Let the Glow begin

Prophet

Arachnosquire
I noticed last night that a few of the baby scorpions began to glow for the 1st time. I still find it very interesting that we are not 100% sure of the reasoning behind the glow. Needless to say these are a very fascinating species. I'm wondering also though if this could be an indication of which was actually born first. They have all undergone their first molt already. Seems logical to think the ones glowing are developing first b/c they were born first (not that I guess it actually really matters). Being that scientists have noticed the glow doesn't come until the new cuticle hardens from molting maybe even though one was born first, another could develop faster. Anyway, just thought I'd share a picture of some glowing babies and some that aren't for anyone interested.

Top picture is under blacklight showing a few glowing/Bottom is same picture with lights on
DSC_0209.jpg
DSC_0235.jpg

KrystalG

Arachnosquire
That's awesome!

Scientists are actually working toward isolating exactly what makes them glow. I've read articles about using scorpions and other naturally glowing animals to pinpoint cancer cells in people. Like, a sort of dye would be injected or injested, and doctors could be able to see exactly where the cancer is and if they've missed any. Its awesome.

Prophet

Arachnosquire
That's awesome!

Scientists are actually working toward isolating exactly what makes them glow. I've read articles about using scorpions and other naturally glowing animals to pinpoint cancer cells in people. Like, a sort of dye would be injected or injested, and doctors could be able to see exactly where the cancer is and if they've missed any. Its awesome.
Thats pretty interesting. There are probably tons of benefits to be had if we could just understand them a little better. Imagine what we will learn in just a few years from now we don't know now..

Prophet

Arachnosquire
Pretty neat & a great idea. Not your average décor.
Much appreciated and yeah it all came together quite nicely I thought too. I have tons of different kinds of rock or have access to lots of different types. I use a lot of them for water bowls. Adds a certain naturalistic type look. Much better using something I've collected over the years for free versus paying an arm and a leg for enclosure decor thats for sure..
DSC_0256.jpg