1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LED light for bottle/vase terrarium?

Discussion in 'Live Plants' started by velvetundergrowth, Jul 9, 2019.

1. velvetundergrowth

velvetundergrowth Lobopro Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Anyone got any leads for a good LED grow lamp that would be suited to sitting in/above the opening of an enclosed vase-type terrarium? I've seen plenty of people using them with great results but can't find any good options.

I want to start building a couple of automated "eco bubble" terrariums to house small, interesting examples of exotic flora & fauna. The terrariums would each feature automated lighting, heating, air circulation and misting.
    The electrical components will all be housed in a circular "hood" that sits atop glass sphere (standard goldfish bowl).

Surprisingly the most difficult thing to pin down is the LED lighting. So any tips would be really helpful :)

2. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    I used a compact florescent bulb, with three watts per gallon. I found that LEDs tend to promote algae more than CFLs. How big is this case going to be? Anything less than five gallons and I would not put any animals in there. Five gallons is still kind of small for anything that is not shrimp or one small fish.

3. velvetundergrowth

They would mostly be terrestrial vivaria to house small/medium Inverts.
    We're talking glass globes about a foot in diameter. So a good amount of space for small critters and plants.

Think something like the BiOrb Air but smaller.

4. The Seraph

USA
    Oh, I thought this was aquatic. Haha, never mind then. I have no clue on LEDs. Sorry I could not be of help.

5. velvetundergrowth

Well at least one will technically be a paludarium as I want to recreate a desert pool to emulate the natural habitat of Triops.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Seraph

USA
    Ooh, that sounds hella nice. You should make a picture thread once you are done with those.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoprince Active Member

Probably almost anything on the market will work for you--LED bulbs are very bright. That does depend on what you're trying to grow, however. I would go for no less than 800 lumens, and I would also go for warm lights over cooo ones (closer to 3000K than 6000K)

8. bulbophyllum

bulbophyllum Arachnopeon Active Member

What about some of those LED under the cabinet puck lights? Just look for ones that run on 120v.

9. damhan

damhan Arachnopeon

Have a look at this: https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/cylinder-terrarium-p-4275.html#.XSWe-hHTU1I

and this: https://www.thespidershop.co.uk/lighting-c-36_117.html

I don't have them, so I can't say how good they are, but it may give you some ideas....

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. AzJohn

AzJohn Arachnoking Old Timer

I use high quality fresh water aquarium lighting on my dart frog enclosures. I grow all kinds of plants in them.

• Like Like x 2