Little inverts for .3 gallon terarrium.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Hello ArachnoBoards! This is my first post here! But to the topic, today I went to a dollar store and i found the cheap kritter keeper like cages and i was wondering what i could put in them. Maybe some slings or dwarf T's. Are there any other inverts you would put in it.
The dimensions are:
L: 6.5 inches
W: 3.75 - 4 inches
H: 3.5 inches
So what would you guys and girls do with them? And were they a good pick up for 1.25.

user 666

Arachnobaron
Okay, so it's an undersized Kritter Keeper. Nice!

There are dwarf Ts you can keep in that volume. You might also keep a juvenile T in there for a while.

What store did you find that in?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
Okay, so it's an undersized Kritter Keeper. Nice!

There are dwarf Ts you can keep in that volume. You might also keep a juvenile T in there for a while.

What store did you find that in?
I found it in a small town dollar store here in texas. And thats awesome! I would love to keep a dwarf T.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But to the topic, today I went to a dollar store and i found the cheap kritter keeper like cages and i was wondering what i could put in them. Maybe some slings or dwarf T's.
A dwarf tarantula or larger sling would be fine, but I would avoid small slings, as they might be able to squeeze through those ventilation slits.

All holes should be smaller than the carapace in diameter (for round holes) or width (for vertical slits) -- no matter how fat the abdomen looks. Tarantulas can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps.

Are there any other inverts you would put in it.
I only keep spiders, so I'll leave that advice to others.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
A dwarf tarantula or larger sling would be fine, but I would avoid small slings, as they might be able to squeeze through those ventilation slits.

All holes should be smaller than the carapace in diameter (for round holes) or width (for vertical slits) -- no matter how fat the abdomen looks. Tarantulas can squeeze through surprisingly small gaps.

I only keep spiders, so I'll leave that advice to others.
Do you have any dwarf species to recommend to a beginner?

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
Do you have any dwarf species to recommend to a beginner?
Euathlus sp. "red" and Phrixotrichus scofra (I believe. I have no personal experience but I've read they make decent beginner Ts. Anyone else have experience with P. scofra?), but for an adult dwarf a medium Kritter Keeper would probably be more comfortable so there is room for a hide, a water dish, and for them to wander around a little.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have a 3cm DLS N. incei in a similar enclosure, I taped over some of the vents to keep some moisture in but it's been fine.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I have a 3cm DLS N. incei in a similar enclosure, I taped over some of the vents to keep some moisture in but it's been fine.
You probably know, but since OP has zero experience it's probably best to point out taping things can be dangerous if done wrong. You don't want the adhesive side where the T can touch it, it's possible they could get stuck to it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You probably know, but since OP has zero experience it's probably best to point out taping things can be dangerous if done wrong. You don't want the adhesive side where the T can touch it, it's possible they could get stuck to it.
I, for some bizarre reason, assumed "common sense" would prevail. Odd given how much of a cynical prick I am :oldman::rofl:

OP... If you tape the vents then do it from the inside or you'll flypaper your T.

Can i see your enclosure? Im interested in what it looks like.
Here, it's the same dimensions but the lid is different and the vents look thinner on mine, should be fine for a grown-on sling or a juvenile dwarf species.

DSC00001.JPG DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00004.JPG

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I, for some bizarre reason, assumed "common sense" would prevail. Odd given how much of a cynical prick I am :oldman::rofl:

Aaahaha, I've just seen too many strange things and gotten too many strange questions from people to leave anything to chance anymore.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight

OP... If you tape the vents then do it from the inside or you'll flypaper your T.

Here, it's the same dimensions but the lid is different and the vents look thinner on mine, should be fine for a grown-on sling or a juvenile dwarf species.

View attachment 246833 View attachment 246834 View attachment 246835 View attachment 246836
It looks just like mine! I see what you mean with the tape being on the inside. What does the humidity level need to be like for them?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
It looks just like mine! I see what you mean with the tape being on the inside. What does the humidity level need to be like for them?
I don't stick to humidity percentages I just pipette water into the substrate every now and again to stop it from completely drying out (I'd just done it which is why it looks pretty wet), covering some of the vents just means it takes longer to dry out but you still need to leave enough ventilation to get good enough air circulation or you end up with mould etc.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I don't stick to humidity percentages I just pipette water into the substrate every now and again to stop it from completely drying out (I'd just done it which is why it looks pretty wet), covering some of the vents just means it takes longer to dry out but you still need to leave enough ventilation to get good enough air circulation or you end up with mould etc.
Thats cool. So i just keep it damp and its okay?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
How large is your T? I want to get an appropriate sized T for this enclosure.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thats cool. So i just keep it damp and its okay?
For an N. incei, yeah, give them slightly damp substrate, a hide, a water dish and lots of anchor points for webbing, they burrow a little and then web the bejesus out everything near the entrance.

How large is your T? I want to get an appropriate sized T for this enclosure.
My specimen is about 3cm DLS so a little over an inch, I think that makes it a juvenile as they max out at around 3 inches or so.