1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Leopard Gecko Care

Discussion in 'Not So Spineless Wonders' started by Stella Maris, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Stella Maris

Stella Maris Arachnoknight

USA
    Advertisement
    I'm thinking of getting a leopard gecko and watched some beginning care videos on YouTube, but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any additional material they can provide?

I know at least with keeping tarantulas and other inverts, that online care sheets and specific care videos on YT provide incorrect information. I'm wondering if there are specific husbandry videos that should be avoided with leopard geckos and if so, which ones?

2. Might get some bad comments from this but I never put mine on carpet. I just left her with sand which I realize now that they’re not really a desert species.
    All I did was a 50-75 watt heat lamp and a undertank heater. Make sure it’s got more than one spot to hide(different areas of the tank) and make sure it’s got a moist hide to help when it sheds.
    I’ve had my girl for about 13years so I think I might have done something right.

Also they go through times where they hate certain foods. Mine was off crickets for about 2 years.

3. CWilson1351

CWilson1351 Arachnobaron Active Member

Paper towels as substrate instead of carpet. Sand can cause impaction, especially in younger geckos. If you want, certain tile can be used as substrate as well. That's what my 2 have. Variety of feeders helps, dubia roaches, crickets and occasionally horn/meal/silk/super/wax worms are the usual choices.
    Ceramic heat emitter and an under tank heater with a thermostat are the standard heating. Tank size opinions vary greatly but at an absolute minimum I'd suggest a 10 gallon. Multiple hides (cool side, humid in the middle, and hot side) are best. Always give access to fresh water.
    Oh and never keep Leopard geckos communally. They should only be paired if you want to breed.
    That's all I know. Got all that from a gecko centered forum. Best of luck, I hope you enjoy having one as much as I do with mine :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Stella Maris

Stella Maris Arachnoknight

USA
    How often do babies/juveniles need to be fed? Everyday or 3-4 days a week? I've been feeding my 3 1/2 inch leopard gecko about 4-5 small crickets a day and maybe a baby superworm once in a while?

5. Honestly it was so long ago that I don’t even remember.
    Make sure it’s tail has some thickness to it but if it’s looking too fat then lay off for a little bit