take care.
thanks.. no prob :cool:

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
cichlidsman said:
I would'nt use 100%peat because the burrows dont seem to hold togather good. Mix the peat with soem pot soil.
I think this is good advice. You could also go potting soil and vermiculite mix. I think this species uses its webbing to cement particles together to make the trap door. Should be a blast to watch. :}

SeanJo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd like to see that little ugly guy tear up a few crickets... :)

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
versus said:
Professor T beat me to it...vermiculite and peat would be my choice! Please take pics of the construction project as well!

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it seems that what you have there is a Liphistiidae and not a trapdoor-spider,
note the segmentation of the opistosoma!

congrats, you've got a dinosaur amongst the spiders

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wrong catagory. if its a trap door its not a tarantula and belongs in other arachnids

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I still bet it is some sort of Mesothelae/Liphistiidae

@versus: could you please snap a picture of its underside, perhaps by putting it in a clear deli cup?

it should have its spinnerets right behind the booklungs and the chelicera should open in an intermediar way called plagiognath.
not the downward way (orthognath) like in tarantulas or the sideways way (labidognath) like in true spiders, but something in between!

thanks in advance
Bernhard

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i just got these guys not long.. so do u guys have any advise for their enclosure setups> and care?? if yes, mind post some pics of your setups?? thanks, mate... :rolleyes:

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What Spiff is describing actually sounds more interesting than a trapdoor. I hope you will get the picture of the underside.

Also, you sort of need to know what you have before you finalize your set-up plans, don't you? What is it doing so far? Have you fed it already?

Edit: I just googled and the links aren't great so far:

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/l/li/liphistiidae.html

But it says it is a primitive type of trapdoor spider? Where did you get this interesting spider?

Last edited:

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have no clue how to care for them, but i guess a high groundlevel, and a moderately humid and warm climate is fine.

sorry i don'have better advice, I havent kept anything else than tarantulas and beetles

greetings
Bernhard