Locust care?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a bunch of Locusta migratoria, and I'm not really sure what they eat :/
Does anyone know? All I could find scouring info on the internet was that they eat somekind of grass..does this mean they won't eat cucumber and lettuce and such more cricketish food?

Also, how cannibalistic are they? I haven't seen any really mauled hopper yet, but a suprising amount are missing one of their hind-legs..

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, after ignoring cucumber and tomatoes, I threw in some grass after reading they're supposed to like some sort of reed.

Here's a pretty bad pic of pretty bad(?) living quarters. Gonna throw out that paper tomorrow and replace it with twigs and stuff.

Attachments

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
they are locusts......they should be able to survive just about everything you chuck at em, just like roaches.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah I told them, and still they shun cucumber like fire.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have no first hand experience, but I have a book (Encyclopedea of Terrarium) that suggests that you're feeding them the right things...fresh grasses, wheat, rye, barley etc as well leafy greens. The author (Eugene Bruins) also mentions mixing wheat flower, oatmeal or bread with milk. Sounds wierd to me, but it might come in handy when green stuff is unavailable.

Wade

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ahh ok, thanks, I might try a mixture like that later on.
Hm, they poo like rabbits though, and can make a lot of space look real icky real fast.
That, and T's seem to have some problem with them...haha, you know that trick most seem to do when they put one of their feet on potential prey? Everything I've seen so far goes real still when they feel a setaeish foot upon them, but hoppers go Hop! :)

Seems to take the tarantulas a while to get this, so some just bite a little quicker, while my little Cobalt Redrump-lady bites one and then goes hiding, only to return when the hopper is stone dead.