Leopard Gecko Care

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
I'm thinking of getting a leopard gecko and watched some beginning care videos on YouTube, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any additional material they can provide?

I know at least with keeping tarantulas and other inverts, that online care sheets and specific care videos on YT provide incorrect information. I'm wondering if there are specific husbandry videos that should be avoided with leopard geckos and if so, which ones?

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Might get some bad comments from this but I never put mine on carpet. I just left her with sand which I realize now that they’re not really a desert species.
All I did was a 50-75 watt heat lamp and a undertank heater. Make sure it’s got more than one spot to hide(different areas of the tank) and make sure it’s got a moist hide to help when it sheds.
I’ve had my girl for about 13years so I think I might have done something right.

Also they go through times where they hate certain foods. Mine was off crickets for about 2 years.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Paper towels as substrate instead of carpet. Sand can cause impaction, especially in younger geckos. If you want, certain tile can be used as substrate as well. That's what my 2 have. Variety of feeders helps, dubia roaches, crickets and occasionally horn/meal/silk/super/wax worms are the usual choices.
Ceramic heat emitter and an under tank heater with a thermostat are the standard heating. Tank size opinions vary greatly but at an absolute minimum I'd suggest a 10 gallon. Multiple hides (cool side, humid in the middle, and hot side) are best. Always give access to fresh water.
Oh and never keep Leopard geckos communally. They should only be paired if you want to breed.
That's all I know. Got all that from a gecko centered forum. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy having one as much as I do with mine :D

Stella Maris

Arachnoknight
Might get some bad comments from this but I never put mine on carpet. I just left her with sand which I realize now that they’re not really a desert species.
All I did was a 50-75 watt heat lamp and a undertank heater. Make sure it’s got more than one spot to hide(different areas of the tank) and make sure it’s got a moist hide to help when it sheds.
I’ve had my girl for about 13years so I think I might have done something right.

Also they go through times where they hate certain foods. Mine was off crickets for about 2 years.
How often do babies/juveniles need to be fed? Everyday or 3-4 days a week? I've been feeding my 3 1/2 inch leopard gecko about 4-5 small crickets a day and maybe a baby superworm once in a while?

Mini8leggedfreak

Arachnoknight
Honestly it was so long ago that I don’t even remember.
Make sure it’s tail has some thickness to it but if it’s looking too fat then lay off for a little bit

Dragondrool

Arachnosquire
I'm thinking of getting a leopard gecko and watched some beginning care videos on YouTube, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any additional material they can provide?

I know at least with keeping tarantulas and other inverts, that online care sheets and specific care videos on YT provide incorrect information. I'm wondering if there are specific husbandry videos that should be avoided with leopard geckos and if so, which ones?
Well you're in luck because leopard geckos are easy to care for and are great pets :) I have a leopard gecko that I received from my sister. I have a carpet for him but I don't use it. I tried it out for a little while because it's easier for some people. It's not for me, and Leo likes to dig anyways so I use Eco earth now. It's safe and fantastic in my opinion. Safe to digest if he were to miss his food (which he does, he's a little slow ;) ). He's got two hides, one on the hot side and other on the cold. This isn't necessary, but you do need to have a hot spot. I use a heat pad which is essential for leos, and really most reptiles, because they get their heat from the ground which helps them digest their food. I also use a lamp to help get it to the temps I want since my room is colder. Try to aim for temps around 85-95. 70 is too cold and 100+ is too hot. I put in a branch and other fake plants to give it an arid but stylish look. This is not necessary, but it looks better and it makes him feel more safe to have little hidey areas. I feed him meal worms from my tongs. I hate using crickets because they die so easily and quickly and are too fast for him to catch. Leos are not very fast, they're like the couch potato version of crested geckos (at leats mine is). Some people just put meal worms in a dish or let them in the tank. Tongs has always been easiest for me and Leo, he has a hard time locating his food. Leopard geckos will sometimes stop eating for a week or more. Don't panic. They do this, mine does it a lot, but still make sure temps are good because they'll stop eating if they're too cold. Just keep offering food until they take it again. That's really all there is to it. They don't live in deserts like people think. Well, not in the sand at least, but even so, DO NOT use sand. If he swallows it he will get impacted and die. Don't use sand for any reptile unless it's for sure able to handle it. Even so, I don't like sand. Don't mist the cage, but you can mist his hide a little bit if he's going into a shed. He'll turn grey or a dull color. You can avoid spending a lot of money on reptile things by making your own stuff. I took an old mealworm package and cut a little arch to make a hide. I have a fish net that I use to scoop his poop. The plants I got from Michele's on sale for really cheap. Hope this helps :)