Long Rest After Moult

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
That makes sense. Since I have this water to damp a brush with, it wouldn't be far out of my way to drip some to the mouthparts. I am thinking maybe give it an hour before I do anything at all. If I see movement in that time, add another hour to the clock?
I wouldnt say that dehydration is an issue here though so you shouldn't need to drip water on the T.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Update: She still flexes when brushed gently. However, the portion of her abdomen that is still encased goes up around the back. I think more of her abdomen is still covered on the other side. It is clear from what I have on my desk that her chelicerae are free, but I am not sure if her opisthosoma is free at all.

Update on the update: She also moved independently, though did not right herself. But her legs seem to have a decent range of motion and she is not totally immobile.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
An update on the situation: She is still on her back. As best I can tell, she is just having trouble getting right side up, maybe? :/
Her anus is clear of any obstructions and she's pooped without issue.

Does anybody think this could simply be a mechanical issue? What I mean is, she is on a fairly flat surface and the top of her exuvum, while detached (or mostly detached), is still wedged under her. Could that be getting in the way of her knees, preventing her from getting the kind of purchase she needs on the substrate to right herself?

Last edited:

boina

Lady of the mites
Have you said what species it is and I just missed it? The older the tarantula is the longer it may take to 'catch her breath' after a molt. I've heard of elderly tarantulas needing 24 or even 48 hours to molt and get right side up again. If there's still part of the exuvia coving the abdomen I'd carefully peel it off, using a wet brush for example. I'd expect it to come off pretty easily, though - that's not a part that can really get stuck.

Other than that I'd still wait. ICUs are bad because they are an absolutely perfect breeding ground for bacteria - moist and warm. I wouldn't put my freshly molted and weak tarantula in a position to have to fight off bacteria (yes, tarantulas can get bacterial infections).

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Have you said what species it is and I just missed it? The older the tarantula is the longer it may take to 'catch her breath' after a molt. I've heard of elderly tarantulas needing 24 or even 48 hours to molt and get right side up again. If there's still part of the exuvia coving the abdomen I'd carefully peel it off, using a wet brush for example. I'd expect it to come off pretty easily, though - that's not a part that can really get stuck.

Other than that I'd still wait. ICUs are bad because they are an absolutely perfect breeding ground for bacteria - moist and warm. I wouldn't put my freshly molted and weak tarantula in a position to have to fight off bacteria (yes, tarantulas can get bacterial infections).
She is an older G. pulchripes, yeah. And it has been 48 hours as of this morning. I figure I might give her a couple more hours and see if there's a change? But she's been fidgeting periodically- to the point where she's on the opposite side of the tank to where she started her "rest." I have known Ts to stretch and flex, post molt, but never to crawl on their back like this.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
What I hope to be the final update: She is on her feet at long last! She just needed some extra water and a good long nap, I suppose. A good, 50 hour nap. @_@

Anyhow, I wanted to thank you all for your advice.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
She has been walking about and I finally get a good look at her underside. A worrying red lump (which I don't like), but otherwise, she looks intact. She has turned down food all this time, as well.

M gonna browse the forums for pictures showing something similar. @_@

Attachments

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
She has been walking about and I finally get a good look at her underside. A worrying red lump (which I don't like), but otherwise, she looks intact. She has turned down food all this time, as well.

M gonna browse the forums for pictures showing something similar. @_@
It isn't even really raised, so... maybe just a bald patch?