Leech dying?

Theleech

Arachnopeon
So we need a bit of help from people who are more experienced in this area. So my girlfrend is a big animal/insect enthusiasts and she got a pet leech over a year ago. Sadly, its seems hes sick and dying. Hes moving slowly, not latching on even thow its time to feed him and hes pukeing up blood. My girlfrend said when he was shedding some skin tighend around him and hes now slightly deformed. Any tips, advice, anything?

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Don't know too much about leeches, but it honestly may just be old. How big is it?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
So we need a bit of help from people who are more experienced in this area. So my girlfrend is a big animal/insect enthusiasts and she got a pet leech over a year ago. Sadly, its seems hes sick and dying. Hes moving slowly, not latching on even thow its time to feed him and hes pukeing up blood. My girlfrend said when he was shedding some skin tighend around him and hes now slightly deformed. Any tips, advice, anything?
Apparently the life span depends on habitat and water temperature but is generally around 2- 3 years.4 years is rare.

Ajohnson5263

Arachnosquire
sounds like it's just getting old. the best advice would be to make sure the water is clean (ex. low nitrates, etc.).

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
I've no idea about the husbandry of leeches so I can't help with your question, but I have to ask...

Does your GF feed it her own blood? Not to judge or anything, just curious...

I've no idea about the husbandry of leeches so I can't help with your question, but I have to ask...

Does your GF feed it her own blood? Not to judge or anything, just curious...
The few people I know who have kept leeches (usually the large tropicals) were fed from house pets or livestock. Luckily they don't need to feed very often...

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Assuming the leech is a medicinal leech, i've seen references to them living at least 10 years.

Is it possible that the leech was poisoned? Like, a bad water change or a new medication in her blood?