1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LLLreptiles - be warned + Looking for better distributor

Discussion in 'Seller/Buyer/Shop Inquiries/Warnings' started by Rinfish, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Rinfish

Rinfish Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    First up, the rant:

I hate to write posts like this, but I recently had a very poor experience with LLLreptiles. They frequently stock amblipygi, and two weeks ago I threw down the money and spent close to $80 for one in the mail. I purchased it the day I got the email that they had been restocked.

Part of my reasoning was that I am teaching a natural science illustration college course and am always looking for great specimens to introduce to the class. Paid the $45 for overnight shipping (CA to MA) picked it up that morning from a UPS facility, brought it to my classroom with the enclosure for the unboxing and upon opening the box, discovered a 90% dead spider.

The deli cup it was in was secure with packing peanuts, but there was no ambient heating supply (the temp in my state was within their range for live arrival guarantee, but it was still WAY too cold), nor was the deli cup even nearly large enough for this specimen. When I say it looked shoved into this deli cup, I am not exaggerating. It was maybe 3x the size. It attempted to move its arms after I carefully removed it, but maybe died 20 minutes later (I put it in a warm ICU like environment, or attempted to).

Contacted the company and learned that all their recently stocked specimens were wild-caught and weren't even quarantined. This means that, the day they put them up for sale could have been the same day they received them, and then they shipped it out to me.

Furthermore, not being quarantined means they could have introduced any number of things into my home, I was livid.

They don't give you your money back for shipping, and the other money went to store credit, more B.S. The customer service rep initially wouldn't talk to me about my order over the phone, and said I needed to send an email telling them they should call me, and that "the person who checks the emails is away right now".

They eventually got back to me the next day and basically told me to go away, but if I wanted to trust them again then it's my responsibility to tell them I want a smaller specimen instead of an adult, because apparently this is my fault.

At the end of the day, they have my money and they don't care. Don't buy from these guys. I thought they were reputable because they had decent online reviews, and were the only people I knew who stocked these. I assumed they had a breeding group; I was wrong.

----

That being said, ARE there any reputable breeders selling amblypygi? :(

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2018
    • Sad Sad x 3
  2. billythekid

billythekid Arachnopeon

Ireland
    That's horrible man. I have some friends in USA who use two different websites that they say have had no problem with, which are Tomsbigspiders.com and Jamiestarantulas.com (Although the second one is pretty damn expensive)

Hope they can be of some help to you man, Have a nice day :)

• Like Like x 1