Live Plants in Habitats?

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
I will be purchasing my first spider soon, an Avicularia versicolor, and I'm wondering if I would be able to grow some live plants in the habitat?

This is the cage that was recommended to me at the local reptile store:
http://estore.websitepros.com/1900741/Detail.bok?no=11

I guess he is going to some sort of large reptile type show over the weekend and will be picking up a baby for me while he's there, woohoo!

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I will be purchasing my first spider soon, an Avicularia versicolor, and I'm wondering if I would be able to grow some live plants in the habitat?

This is the cage that was recommended to me at the local reptile store:
http://estore.websitepros.com/1900741/Detail.bok?no=11

I guess he is going to some sort of large reptile type show over the weekend and will be picking up a baby for me while he's there, woohoo!
Pothos are suitable as live plants. There are tolerant of low light conditions. As for the caging, if you are going to spend $30 on an enclosure check this out:

http://tarantulacages.com/

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome :) I'm very excited about that, too cool!

There is a 'Lime' pothos which has a more yellow/green leaf. The golden pothos which has streaks of yellow. The 'marble queen' which has a white variegated leaf. The 'jade' pothos is the most common and has all green leaves.

When you put it in the enclosure you can plant it directly into the substrate, however this can be problematic. The amount of watering and use of fertilizers in the enclosure can create issues. One thing you can do to resolve this issue is to use a shallow planting pot that does not have a drain hole in the bottom. Place a layer of rocks in the bottom of the pot to provide drainage add a bit of soil...the plant and more soil filing the pot to about 1/4 inch below the pot edge. Keep the plant out of the enclosure for a couple days to allow for settling of soil. You will need to add more soil filling to the 1/4 inch mark again now finish the top with aquarium grade stone....small stones and you can choose whatever color you want. Cover the top with the stones...this will facilitate watering and keep the soil in its place. Once the plant is firmly planted you can place it in the enclosure. You can add the substrate for the enclosure and bring the substrate up to just below the edge of the pot. Add your T and now you have a vivarium. Having the shallow pot allows for the water to the plant to stay in the plant and if fertilizer is needed it wont get into the substrate.

Last edited:

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
Zoo Med Medium Naturalistic Terrarium (12x12x18)
Zilla Corner Basking Platform, Small
Zoo Med Repti Ramp Bowl, Small
Zilla Coconut Husk

This is what I went out and bought for him today, I'm going to go out and buy some more this weekend and pick up some pothos :)

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Zoo Med Medium Naturalistic Terrarium (12x12x18)
Zilla Corner Basking Platform, Small
Zoo Med Repti Ramp Bowl, Small
Zilla Coconut Husk

This is what I went out and bought for him today, I'm going to go out and buy some more this weekend and pick up some pothos :)
You are doing good by getting the things you need BEFORE getting the tarantula. I dont think I can count the times in the past that I have read things to the effect of : I got a tarantula, what should I put it in? Showing the foresight is showing you are a responsible pet owner.

Take the shallow pot advice...it will prevent problems.

Also...what size T are you getting?

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the reason I ask about the size of the T is because of the size of your enclosure and possible escape routes that an enclosure that size might have. Spiderlings can squeeze through holes that you not think possible....ask anyone on here that has had a 'sling escape.

EDIT:
I just looked at some pics online of what you have and dont see any immediate problems with the design in terms of escape. Just know that an enclosure that size will allow a smaller T to hide out very easy and not be as visible. In reality that is the way most T's prefer it.

Last edited:

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the reason I ask about the size of the T is because of the size of your enclosure and possible escape routes that an enclosure that size might have. Spiderlings can squeeze through holes that you not think possible....ask anyone on here that has had a 'sling escape.

EDIT:
I just looked at some pics online of what you have and dont see any immediate problems with the design in terms of escape. Just know that an enclosure that size will allow a smaller T to hide out very easy and not be as visible. In reality that is the way most T's prefer it.
you have to be kind of careful with those zoo-med and exoterra front opening enclosures...i have a 3" poecilotheria ornata in a 12x12x12 cube one and i've had to stuff napkins into the cracks around the snap on lid....when i first got her in there she ended up getting herself wedged into one of the cracks and i almost had to break the lid to get her out...also on the front door there's a small gap where the door meets and a smaller spider could possibly get a foot caught in there...

don't get me wrong i love those enclosures...but personally i'd save them for a larger adult specimen

Harvey

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
Not sure what size i'm getting, the guy who owns the reptile store is going to a reptile show in portland, or this weekend and is going to try and pick one up there. I will make sure and ask him to get one that is large enough not to escape! Thanks for all the advice you guys!

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use Pothos in all of my pokie houses and will be putting it in with all of our T. blondis as we rehouse them. Pothos is very tolerant of low light and has been growing in all of my T's cages very nicely. I have a large hanging pothos plant and when I need a plant for a T cage, I cut off a trailing vine from the main plant and plant it in a small plastic bowl with drainage holes. (I use the same dirt in the plant bowl as I use for substrate, baked organic potting soil, mixed with a bit of baked peat moss) Then I bury the plastic pot in the soil so that is is 1/2 to 1 inch above the substrate. Then when you water the T, water the plant. It works great particularly used with T's that require more humidity, as you water the plant, the drainage holes allow water into the substrate, which makes it more humid for the T.
The T's really seem to like it, several of them have incorporated leaves into their webbing, and it looks really nice.

tckrouge

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if I would be able to grow some live plants in the habitat?
I say no, because plants need sunlight while t's necessarily do not. In fact, I've raised slings to adults w/o ever exposing them to sunlight. Sounds cruel but I'm willing to bet most people on the boards don't keep their t's near sunlight.

You might be saying, "well, I'll get a UV light."

Yes, but why bother? It sounds like a lot of trouble for? If you are concerned about the t getting a lot of oxygen, make sure it has enough ventilation and play it around some peace lilies!

Good luck with whatever you choose! and congrats on the t!

Mrarachnid1st

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I say no, because plants need sunlight while t's necessarily do not. In fact, I've raised slings to adults w/o ever exposing them to sunlight. Sounds cruel but I'm willing to bet most people on the boards don't keep their t's near sunlight.

Yes, but why bother? It sounds like a lot of trouble for? If you are concerned about the t getting a lot of oxygen, make sure it has enough ventilation and play it around some peace lilies!

The pothos does need need alot of light. The poster does not want to keep it in sunlight..he wants to set up a nice display for the T. So the indirect sunlight the comes through the windows, and illuminates a room normally, will do no harm to the T. As a matter of fact it may help the T maintain its natural circadian rhythm. The indirect light will be more than ample for the pothos plant.

The poster is looking to create a nice looking display and wants to do so with a vivarium...no harm no foul. The T will not suffer and the owner will like the set up...win-win.

What the poster will find out, as everyone who is new to T keeping, it will not care if you can see it or not.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
um pothos can survive with house lighti9ng so wat r u talking about ...it doesnt need dat much light..just water...beside it can help u over the humidity dilema..

Sevenrats

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my B. smithi with live cactus. Surprising how little light they need. I had a succulent in there too but that died.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer

I am a horticulturist....pothos do not need light....I have my T's in aroom with no sunlight...my 125 gal tank has blue atinic moonlight bulbs....very low spectrum and my pothos doubled in size.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my B. smithi with live cactus. Surprising how little light they need. I had a succulent in there too but that died.
You should stay away from cacti with spines in T cages. I witnessed a case where a T (not mine) was mortally wounded by a cactus in its enclosure.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Like many people have said, you can find plants which require no sunlight and add humidity to tarantula's enclosure but have you ask yourself whether it's worth all the trouble?

Many indoor plants often suffer from mite problems (spider mites) because while indoor plants are able to survive without direct sunlight, the mite population explodes because there are no predators to keep the mite population down.

Just something to think about! Good luck! Post pics when you're done!

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all the advice! I will definitely take some pics once I get things setup, after all I'm sure I'll need more advice then ;) The guy at the reptile store wants me to buy him a light but I'm not quite sure about it yet. I've still got some more reading to do!