little water drop from the mouth

frankinthecity

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone else noticed the little water drop at the spiderling mouth? it is really hanging from the mouth, it is not touching the tank. Anyone can explain how and why they do that?

Francois

Rindy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen that with 2 of my Ts: a mature A.hentzi and a mature B. smithi -someone suggested it's unused venom- I don't know what it is but both Ts are doing fine

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ok so this actually freaked me out to the point of frantically calling everyone i knew. i finally talked to bugmomma who informed me its....as basic of a term....drool. its an excretion of fluids (obviously not saliva) that aide in cleaning. my H. mac started doing it one day while on my hand and i about shat myself thinking i had caused a rupture somewhere. she basically informed me that when they need to clean (or feel the need to do so) they produce this liquid, which they then in turn stick the legs and such in their mouths for cleansing purposes, but every now and then make a LOT of it which turns out to be water droplets (like drool). whether or not this is 100% correct in every definition of the word i dont know but what i do know is that later that day i witnessed first hand the T cleaning itself and all was right in the world. hope this helps.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok so this actually freaked me out to the point of frantically calling everyone i knew. i finally talked to bugmomma who informed me its....as basic of a term....drool. its an excretion of fluids (obviously not saliva) that aide in cleaning. my H. mac started doing it one day while on my hand and i about shat myself thinking i had caused a rupture somewhere. she basically informed me that when they need to clean (or feel the need to do so) they produce this liquid, which they then in turn stick the legs and such in their mouths for cleansing purposes, but every now and then make a LOT of it which turns out to be water droplets (like drool). whether or not this is 100% correct in every definition of the word i dont know but what i do know is that later that day i witnessed first hand the T cleaning itself and all was right in the world. hope this helps.
very useful info! I always thought it was just an overproduction of venom, as I've seem similar fluid come out when my T puts one of it's fangs right through a cricket :)

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
very useful info! I always thought it was just an overproduction of venom, as I've seem similar fluid come out when my T puts one of it's fangs right through a cricket :)
that would be the digestive enzymes they use to do their semi liquid diet. its a similar fluid from what i know becuz they use this "water drop" for cleaning and breaking down small bits of crud. but the difference with the fangs is that would be venom, they just pierced to far thru the cricket so u see a bit come out of the fang...or its part of the crix juice itself. the water drop we are seeing and im speaking of actually comes from the mouth part not the fangs.

BrynWilliams

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh right cool, must've missed that in the original description. I must be tired after all :rolleyes:

mafiamike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes! My adult female P. irminia did that. She always webs over or burries her water dish, so one day I went to mist the top of her web so she could drink the beads of water. Water started dripping on her and she positioned herself under the drips and caught the drips between her fangs! It was really cool, I kept checking back on her and could see that the water droplet was getting smaller as she drank it.

Nolimit2far

Arachnopeon
Mine has been doing it for couple of days now. He/she is currently fasting in premoult. No idea what it is though.
20161026_230552.jpg

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
If liquid is clear then simply fluid in the mouthparts from drinking recently or preparing to groom.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
Funny this old thread was brought up because this just happened yesterday with my juvenile P. muticus and i almost freaked out lol. Never seen any of my spiders do that before. What's weird though is mine did this after sitting in his water dish for like half an hour. (probably drinking)