Lighting Query...

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Apologies if this has already been discussed; [please direct and I'll remove...

I'm in the process of building permanent adult housing shelving for my t's and would like to install some sort of observation lighting. Not necessarily a daily thing but just for observation purposes, when I want to flip it on for peeking. I know most t's cherish darkness and don't have a need for regular sustained hourly lighting like other critters.

Was thinking of hanging low light LED holiday type lights but wanted to see what others' suggestions were. Red lighting vs white? etc?

Thanks!

Blueberrypop

Arachnopeon
From what I've seen, not experienced, tarantulas don't seem to mind white light if its not on all the time.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Was thinking of hanging low light LED holiday type lights but wanted to see what others' suggestions were. Red lighting vs white? etc?
Spiders can't see red light, so that would be less likely to startle them into their hides or burrows. That being said, only one of my seven tarantulas seems to be spooked by white light.

Just don't use a heat lamp or UV light.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Apologies if this has already been discussed; [please direct and I'll remove...

I'm in the process of building permanent adult housing shelving for my t's and would like to install some sort of observation lighting. Not necessarily a daily thing but just for observation purposes, when I want to flip it on for peeking. I know most t's cherish darkness and don't have a need for regular sustained hourly lighting like other critters.

Thanks!
Here's the deal, Ts can't see the red spectrum, and humans can barely see into the spectrum too. So typical red lighting at night isn't going to help all that much.

Your best lighting is "moon" lighting, ie blue spectrum. Take a look at the "moon" lights used for reptiles, the blue they cast simulates moon light at night. That works fine for them, and far superior for human eyes.

Some Ts don't mind very dim white light either, quite subjective among specimens, and some species have zero tolerance for white light.

spiderbesideher

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone! Will take the blue lighting into consideration. Most of mine really don't seem to do much when the lights are flipped on so I think they should react OK. I'll let you know what the outcome is!

efmp1987

Arachnoknight
I always thought lighting is okay - assuming you follow the daylight cycle. They are after all, only nocturnal, as opposed to troglobiotic.