Long Rest After Moult

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Hi all!
This is my first post after all this time lurking, and I have a question I haven't been able to find a direct answer to in other threads: How long should one expect a T to rest on her back after moulting?

My eldest (probably about 15 years old now, how time flies!) started moulting the evening of the 21st before I went to work. She'd extricated herself from her old exoskeleton by the time I got home at 9am. It is now 11am the following day and she's still on her back. She's pushed the exuvum off herself at some point (though I haven't noticed her moving since I got home at 10:40ish) and her rump is not as plump as normal, though not really shriveled (which I know is to be expected). I am not super alarmed at this point, but she's the oldest T I have ever cared for- and I had sort of hoped she'd be upright by this point. I will post a pic as soon as I can get it off my garbage phone. ^^'

- George

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
After a full day she should definitely be back on her feet. Can you post some pictures of her?

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Here she is. Closest thing I can guess to being an irritant is that, upon closer inspection of the exuvum, there may still be some old exoskeleton on her silk organs. But I can't see that inclining her to remain prostrate like that. 24 hours isn't long for a tarantula to do (or not do) anything, especially one as old and mild mannered as Oki Kumo, here, and especially-especially after holding your breath and pulling your skin off over 8 hours. But I like to ask well before I am in a state of panic. Forewarned being forearmed and such.

(And in advance of being told not to disturb a T during a molt, she'd pushed the exuvum off herself and it rolled decently far off of her, so at no point did I touch my molting baby. I am intent on letting her rest up.)

Also, thank you all in advance for any responses.

Attachments

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I could be blind but is that exoskeleton still stuck on the end of abdomen? Also, have you seen any moment at all from her? I can see the fangs are starting to harden and by now I think your T should have definitely flipped back over.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
I could be blind but is that exoskeleton still stuck on the end of abdomen? Also, have you seen any moment at all from her? I can see the fangs are starting to harden and by now I think your T should have definitely flipped back over.
Well, I have only been home for a half hour or so, but she'd definitely moved her exuvum rather a lot since about 330am.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Oh, and there may be some old exoskeleton on her rump, but her book lungs are definitely uncovered as I can see the slits on the exuvum.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Oh, and there may be some old exoskeleton on her rump, but her book lungs are definitely uncovered as I can see the slits on the exuvum.
I wasn't too worried about the book lungs, what I was worried about is that if the abdomen wasn't molted out properly theres a chance that other things went wrong with the molt too. Before you do anything though I would suggest you wait for input from someone else, but if there is old molt still stuck to the abdomen you may need to end up helping to remove it as it could cause complications with pooping in the future.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
I wasn't too worried about the book lungs, what I was worried about is that if the abdomen wasn't molted out properly theres a chance that other things went wrong with the molt too. Before you do anything though I would suggest you wait for input from someone else, but if there is old molt still stuck to the abdomen you may need to end up helping to remove it as it could cause complications with pooping in the future.
She has had that problem before on top of her abdomen. A well damped paint brush got rid of it pretty well- if after lots of hair flicking. xD

*And yeah, if there is something up, I am not sure what I would be able to do about it anyhow, so I am just gonna keep an eye for some more advice. Maybe somebody sees something in the pic neither of us did. *shrugs*

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
She has had that problem before on top of her abdomen. A well damped paint brush got rid of it pretty well- if after lots of hair flicking. xD

*And yeah, if there is something up, I am not sure what I would be able to do about it anyhow, so I am just gonna keep an eye for some more advice. Maybe somebody sees something in the pic neither of us did. *shrugs*
Cool thing that its doing okay I hope it recovers from the molt well.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Cool thing that its doing okay I hope it recovers from the molt well.
Well, she's still on her back. I am really hesistant to try removing it now since she's still in postmolt but if I want her to survive, she may well need some help. Iunno.
The paintbrush thing worked before on a far less delicate area, a lot longer after her molt. But it may be worth a try now if no better ideas come up.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Well, she's still on her back. I am really hesistant to try removing it now since she's still in postmolt but if I want her to survive, she may well need some help. Iunno.
The paintbrush thing worked before on a far less delicate area, a lot longer after her molt. But it may be worth a try now if no better ideas come up.
I would wait until she's right side up before trying to remove it as there is probably more molt stuck to the top of the abdomen.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Honestly if the mouthparts, lungs and legs are free (which I believe they are) then I would just leave it be. There is nothing you can do but wait impatiently.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
For some reason I thought she was okay from reading but I hope she will be. I can't tell too well but it does look like the old exo is still connected so hopefully its in an area that won't be problematic.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
For some reason I thought she was okay from reading but I hope she will be. I can't tell too well but it does look like the old exo is still connected so hopefully its in an area that won't be problematic.
As its covering the spinnerets I'm pretty sure impaction would be an issue in the future if the molt wasn't removed. Sometimes I wonder how any tarantulas make it to breeding age.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
As its covering the spinnerets I'm pretty sure impaction would be an issue in the future if the molt wasn't removed. Sometimes I wonder how any tarantulas make it to breeding age.
Definitely. I am thinking, if her face were trapped as well, maybe she's unable to contort the right way to turn over as there may still be some leftover exoskeleton on her back. I am preparing an ICU and some other supplies in case I end up needing to try something drastic, but I am really hoping I don't need to use them. >:/

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Definitely. I am thinking, if her face were trapped as well, maybe she's unable to contort the right way to turn over as there may still be some leftover exoskeleton on her back. I am preparing an ICU and some other supplies in case I end up needing to try something drastic, but I am really hoping I don't need to use them. >:/
No no no ICU. Those are death traps and will do much more harm than good.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
Honestly if the mouthparts, lungs and legs are free (which I believe they are) then I would just leave it be. There is nothing you can do but wait impatiently.
That's pretty much where I am at right now. Though, if her fangs are hardening, she isn't total jelly anymore and might be able to take some kind of intervention- is my reasoning for perhaps either getting a lightly damp paintbrush or an icu in the works.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
No no no ICU. Those are death traps and will do much more harm than good.
I have seen 50-50 on that. Though, I haven't really seen anybody put any actual reasoning to either side. Rather, just what has or hasn't been their experience of one or the other option. I definitely won't be touching one until I am certain she's a goner either way. It is, to my mind, something to try when everything else has failed.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I have seen 50-50 on that. Though, I haven't really seen anybody put any actual reasoning to either side. Rather, just what has or hasn't been their experience of one or the other option. I definitely won't be touching one until I am certain she's a goner either way. It is, to my mind, something to try when everything else has failed.
I'm gonna give an abbreviated version of the arachnoboards hiveminds position. Tarantulas cannot gain moisture from the air, they can however be killed by stuffy conditions (avics are a prime example of this). Putting them in an ICU only stresses them and puts them in a dangerous environment. Even if the T was dehydrated the best thing to do would be to put it next to a full water dish, or if it was a really extreme case, flip it on it's back and drip water onto the mouthparts.

GeorgeTR

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna give an abbreviated version of the arachnoboards hiveminds position. Tarantulas cannot gain moisture from the air, they can however be killed by stuffy conditions (avics are a prime example of this). Putting them in an ICU only stresses them and puts them in a dangerous environment. Even if the T was dehydrated the best thing to do would be to put it next to a full water dish, or if it was a really extreme case, flip it on it's back and drip water onto the mouthparts.
That makes sense. Since I have this water to damp a brush with, it wouldn't be far out of my way to drip some to the mouthparts. I am thinking maybe give it an hour before I do anything at all. If I see movement in that time, add another hour to the clock?