Lividum X Albo - Oh The Humanity!

happysmile88

Arachnoknight
Hello, I'd like to share something I've recently come across (pardon the pun) on facebook.
Original Photo

Somewhere in Thailand...

<edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's... odd. Wouldn't think they'd even get that close to one another. My brain hurts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Rhodin

Arachnosquire
New world terrestrial and old world Obligate burrower o_0 I know the babies would be infertile but could they even produce a sac?

poisoned

Arachnodemon
New world terrestrial and old world Obligate burrower o_0 I know the babies would be infertile but could they even produce a sac?
Probably not, but if they do, it may actually reveal something about T genetics.

madamoisele

Arachnosquire
O.O ........

Well - a sweet, docile tarantula crossed with one of those burrowing to the surface from the pit (my own personal joke about Haplos). This should be interesting.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I would really like to see if the slings (if any are produced) are terrestrial or burrow. Very interesting.

LuiziBee

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would like to see a curly haplo. Lolol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

poisoned

Arachnodemon
I would really like to see if the slings (if any are produced) are terrestrial or burrow. Very interesting.
Terrestrials are burrowing in nature. We just don't know yet, why they usually don't burrow in captivity.

rob0t

Arachnoknight
I can't read Thai but I assume it says 'I have no idea what I'm doing!'

Amoeba

Arachnolord
Since there have been shouts from both sides of the fence I'll take I different stance on thinking about this. While our hobby and the semi-science it sits in would absolutely crap itself under the strain of hybrids this "experiment", no matter how stupid, could bring about interesting results.

Suppose for a second that the albo wasn't massacred by the Haplo. And that the female did go on to produce a valid sac. Supposing that she had not been bred with anything previously (raised from 2i virgin). Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that develop a solid link between NW and OW tarantulas? Based on the assumption that hybrids can only occur between similar species.

Now I'm not encouraging people to go breeding their Theraphosa with their P.metallica (I'd likely throw myself in front of a bus if I had to listen to people prattle on how large it was with the most amazing color and pattern) but couldn't this silly picture yield some interesting results? Besides super cool designer tarantulas that will end up way more muddled and gross looking than either species individually.

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Plucked quickly off the Internet:

"Haplopelma - a genus of old-world tarantula found in Southeast Asia. The range of this genus includes Myanmar, southeastern China, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore, and Borneo.

Brachypelma albopilosum - new-world tarantula whose native range includes Central America, from Honduras to Costa Rica."

Those little tidbits alone should deter any thoughts / attempts at cross-breeding.

People are interested in the results... I understand this, yet cross-breeding should be amd is frowned upon by serious people in the tarantula hobby, for reasons discussed many times over. As mentioned before: the hobby is messed up enough already as it is.

For the record: This is my opinion, and is not intended to start arguments.

poisoned

Arachnodemon
If these two produce any offspring, it's highly unlikely that it will be fertile. And it's not like breeding two poecis, result of this breeding would probably look very different from any of the two parents.

Arachtion

Arachnobaron
Well after reading this perhaps I should pair my MM blondi up with my Haplopelma hainanum :/