Better genus

• Grammostola

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Brachypelma

Votes: 30 56.6%

• Total voters

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Nothing will be settled as this is an opinion and so there isn't a right answer.

The big question is why are we talking about these when we could be talking about more interesting species. :D

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Both genera have some sweet spiders, would be easier to compare two species from one genus. They all have their own appeal, its very hard to make a choice, although I would have to lean towards grammostola just for the pulchra,pulchripes,iheringi and actaeon. I like my Ts big...

The brachypelma genus has the hamorii (smithi), Emilia,albiceps,boeihmei there's so many gorgeous species to compare, I love both genera equally with a slight edge to grammostola just for their size.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
As much as I love my G. iheringi (mainly because it's nothing like other Grammos lol), Brachypelma is the better genus, so many awesome red and black spoders.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
Thrixopelma or Psalmopoeus

between grammastola and brachy? ummm.... brachy make me itch like crazy but, number 1 for wish list is a CITES B.vagans... so yeah....grammastola

GreyPsyche

Arachnosquire
I can't decide because I don't own any brachy although I definetely want one or two, I have a Grammy but won't make a decision based on that so I say GBB!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The tie breaker - Grammostola all the way. I love my Brachypelma ( I have six species), especially my albopilosum, but I love my Grammostola more ( I have six species as well). Not only is G.pulchra my favourite species of all time, but my glorious G.actaeon tipped the scales for the entire genus to become my favourite. The range of completely different looks, appetites, growth rates, and that many never dull down between moults, make this the perfect genus to collect as many as you can. Despite the higher pricetag on many of the species in this genus, they are worth every penny.
Sorry, but many of the Brachypelma look so similar and their hairs kill me. I do adore both, but the Grammy's win out in my books.
My freshly moulted Grammostola pulchra, Raven.
DSC09312-2.jpg

My glorious Grammostola actaeon, Salem. This girl is a beast when it comes to food and has gone from about 3/4" in February to almost 3" today. She is going to be so stunning as an adult.
DSC01364-2.jpg

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
The tie breaker - Grammostola all the way. I love my Brachypelma ( I have six species), especially my albopilosum, but I love my Grammostola more ( I have six species as well). Not only is G.pulchra my favourite species of all time, but my glorious G.actaeon tipped the scales for the entire genus to become my favourite. The range of completely different looks, appetites, growth rates, and that many never dull down between moults, make this the perfect genus to collect as many as you can. Despite the higher pricetag on many of the species in this genus, they are worth every penny.
Sorry, but many of the Brachypelma look so similar and their hairs kill me. I do adore both, but the Grammy's win out in my books.
My freshly moulted Grammostola pulchra, Raven.
View attachment 246585

My glorious Grammostola actaeon, Salem. This girl is a beast when it comes to food and has gone from about 3/4" in February to almost 3" today. She is going to be so stunning as an adult.
View attachment 246587
Holy cow, and here I was thinking the pulchripes was the fastest growing Grammostola

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Holy cow, and here I was thinking the pulchripes was the fastest growing Grammostola
Nope, I would place pulchripes in the middle for growth rate - definitely not slow, but not the fastest either. Mine grew nicely compared to the pulchra.
My G.grossa, G.iheringi, and G.actaeon are growing out of their enclosures in two moults. They are moulting at about four to six weeks, but, unlike porteri, pulchripes and pulchra, they are increasing very significantly with each moult. I don't know if they will continue like this, or if they slow down at a certain point like both my pulchra have. They aren't slowing down yet, that's for sure. All three species are growing faster than any of my Avicularia have, even. That's fast in my books.
I was 100% convinced that my G.actaeon was male because of the huge increases in size each moult... but she is a female. For a female to grow like she has is atypical of what people expect with this genus. They are incredible eaters with huge increases in size each moult. There is even a visible difference in carapace size each moult.
I don't know why they aren't more popular - my guess is because of the price. The dealers that I bought them from had them for a while before I bought them. I got a really great deal on the two G.grossa and the G.iheringi, because I volunteer at the expos for the dealer I bought them from, but I would have gladly paid full price... they are worth every penny.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Nope, I would place pulchripes in the middle for growth rate - definitely not slow, but not the fastest either. Mine grew nicely compared to the pulchra.
My G.grossa, G.iheringi, and G.actaeon are growing out of their enclosures in two moults. They are moulting at about four to six weeks, but, unlike porteri, pulchripes and pulchra, they are increasing very significantly with each moult. I don't know if they will continue like this, or if they slow down at a certain point like both my pulchra have. They aren't slowing down yet, that's for sure. All three species are growing faster than any of my Avicularia have, even. That's fast in my books.
I was 100% convinced that my G.actaeon was male because of the huge increases in size each moult... but she is a female. For a female to grow like she has is atypical of what people expect with this genus. They are incredible eaters with huge increases in size each moult. There is even a visible difference in carapace size each moult.
I don't know why they aren't more popular - my guess is because of the price. The dealers that I bought them from had them for a while before I bought them. I got a really great deal on the two G.grossa and the G.iheringi, because I volunteer at the expos for the dealer I bought them from, but I would have gladly paid full price... they are worth every penny.
Aside from the insane growth of my Poecilotheria fasciata, from 1.5in to about 6in DLS in 6 months. My G. pulchripes have grown faster than my other 3 species. By far my A. geroldi is the slowest, followed by P. sazimai and then GBB. I don't have any Brachypelma yet though.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Sorry, been a bit since I paid attention to this topic. Got caught up in the growth rate part. As far as the Pokie, I have no clue how "she" has grown so much so fast. Maybe I'm just awful at size guessing, maybe I have a genetic freak :confused:

Kendricks

Arachnoknight
This is a poor question IMO. Better for what??? Define better, I can provide you a species from the Grammo that is a far faster grower and eater than any Brachy, is that better, NOPE, it's just different.... And in the end, it's often subjective.
Now where's my "no fun!" sign when I need it? :troll:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
She is going to be so stunning as an adult.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. G. act.'s, are not stunning as adults at all. G. iheringi are. I say this because I bought a G. iheringi only to learn in a molt a few years later after raising it as a sling that it was G. act. NOT happy at all.

The cherry red goes away, and turns into a very matte rust color, that in my case is barely noticeable even with bright light. The jet shiny black remains, but I didn't buy this sling for jet shiny black alone.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
I'm afraid I can't decide between the two , they are both lovely in their own way , be it my pet rock , crazy Pink lady , bulldozer, spider dustbin , or let's just not eat for months on end and worry my owner if she's a Newbie