LOL, did you know...

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
So, I was hanging out at a LPS yesterday checking out their T's and some lady comes in and starts talking about tarantulas to the clerk. I'm just sitting back and listening and all the sudden she drops some info about tarantulas that I never heard before. She says "A herpetologist I met said that when female tarantulas get ready to die they change back into a male." I couldn't help myself, I interrupted her and told her I didn't know where this herpetologist got his degree but he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and he should get his money back. I think the worst part was that the clerk didn't even try to correct her he simply said that they could be born as males too. I don't think that he wanted to upset her but it's kinda irresponsible to let someone run around spouting nonsense like that. Anyway, thought you guys might get a kick out of that bit of info. Next time I have a female on the verge of dying I think I might try to breed her to another female and see if magic happens lol.

gizmosdeath

Arachnopeon
You would assume that a herpetologist would have some common sense regarding other animals besides just reptiles though.

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
So, I was hanging out at a LPS yesterday checking out their T's and some lady comes in and starts talking about tarantulas to the clerk. I'm just sitting back and listening and all the sudden she drops some info about tarantulas that I never heard before. She says "A herpetologist I met said that when female tarantulas get ready to die they change back into a male." I couldn't help myself, I interrupted her and told her I didn't know where this herpetologist got his degree but he didn't know what the hell he was talking about and he should get his money back. I think the worst part was that the clerk didn't even try to correct her he simply said that they could be born as males too. I don't think that he wanted to upset her but it's kinda irresponsible to let someone run around spouting nonsense like that. Anyway, thought you guys might get a kick out of that bit of info. Next time I have a female on the verge of dying I think I might try to breed her to another female and see if magic happens lol.
Maybe it was a hermaphrodite ? I had to say that, must admit was funnier when I was just thinking about it.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Maybe it was a hermaphrodite ? I had to say that, must admit was funnier when I was just thinking about it.
LOL.. That's messed up, yet G. Rosea males have been known to molt back into a female after a time. Now that is dead seriousness.. And my buddy currently has a Gynandomorph exoskeleton(Both male and female organs) of a Pokie Subfusca

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
LOL.. That's messed up, yet G. Rosea males have been known to molt back into a female after a time. Now that is dead seriousness.. And my buddy currently has a Gynandomorph exoskeleton(Both male and female organs) of a Pokie Subfusca
Okay now I'm worried,in all seriousness how will it mate as male or female ?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
Okay now I'm worried,in all seriousness how will it mate as male or female ?
To answer that, it cannot mate, so unfortunately it will just die one day of old age or some other freak accident. Ill ask my buddy to take a photo so I can post it up here. I had asked this same question when I was told this information. I actually got to see the exoskeleton.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 03:01 PM ----------

Correction, it cannot reproduce.. Mating is another story if they would even try lol...

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
To answer that, it cannot mate, so unfortunately it will just die one day of old age or some other freak accident. Ill ask my buddy to take a photo so I can post it up here. I had asked this same question when I was told this information. I actually got to see the exoskeleton.

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 03:01 PM ----------

Correction, it cannot reproduce.. Mating is another story if they would even try lol...
To me this is interesting,is it a natural occurring gene that is carried over by reproduction and handed down to offspring ? Or did it occur due to the bloodline of the mated species being closely related ? Very interesting topic indeed,I would love to see that photo thanks for teaching me something new.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I would assume that this would cause enough of a confusion instinctually that these Gynandomorphs wouldn't attempt to mate, probably wouldn't quite understand what to do

---------- Post added 01-13-2015 at 03:09 PM ----------

To me this is interesting,is it a natural occurring gene that is carried over by reproduction and handed down to offspring ? Or did it occur due to the bloodline of the mated species being closely related ? Very interesting topic indeed,I would love to see that photo thanks for teaching me something new.
Perhaps this happens with cross mating.. Such as a highland and lowland subfusca mating.. Like you said very interesting

I will be asking these questions he should be looking into it any day now whens he's got a bit of free time

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
I would assume that this would cause enough of a confusion instinctually that these Gynandomorphs wouldn't attempt to mate, probably wouldn't quite understand what to do

Perhaps this happens with cross mating.. Such as a highland and lowland subfusca mating.. Like you said very interesting

I will be asking these questions he should be looking into it any day now whens he's got a bit of free time
I hope he documents this thoroughly, since I can't see this being the only case of it. I believe if something can occur once, it will either be replicated or is already replicated just not known.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I hope he documents this thoroughly, since I can't see this being the only case of it. I believe if something can occur once, it will either be replicated or is already replicated just not known.
Agreed, this guy is very experienced in the T hobby, I have faith that he will do extensive research on it.. Of course don't know how long that will take..

Martin1975

Arachnoknight
Agreed, this guy is very experienced in the T hobby, I have faith that he will do extensive research on it.. Of course don't know how long that will take..
Nothing great happens quickly,but I believe it is a good thing when at least one person puts time into it. I believe as the hobby grows,more things will come to light and genera will be sorted out but again it will take time not in months but many years.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
The book "Tarantulas and Other Arachnids: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual", its a barron's book
considering a quick search turns up zero scientific papers on this phenomenon, i am going to say the author was mistaken and drew upon incorrectly sexed specimens.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
considering a quick search turns up zero scientific papers on this phenomenon, i am going to say the author was mistaken and drew upon incorrectly sexed specimens.
Perhaps your right.. Correction on what the book says, is that Male G. Roseas have been known to molt, losing their mating organs on the end of their pedipalpls.