Lighting that won't offend ??

Nrix

Arachnopeon
Hi - am brand new to T's, just got a Rose and a Baboon (no other info given) 3 days ago. I'm also new to forums, so read rules and rooted around the site yesterday, trying to find an answer to this without posting, however either my skills are poor or whatever .... I'm wondering about some kind of lighting for my tanks that won't disturb normal nocturnal activity. Some where I read a red light was good ... wondering about black lights - the room I have my T's in is not well lit and I would like to see them moving around. Thanks in advance for any info -

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards....

A black light is a no no... when it comes to viewing your T's at night .
they use this to view scorpions at night because their exo's glow with the black light...
A red light or bulb should do the work... this has been done for ages,when wanting to view your 8 legged pets at night...

Peace,

Last edited:

Nrix

Arachnopeon
Thanks much - I have the unusual chance to go to town (with a few $$'s in pocket for a change :) and hoped I'd get a reply - you made my day ! I'm sure viewing at night had been totally covered - I will work on search skills and perhaps next appear as a knowledgeable participant - or not (knowledgeable ;0. The T's thank you - N

phily1579

Arachnopeon
Thanks much - I have the unusual chance to go to town (with a few $$'s in pocket for a change :) and hoped I'd get a reply - you made my day ! I'm sure viewing at night had been totally covered - I will work on search skills and perhaps next appear as a knowledgeable participant - or not (knowledgeable ;0. The T's thank you - N
People STOP with the lights. Its a tarantula not an iguana. No lights Period. Lights just stress and annoy tarantulas. The best thing for ur t is pitch black room. During the day let the sun in the room not directly on ur tarantulas. That way ur t will reconize days and nights people.

Nrix

Arachnopeon
People STOP with the lights. Its a tarantula not an iguana. No lights Period. Lights just stress and annoy tarantulas. The best thing for ur t is pitch black room. During the day let the sun in the room not directly on ur tarantulas. That way ur t will reconize days and nights people.
I've been a dog trainer for many decades ... somewhere in the 3rd decade I realized people were gonna do what they were gonna do with their dogs even when I told them it was the WORST THING they could do !! My T's have a great daytime light situation and I figured out the first night that spotlighting them with the flashlight was not a kind thing. I'm personally and professionally in tune with daylight / dark hours - all the animals in my care run on this system. By learning the least offensive light option, I'll be able to satisfy my uncontrollable urge to watch them when they are doing the things I got spiders to watch. I'm not planning on breeding or changing the world of T's in any way ... just think they are real cool and totally appreciate info from ALL who know more than I. With the above warning in mind, I will be as respectful as possible to their world, thanks!

malhomme

Arachnopeon
I've been a dog trainer for many decades ... somewhere in the 3rd decade I realized people were gonna do what they were gonna do with their dogs even when I told them it was the WORST THING they could do !! My T's have a great daytime light situation and I figured out the first night that spotlighting them with the flashlight was not a kind thing. I'm personally and professionally in tune with daylight / dark hours - all the animals in my care run on this system. By learning the least offensive light option, I'll be able to satisfy my uncontrollable urge to watch them when they are doing the things I got spiders to watch. I'm not planning on breeding or changing the world of T's in any way ... just think they are real cool and totally appreciate info from ALL who know more than I. With the above warning in mind, I will be as respectful as possible to their world, thanks!
Nrix, there are a lot of douche bags on this forum and fools that spew inexpert advice. Then there are those people that only read the parts of a post they find most abhorrent, so they can lash out at some kind person such as yourself. There's also a lot of good information here, and even good people. It's like eating fish-- you have to keep the good stuff and spit out the bones.

Welcome!

Tu Nyce

Arachnopeon
Hey if you want to use a certain color light to observe your Ts at night, just use a red lens flashlight. I do it all the time at night and it never disturbs the Ts!

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
If you go to your local Walmart, they often have red colored "party bulbs" that work nicely.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I am willing to bet there are plenty of redlight lightbulbs even at you local petstore, also as previously mentioned there are red bulbs at walmart, not all the time but there are. Ts are litteraly almost blind to the red spectrum and see is as a very dark shade of gray, so IT WILL NOT BOTHER THEM

Nrix

Arachnopeon
If you go to your local Walmart, they often have red colored "party bulbs" that work nicely.
Thanks very much everybody that has posted .... I found not only the party lights but a clip on lamp at WallyWorld, all for the same $10 that the pet store wanted for one bulb - I order a lot of dog supplies from wholesalers and KNOW what kind of rip the chain pet stores are ... thank God for the internet businesses that are now available !!!

I fed my rosea a fresh caught cricket last night and got to watch a T feed for the first time - what a TRIP ... I'm starting to understand why I wanted to have one of these. She (I think) laid a big tablecloth of web during the feeding process .... I assume this is what they do ? I'm off to read and read ... thanks again - N

Amoeba

Arachnolord
A word of advice light makes heat no matter what color is being emitted so if you get a bulb try and leave some distance between T and bulb.

I use a 25W red bulb from home depot I got for $5

I don't know about iguanas but Tarantulas can't see the red light spectrum they also can't see blue.

So my 2¢ take it or leave it.

RobS

Arachnopeon
I don't know about iguanas but Tarantulas can't see the red light spectrum they also can't see blue.
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. Tarantulas' optical sensitivity peaks in the blue-green portion of the spectrum, and the peak region does include both green and blue light. Proceeding to shorter wavelengths, sensitivity does appear to drop noticeably, approaching the ultraviolet. Red light, especially the monochromatic deep red at 650nm emitted by red LED lighting is the right choice for viewing your T's at night without disturbing them.

Here's an interesting link to what might be the only scientific study of optical sensitivity dealing specifically with Theraphosids:

http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v17_n2/JoA_v17_p195.pdf

Last edited:

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well that's a bit extreme. There is nothing wrong with using a light to observe your tarantula, or even using lights over your tarantulas tank for plant growth or cycling. While you are right, in that is isn't necessary, it's also not the travesty you seem to think it is.

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
I'm going to respectfully disagree with this statement. Tarantulas' optical sensitivity peaks in the blue-green portion of the spectrum, and the peak region does include both green and blue light. Proceeding to shorter wavelengths, sensitivity does appear to drop noticeably, approaching the ultraviolet. Red light, especially the monochromatic deep red at 650nm emitted by red LED lighting is the right choice for viewing your T's at night without disturbing them.

Here's an interesting link to what might be the only scientific study of optical sensitivity dealing specifically with Theraphosids:

That's very informative! Thank you.

Nrix

Arachnopeon

I was wondering who had studied the light sensitivities of tarantulas ... guess in my naive little mind, info discussed was fanciers trial and error - ha, what a joke on me !! I'm just totally thankful there are people out there who 1) studied such things and 2) could refine this info for non-science humans to understand - wonderful info and THANKS !!

After 5 days of T ownership I am coming to believe that my G. rosea is a very calm and adaptive spider that has either been around a long time (it came from a busy mom of several kids, dogs and cats) or is just easy-going by nature. 'Haven't seen any displays of agitation or aggression of any sort, a bit of exploration when put in the new tank, but overall seems calm and happy. Needless to say I'm pleased with this and my experience with this forum - happy day to all - N

Amoeba

Arachnolord

:wall: I might need to control my posting until I'm in the swing of college again. thank you for that article saved for future reference

KKo

Arachnopeon
As already mentioned red light is not visible to tarantulas. According to this website (let me translate)
they only recognize light with a wavelength of 350 - 640 nm. Since red light has a wavelength of
650 to 750 nm it is out of their range.