LEOPARD GECKO QUESTION

Wildlife98

Arachnopeon
So I've read a lot about their eyes being really sensitive to light. Would taking a picture with flash be harmful?

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I wouldn't use the flash in close proximity. I have used a flash on my adult and have noticed no ill-effects, but I do it from a distance and use the camera's zoom. Also, if your gecko is an albino, I'd exercise a bit of extra caution. I've been led to believe that their eyes are even more sensitive.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I agree with @darkness975 plus I can confirm that my albino male exhibits more light sensitivity than my non albino female.
I don't have a source, sadly, but I recently saw an article stating that geckos can have up to 350x more sensitivity to lights and colors than we humans. Between that and firsthand experience I would limit flash to a minimum, especially up close to the Leo.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Nope, I'm a dope and confused you with @Tim Benzedrine :banghead: I'm going to blame my recent fever and that you both have green text. Sorry for the mix up.
Haha no worries. Glad to know I have fans lol

I wouldn't use a flash that close. Im even hesitant to use a flash with my invertebrates .

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Haha no worries. Glad to know I have fans lol

I wouldn't use a flash that close. Im even hesitant to use a flash with my invertebrates .
Maybe I was just reading your mind :wideyed: Lol... I definitely agree with you both as stated in my first post. Not worth the risk I think.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My reasoning has been that at the distance I keep at (I have a pretty long zoom capability) the light becomes pretty diffused. I don't really think I'd advocate overuse of a flash of course. And with the new, special needs one, I've kept photography to a bare minimum, only taking two shots of the gecko and will only take periodic photos to document progress. The first shot I took upon bringing it home, the other one was this one to show how little incapacitated he actually is...

m_IMG_6562Gecko.jpg

You can't read it in this resized photo, but I inserted text saying "Handicapped my ass!"