1)B.emilia(according to "Tarantulas keepers guide"
2)B.smithi
3)C.crawshayi(super slow growth rates
4)G.rosea
or any other species?

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Most brachys are slow growers I think thoug as far as long life spanns go C crawshyai should be number 1

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Interesting this topic was brought up. I was going to ask the forom: What is the average life span of avics? Versicolor in particular.

grammostola1953

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Brachys & Grammostolas seem to have the longest lifespans, according to e-spiderworld. Lots of good text there, though nothing on Avics, perhaps due to insufficient documentation, up to this point.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I would agree, due to lack of info we just don't know for sure....Does slow growing equate to long life spans? Was Stan's emilia typical of all emilias?
This hobby has grown exponentially in the last 20 years so everything we know comes from hobbyists, and very recently. The only thing we can do is keep track of spiders and dicuss our observations amongst each other....
T

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard that slow growing a s'ling results in a longer lifespan. Is this cos of the fact that it takes longer to mature, or because overfeeding results in an unhealthy T?

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
My oldist T a B.smithi died today at 17 years old iv heard many claims of 20-30 years for differnt Brachy's, from my own old B.smithi i would think there's a good chance there true.

Attachments

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Frylock, I take it you got it as an adult in the pre-CITES days?

That would make it likely over 20, maybe 25 years old !
T

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
monantony said:
Frylock, I take it you got it as an adult in the pre-CITES days?

That would make it likely over 20, maybe 25 years old !
T
Tony i got her as a juv in early 88 iirc from a summer 87 sac she was one of Ron Baxter’s breeding he used to have as many as 5 females on the go each year even back then :eek:
He’s getting on in years now and believe he’s cut his collection back now, just goes to show how one person breeding can make numbers up I think im right in thinking a lot of smithi that are from C/B backgrounds world wide are from his breedings
If only they had got them CITES earlyer think of all those suffering smithi's in glass coffins that could have been stop from ever being bred {D {D

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
North American native Aphonopelmas have been throught to live over 40 years...i beleive no one knows for sure though. they are pretty much the slowest growing species, taking forever to reach full size. can someone back me up on this one? :?

Arachnoteacher

Arachnopeon
Angelo said:
North American native Aphonopelmas have been throught to live over 40 years...i beleive no one knows for sure though. they are pretty much the slowest growing species, taking forever to reach full size. can someone back me up on this one? :?
Don't know were, don't know if it is true but I recall hearing that Aphonopelma hentzi takes 11 to 15 years to mature.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
also i've heard that H.schmidti has over 30 years lifespan but havn't been proved yet

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first "T"

When I was 18 (pre-CITIES) I got a WC B. smithi at about 4", I am not sure of the age of a 4" WC, but I am absolutely certain it was WC. (Interesting story). I then had her till I was 28, when a terrified common law girlfriend made me trade her for something less offensive (flying gecko).

Needless to say if her new owner took as good care of her as I did, she probably outlived the relationship with my ex, and could be still alive to this date. We'll never know.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I second this. If you compare what we know now about T keeping to what was known 20 years ago a lot has changed. I think that the quality of care for Ts in captivity is improving and that can extend lifespan.

Some species have not even been kept in captivity long enough for the hobby to see them go from sling to death by old age. Assuming a mean maximum lifespan of 15 years then it will be another decade before the average lifespan of these newer species can be assesed.

And for real accuracy it would require tracking every sling in a sac from several breedings and future owners reporting back to the breeder at death of the spider, even if it is two decades later. Anyone got time for a 20 year tracking project or two?

monantony said:
I would agree, due to lack of info we just don't know for sure....Does slow growing equate to long life spans? Was Stan's emilia typical of all emilias?
This hobby has grown exponentially in the last 20 years so everything we know comes from hobbyists, and very recently. The only thing we can do is keep track of spiders and dicuss our observations amongst each other....
T

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
A lot of C/B Brachys seem to pan out at 15-20 years total life span and yet there have been case’s of W/C adults living 10-20 as captives making them at least 15-25 possibly older
Iv always found keeping adult females stuffed with food all the time seems to shave a few years off them compared to there sisters (this with shorter lived species)
I wonder if there’s something in not power feeder younger animals too, or maybe its just coincidence that some animals live longer then others or unseen factors are at play (exposure to natural seasonal change/diet ect..) :?

DiSTuRBeD

Arachnopeon
The zoo Artis in Amsterdam (Holland) has had a female B. smithi that was 30 years old and i think that's a record...

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
How old would a WC 4" B. smithi be?

I cannot even begin to guess, as in the wild food is not allways available on a regular basis, as when in captivity.

Any guesses on how old a 4" WC B. smithi would be?? add the 10 years I had her, and we would have an approxiamate age before trade.

My current B. smithi which was said to be a slow grower went from a 1" sling in April to approxiamately 3" juvi. now, which is pretty quick. And my A. seemani went from a 2" sling in April to approxiamately 4" juvi. now.

As I am new to slings, the growth will slow down once they hit a certain size, correct??

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
DiSTuRBeD said:
The zoo Artis in Amsterdam (Holland) has had a female B. smithi that was 30 years old and i think that's a record...
A pic of the said individual can be found [thread=26376]here[/thread]!

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
FryLock said:
A lot of C/B Brachys seem to pan out at 15-20 years total life span and yet there have been case’s of W/C adults living 10-20 as captives making them at least 15-25 possibly older
Iv always found keeping adult females stuffed with food all the time seems to shave a few years off them compared to there sisters (this with shorter lived species)
I wonder if there’s something in not power feeder younger animals too, or maybe its just coincidence that some animals live longer then others or unseen factors are at play (exposure to natural seasonal change/diet ect..) :?
Another thing that may be factor (though hard to quantify ) is that CB individuals ALL get a major shot at adulthood, under extremely favorable conditions (in contrast with living wild). Does this mean they will attain a smaller size, more or less color....Longer or shorter longevity due to the fact the less strong do survive to have a shot at procreation...Masticaten that for a while...It seems even the simplest of questions can explode into dozens of "
ssq's " ;) It's almost as bad as taxonomy....split or lump...
T

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any one can offer info about an acurrate t age from eggs to the end, the longest one?

Last edited: