Leave Crickets in with your T?

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've fed bits of chicken to slings...I've never gotten a refusal.
Do you suppose that the questionable makeup of a hotdog would be potentially harmful though? If you say no I'm gonna go feed that pampho a piece of hotdog and take a picture.

cold blood

Staff member
Do you suppose that the questionable makeup of a hotdog would be potentially harmful though? If you say no I'm gonna go feed that pampho a piece of hotdog and take a picture.
I dunno, probably not:bored:...the hot dog reference wasn't a serious one though.;)

Sana

Arachnoprince
I dunno, probably not:bored:...the hot dog reference wasn't a serious one though.;)
I didn't figure it was but that is a good picture of how pamphos eat. I'm not really convinced that it's a good plan to feed mine a hotdog but it's made me laugh at the mental picture so many times that it's nearly irresistible. I'm not convinced enough that it wouldn't hurt her to try it though. Tarantula health comes above the entertainment factor. I promise not to feed hotdogs to tarantulas.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
I thought about trying to feed nightcrawlers before, but I was worried about potential pesticides since I bought them as bait & didn't know where they came from.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I thought about trying to feed nightcrawlers before, but I was worried about potential pesticides since I bought them as bait & didn't know where they came from.
Most of the bait stores all sale farm raised worms so that most likely is not a issue. However, a regular sized nightcrawler is a hefty worm and you'd need a big T for it IMO.

Hellblazer

Arachnosquire
Most of the bait stores all sale farm raised worms so that most likely is not a issue. However, a regular sized nightcrawler is a hefty worm and you'd need a big T for it IMO.
I would use halves or smaller pieces. Sort of like cutting up a mealworm for slings except there would still be lots of movement.

Belf

Arachnopeon
is it possible for baby crickets to attack and eat a tarantula if left in the enclosure ?

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
is it possible for baby crickets to attack and eat a tarantula if left in the enclosure ?
Yes. Like previously stated above, they can eat or munch on your Tarantula while it's minding it's own business, sleeping or molting, or whatever. The problem with keeping it in the cage is the cricket livespan is only 8 weeks, so by no time it will be an adult and munch your T. Certainly it would eat the cricket in 8 weeks right? No, if it's molting or hiding, it is probably about to molt, and won't eat it and doesn't want anything to do with it. If you're afraid of crickets biting holes in the sides of your Tarantula you should crush the head of the cricket before you drop it in. I prefer to not do that, and drop in whole large crickets to my 3" G. Rosea. In either case, you should remove the cricket(s) after 24 hours of it being ignored or uneaten, even if you crush the head so it doesn't bite your T. This is to avoid pests and fungus/disease. I just started feeding small mealworms to it (unsexed) and it's fun to watch them eat two or three at the same time.

Be careful of mealworms, they can turn into beetles. Always watch the prey you put in your tank. Crickets can dig too, I've lost them before it's not fun.