Lighting

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
First I'd like to say it's nice to be back among my fellow lovers of all that are "creepy and weird"; since it's been a couple months. I've recently (2.5 months so not all that recently) moved and now have a fairly large room with what I'd say is a good amount of space for at least one T (just have to convince my mom now :lol:(it should be easier since I have my own job)). Anyways... I was wondering about lighting, so my room has two big windows and blinds but the blinds do not do very much at all. How much would that effect a T if it helps the spider I want to get first is an Arizona/desert blond (Aphonopelma chalcodes). I know this will probably spark some sort of controversy but I just wanted opinions from people who have experience (any with their own A chalcodes would be even better).

cold blood

Staff member
Light isnt a problem, you just want to avoid putting enclosures in direct sunlight.....but the blinds, while not a dark seal, is plenty enough. I keep my shade drawn all the time, but one edge doesnt go all the way to the end of the window, so there is light coming in around it, But it does keep the room at basically twilight during the day......but if your room gets more light, its not detrimental as long as the enclosures arent right in the window......more light will just mean your ts will likely hide more during the day.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Alright thanks, yeah I have areas that are hit by light but not directly or so strong that it would cause problems ( I believe). Also if you don't mind me asking why is it we want to keep Ts out of direct light, I had heard it before so I wanted to double check but I had never heard why it's not good.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
First I'd like to say it's nice to be back among my fellow lovers of all that are "creepy and weird"; since it's been a couple months. I've recently (2.5 months so not all that recently) moved and now have a fairly large room with what I'd say is a good amount of space for at least one T (just have to convince my mom now :lol:(it should be easier since I have my own job)). Anyways... I was wondering about lighting, so my room has two big windows and blinds but the blinds do not do very much at all. How much would that effect a T if it helps the spider I want to get first is an Arizona/desert blond (Aphonopelma chalcodes). I know this will probably spark some sort of controversy but I just wanted opinions from people who have experience (any with their own A chalcodes would be even better).
Lighting is not the major issue, if the enclosure is too close to direct sunlight the sun will overheat the enclosure.
All living things need normal day light/ night time to enable them to adjust correctly to natural changes.

MrPole

Arachnopeon
Also if you don't mind me asking why is it we want to keep Ts out of direct light, I had heard it before so I wanted to double check but I had never heard why it's not good.
I think it's pretty much anything. The light coming through the window and into the enclosure can cause them to superheat.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Ok, so it's a body temp thing, I was thinking it may be bad for their eyesight or something but that makes more sense. Definitely would be a weird conversation as you attempt to explain to someone your pet spider needs it's own ac system.

gabrieldezzi

Arachnosquire
Light isn't a big deal for T's. As long as there isn't direct sunlight and you don't fall into the "heating lamp trap." Welcome to the hobby though!!

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Alright that’s good to know, thanks.
Light isn't a big deal for T's. As long as there isn't direct sunlight and you don't fall into the "heating lamp trap." Welcome to the hobby though!!
Yeah, no I did know about the heating lamp thing, just making sure I have all my eggs in a basket before I count my chickens.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What are you asking?

Whatever is going on there direct, sunlight that heats up a setup- BAD

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
What are you asking?
So the way my room is constructed is it has a window on 2 walls. Both windows are fairly large but also have blinds but the blinds do not block out much light. My room is roughly 20x25ish feet, so with my dresser, desk, bed, and book case there are only so many places I can put a terrarium and it not look “out of place” like so it’s not just sticking out into the main section of the room. But anyway the main thing I wanted to check since I’ve seen a lot of people keep there Ts in pretty dark places like basements, I just wanted to make sure that sunlight wouldn’t hurt the animal in anyway (I’m not too concerned with heating/cooling since the upstairs (where my room is) has its own thermostat).

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Ambient room lighting is fine as long as it is not in direct sunlight in front of any windows or in a drafty area.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So the way my room is constructed is it has a window on 2 walls. Both windows are fairly large but also have blinds but the blinds do not block out much light. My room is roughly 20x25ish feet, so with my dresser, desk, bed, and book case there are only so many places I can put a terrarium and it not look “out of place” like so it’s not just sticking out into the main section of the room. But anyway the main thing I wanted to check since I’ve seen a lot of people keep there Ts in pretty dark places like basements, I just wanted to make sure that sunlight wouldn’t hurt the animal in anyway (I’m not too concerned with heating/cooling since the upstairs (where my room is) has its own thermostat).
Sunlight doesn't hurt Ts hah, but direct sunlight has the potential to cook them in captivity.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yes even though sun isn’t that bright here during summer, or enough to heat up a tank,. Nocturnal animals do not like light. So I never leave a cage in front of an open window. Mine are in the basement that only has a tiny window.

Tarantulasareanimalstoo

Arachnosquire
Yeah no basement in my house so I’ll just have to add lots of hides and make sure my blinds are always down potentially get some curtains as well