Look at those little guys...

Adnan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
This female is from the state of Rondonia. Another color variation of P. fera, maybe...

FOX

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Adnan said:
Hi, James!

For you, the common name is Banana Spider and Brazilian Wandering Spider.
Here in Brazil, its "Armadeira"!
Just love those pics, I was getting quite absorbed by your little guys until i read they are BANANA spiders :eek:
That made my blood run cold as My little lad found one about an inch & a half long in a bunch of fruit from the local supermarket here in England, it was taken away for id & was found to be the wondering spider-i've seen what these mean little gits can do :eek: The supermarket gave me loads of freebies afterwards.

Still they are very very cute. :rolleyes:

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Interesting

Adnan said:
This female is from the state of Rondonia. Another color variation of P. fera, maybe...

Hey guys,

sorry, for the late reply.

Thanks for the info on locality and especially for that comparison pic!

Yeah, guess you´re right on the money, may well be another colour-form of P. fera. I´m very interested in this topic lately, as there seems to be at least two different P. fera variants around, probably even more than two.

I´ve kept P. fera in the past, the specimen originated from french-guyane and looked very different to your specimens. Now i stumbled across some pics from even more different P. fera´s. Even more i found some report from brazil that dealt with the first time finding of another P. fera variant in Para, Brazil. Now i´m wondering how many "fera" there are around...

Even worse is the situation with the different Phoneutria specs originating from Ecuador. I´ve several pics of Phoneutria specs from Ecuador, Bolivia and Columbia each showing very different looking spiders. For sure they´re not P. boliviensis, which looks quite unique...

I stumbled about some statements from Pro´s (scientists) that it is well known there are some more species around in that countries that are yet to be described. Very interesting to me, but also very confusing. :confused:

The situation gets furthermore complicated by pics that are "unconfirmed", which means, the author of the pics states, the spider shown shall be a Phoneutria xxx. Problem is, the shown spider differs so much from "confirmed" Phoneutria that it´s hard for me to believe, that that statement ist true...

I already mailed Butantan for help but they didn´t even reply, guess they have some other business at their hands, than to help out a "crazy german guy" with his "poisonous spider problems" :D

Well, at least we´ll have enough to talk about in the future... I´d really like to see the whole genus revised again soon, but have to admit, i think that´s just wish-full thinking.

Greetings,

Stefan

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im sure the pattern varies alot on fera depending on locality, just as nigriventer can look very different even within the same locality.

/Lelle

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Hey guys,

Well, at least we´ll have enough to talk about in the future... I´d really like to see the whole genus revised again soon, but have to admit, i think that´s just wish-full thinking.

It was fairly recently revised, and I dont see a need for another revision. Why do you think so?

/Lelle

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
It was fairly recently revised, and I dont see a need for another revision. Why do you think so?

/Lelle
Hi Lelle,

out of two reasons:

The fera-species found in Para obviously differs so much from the described species that the scientists got quite confused. Sounded like a lot more than just another colour-morph.

The species running around in Ecuador. Several scientists worldwide agree that there´s at least one species still to be described. From the pics i have, which can be indeed misleading, i wouldn´t be surprised to hear there´s more than one "new" species...

Greetings,

Stefan

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stefan2209 said:
Hi Lelle,

out of two reasons:

The fera-species found in Para obviously differs so much from the described species that the scientists got quite confused. Sounded like a lot more than just another colour-morph.

The species running around in Ecuador. Several scientists worldwide agree that there´s at least one species still to be described. From the pics i have, which can be indeed misleading, i wouldn´t be surprised to hear there´s more than one "new" species...

Greetings,

Stefan
Previosly they believed a colorform of nigriventer was another species, P. keyserlingi. Color is not enough to give it species status which the latest revision showed.
Same with the fera variations (if thats the case).

For the ecuadorian example, im sure that might be true but a genus revision isnt needed to include another species to a genus (acctually this goes for example no 1 aswell).

What I would like to see is a large well written article about Phoneutria with all the members of the genus represented and images of different localities etc.

/Lelle

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Previosly they believed a colorform of nigriventer was another species, P. keyserlingi. Color is not enough to give it species status which the latest revision showed.
Same with the fera variations (if thats the case).

For the ecuadorian example, im sure that might be true but a genus revision isnt needed to include another species to a genus (acctually this goes for example no 1 aswell).

What I would like to see is a large well written article about Phoneutria with all the members of the genus represented and images of different localities etc.

/Lelle
Hey again,

Guess your right on the revision thing, nevertheless i´d like to see it done as in my opinion there are more questions opened than solved with the actual status.

Yeah, a nice article about the genus based on recently done research would really be highly appreaciated. But for that, wishfull thinking!

I had recently been very active again in screening for photos of Phoneutria specs from different countries, seems this is a never-ending topic. I´d really like to know, if there´s anybody out there who can tell the true story about solitary species and just colour-morphs. For me, i doubt it.

Enough with this, now to a more practical aspect of Phoneutria spiders. Seems the waterdish of my "lil wife" needed refilling, problem was, the spider apparently had a different opinion about that matter. Take a look for yourself...

Going out of my way? No way!

Note one of the last legs pressed against the backwall, ready to do a jump in no time...

Greetings,

Stefan

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
wow wow wow :eek: :eek: :eek:

:drool: :drool: :drool:

(yep,... no words needed,.. only drooling smilies {D )

murinuz

Arachnopeon
Stefan2209 said:
Hi all,

no words needed, i guess.... ;P

:D :D :D

Greetings,

Stefan

:clap: :clap: :clap: :drool:

mom with her sac...soooo beautifull{D

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Beautiful! Beautiful! I`m just wondering, where would you keep like a thousand spiders, do you have like 500 jars sitting around your house? :O

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ryan Maguire said:
Beautiful! Beautiful! I`m just wondering, where would you keep like a thousand spiders, do you have like 500 jars sitting around your house? :O
Hi Ryan,

for now, that´s no problem, as the sac apparently dried out, so i´ve got zip from it. :mad:

On a more positive sidenote: the dried out eggs have been quite big, even they were dried, which might be an indicator that they had been fertilized and developed to some stage before they died.
So i had quite some hope, that the "mother" had indeed been sucessfull mated and might build me a second sac...
This hope has proofed to be correct: my lady build me a second nice sac this week, nearly of the same size as the first. Now i´ve to take steps to give her some better conditions with this one, perhaps i´ve got more luck in the second attempt...

To compensate for my allready blooming "father-feelings" i got a present from switzerland, 5 P. nigriventer Slings, enjoy... {D

Greetings,

Stefan

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They're growing up!

Thanks to Stefan and other hobbiests on this thread I purchased some 6 P. nigriventer slings Three months ago and don't regret it! They've molted five times in my care and are already turning into little monsters.

Stefan- that's too bad about the eggsac but congratulations on the new slings and best of luck with the next breedings.
Jamison

Attachments

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Soooo...can we look forward to Phoneutria being in the US hobby soon?:}

prankster705

Arachnopeon
Hmmmm, they sure look nice those are wandering spiders right, look good but I certainly would be afraid of one. Cool criters though. Stefan I hope you will have more luck with the eggs next time.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is there any way I can get some from somebody (preferably in the U.S.) either through sale or trade? Very nice pics all of you!! It's really cool to see the whole growth process!!

Stefan2209

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
prankster705 said:
Stefan I hope you will have more luck with the eggs next time.
Thanks everybody!

Well, let´s see, how this one will turn out... :confused:

Greetings,

Stefan