1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED lighting

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by TRection, May 17, 2017.

1. TRection

TRection Arachnosquire Active Member

Advertisement
    I want to make a little display light for my tank using LED strip lights (the ones you buy at the computer store that come with a remote that can change the color and the brightness) I use them for my shelf on my wall unit as well as in my computer itself, would these be ok to use for the T's tank? They would be above the outside of the tank of course, not in it.

2. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    You should be good. I doubt LED lights will affect the Ts anymore than any other light.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. sasker

sasker Arachnosquire Active Member

I am considering the same for my tarantulas to provide some extra light during the day. I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work. Can you switch these lights to red as well? I understood that Ts don't see red light, so you could spy on them at night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. TRection

Thats cool i didnt know about them not seeing red light , and yes you can change them to any color you want as well as make them super bright or barely any light at all, and they are only like 14 bucks for a pack of 2. :)

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=108&item_id=074072

• Like Like x 2
  5. TRection

• Like Like x 1
  6. louise f

louise f Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

• Like Like x 5
  7. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoprince Active Member

I use LED lights with a lot of my setups. I use daylight bulbs for breeding enclosures.

I have noticed that LED doesnt really effect my specimens but if I turn on tungsten/bulb, my Asian arboreals run into hide.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  8. TRection

9. KezyGLA

Thank you. Lighting makes display setups look great. Best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  10. MrTwister

MrTwister Arachnopeon

Currently have some leds scavenged from an old aquarium hood over my L. parahybana enclosure, have not not noticed a change in behaviour from when the spider was in an unlit enclosure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Love the shared pix!!!
    Maybe I need an led light strip or something.
    I was showing off my Ts last week to someone curious about them -- and regular room lighting as well as my small torch did nothing to bring out the gorgeous colours of my GBB.
    The effect is completely lost if I have to 'tell' you it's a brilliant blue. lol

It's just sad to have to say "lemme show you a picture I took with special lighting that shows her real colouring" when we're standing there for a live GBB viewing. lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Don't know what the obsession is with lighting. Spiders don't like light, I don't give them more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ack -- I wouldn't keep the light on all day or anything. But it would be nice to have excellent task lighting when checking on them, etc.. I mostly have terrestrials that probably don't care one way or the other re: lighting.
    But to recently be unable to show off a certain T's colouring -- that sorta stinks!

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. KezyGLA

Thats exactly what I use it for. It is also good to sit on the couch and admire them for a few minuts then off they go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. TRection

Exactly what im going to be doing as well lol

16. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Eh, I guess. Can't imagine many would stay out once the lights go on.

17. KezyGLA

Most of your Poecs would disappear and maybe all eastern Asian arboreals. The only OW arboreals tht stay out with mine on are Poecilotheria mirandas and metallicas.

Pretty much all my terrestrial stay out. But this is with LED. But whenever reason when I turn the room bulb on most run.

18. TarantulaArvind

TarantulaArvind Arachnopeon

India
    although the Ts may not be sensitive to LED lights but, what about the heat given out by the LED (exposure over a long period ?)?doesn't it cause dehydradation in case of humid species?

19. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    Most LEDs give off little to no heat compared to incandescent and other light sources. You can always hand check them before use if your worried. If it doesn't cause discomfort touching them after they have been on for a while then you're fine.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. KezyGLA

They lights are only on while attending to specimens or display viewing. LED dont give off much heat at all.

• Informative Informative x 1