Least Weasels as pets?

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Due to their small size, I'd assume they'd be a cool exotic pet. And knowing the people here at AB keep way more than Ts, I'd thought this'll be the right place to ask. Does anyone keep a Least Weasel as a pet or heard of them as pets?

Hayden

Arachnosquire
They don't live very long at all. Shorter life expectancy than a rat.

Arianji

Arachnosquire
Yeah very true on the life expectancy portion, these guys cap out at just over a year in the wild. I have read they can live up to six in captivity. I have only ever heard of wildlife rehabilitation programs having them though, I have never known of anybody who keeps them privately. But that is the real question, where would you even get one?
I kinda do have to agree with AzJohn, a ferret would probably be your better bet. They live longer, there is a lot more information on them, relatively inexpensive, a lot of supplies devoted to their care, and they are domesticated. Wild animals tamed and kept as pets are always a wild card, especially predatory one. Though it may be little and cute you would hate for it to snap one day and kill your other pets. Plus say you even procured a young one, still able to be tamed and it gets sick, who will treat your weasel? Exotic vet bills are a steep price, plus the vet probably has never treated one. If you have a female she will have to be spayed or she will bleed to death when she goes into heat.
I don't mean to rain on your parade but animals are domesticated for a reason, we breed out the undesirable traits to make them adapted to captive life. I know you probably want the edge of having a wild animal vs an easy come by pet, but dogs go better in the house than wolves, same with weasels and ferrets.
Don't get me wrong, if somebody comes up and says "Do you want a free, neutered/spayed, tame, healthy, juvenile least weasel?" then say "YES!" but otherwise I wouldn't go out of my way to obtain one.
Try a ferret if you like the idea of the weasel, they really are fun. But if you are still curious on least weasel information here is a good site (pertaining to their wild existence)

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Mustela_nivalis.html

And here is another one dealing with the rehabilitation of the animals, note this is not a sight meant to be used for their long term keep, but it does give you some useful information if by some stroke of luck someone graces you with a weasel.

http://foxwoodrehab.typepad.com/my_weblog/2006/05/weasels_the_coo.html

And here is one on ferrets :)

http://www.ferrets.org/Caring_For_Ferrets.htm

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Alright, I was just curious if they have any business as an exotic pet. (And they don't) Thanks for the info!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have thought about catching weasels and breeding them, then turning the parents loose. Would be like having minature ferrets, i love ferrets. But its going to be highly unlikely the young will be able to be handled. They are vicious little critters.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have thought about catching weasels and breeding them, then turning the parents loose. Would be like having minature ferrets, i love ferrets. But its going to be highly unlikely the young will be able to be handled. They are vicious little critters.
I've seen one captive Least Weasel, and if you can imagine the most-hyper ferret EVER...on crystal meth...you might have a slight glimpse as to what a weasel is like! They not only are very, very high-strung, but they are also extremely nervous animals that can easily stress and die within a few seconds over what you'd think was nothing, and that's what happened to the one I mentioned. The mere appearance of a dog near its enclosure(the dog paid no attention to it at all)was enough to send it into a frenzy, followed by seizures and death. They live their brief lives at 200 miles per hour, it seems, and burn out very quickly.

pitbulllady

lizardminion

Arachnolord
Well, I'm sure problems like these can be bred out by domestication as they were in the Russian silver fox experiment... ;)

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've seen weasels as pets on an exotic UK forum I used to visit quite frequently (there are some awesome small exotic mammals being kept over in the UK that just aren't available in the USA). From what I remember, they're still nasty little creatures in captivity and very hyper. Even moreso than ferrets. They also deliver quite the painful bite.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, I'm sure problems like these can be bred out by domestication as they were in the Russian silver fox experiment... ;)
The silver fox experiment covered 50 years of selective breeding of a social animal that is closely related to a species that has shown great response to human domestication. Least weasels are secretive, highly aggressive hunters, and highly territorial. I don't believe anyone would be able to achieve results similar to those of the silver fox experiments.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The silver fox experiment covered 50 years of selective breeding of a social animal that is closely related to a species that has shown great response to human domestication. Least weasels are secretive, highly aggressive hunters, and highly territorial. I don't believe anyone would be able to achieve results similar to those of the silver fox experiments.
Very true. Geneticists have even identified the gene that is responsible, that can be "activated" through selective breeding, but if that gene is not present, you're not going to get the same results as with the silver foxes. Not surprisingly, many canine species have this gene. American fur farmers have tried the same thing with ranched mink, to no avail. As closely related as mink are to ferrets, they remain aggressive biters, even when bottle-fed and captive-bred for generations.

Here's another tidbit of information about Least weasels that would make breeding them highly impracticle: females are impregnated when only a few DAYS old, when their eyes are still closed. A male weasel will track down a female that has just given birth to a litter and wait for her to leave for hunting, then he will enter the den and mate with the females in the litter, even though they're no larger than pinkie mice at this point, and he will kill all the male offspring if they aren't sired by him. The female babies grow up pregnant, storing sperm until they are old enough to give birth, at which time the embryos will implant and begin to grow.

pitbulllady

ScarecrowGirl

Arachnosquire
females are impregnated when only a few DAYS old, when their eyes are still closed. A male weasel will track down a female that has just given birth to a litter and wait for her to leave for hunting, then he will enter the den and mate with the females in the litter, even though they're no larger than pinkie mice at this point, and he will kill all the male offspring if they aren't sired by him. The female babies grow up pregnant, storing sperm until they are old enough to give birth, at which time the embryos will implant and begin to grow.

pitbulllady
That's down right crazy! I love learning new things<3

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very true. Geneticists have even identified the gene that is responsible, that can be "activated" through selective breeding, but if that gene is not present, you're not going to get the same results as with the silver foxes. Not surprisingly, many canine species have this gene. American fur farmers have tried the same thing with ranched mink, to no avail. As closely related as mink are to ferrets, they remain aggressive biters, even when bottle-fed and captive-bred for generations.

Here's another tidbit of information about Least weasels that would make breeding them highly impracticle: females are impregnated when only a few DAYS old, when their eyes are still closed. A male weasel will track down a female that has just given birth to a litter and wait for her to leave for hunting, then he will enter the den and mate with the females in the litter, even though they're no larger than pinkie mice at this point, and he will kill all the male offspring if they aren't sired by him. The female babies grow up pregnant, storing sperm until they are old enough to give birth, at which time the embryos will implant and begin to grow.

pitbulllady

beanb142002

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found this video last year.

Quite adorable...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthorntonwillis

Arachnosquire
Re:

Sounds a lot (sadly) like Amy Winehouse and Janis Joplin....:cry:

I've seen one captive Least Weasel, and if you can imagine the most-hyper ferret EVER...on crystal meth...you might have a slight glimpse as to what a weasel is like! They not only are very, very high-strung, but they are also extremely nervous animals that can easily stress and die within a few seconds over what you'd think was nothing, and that's what happened to the one I mentioned. The mere appearance of a dog near its enclosure(the dog paid no attention to it at all)was enough to send it into a frenzy, followed by seizures and death. They live their brief lives at 200 miles per hour, it seems, and burn out very quickly.

pitbulllady

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
In that case, I feel very sorry for the Mustela nivalis pet videos on youtube. The one where the animal appears to be playing with its owners finger.... Guess he never got the memo that hes supposed to die when he gets attention.... :sarcasm:

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
another necro thread revived. an interesting one at that. sounds like my dog has been taking lessons from weasels. little speedy ankle biter...

vargulf

Arachnopeon

pitbulllady
You are so full of shite, it's not even funny. Both of your comments about the least weasel are completely false. They do not die if a large animal gets to close. Nor do they breed at birth. Christ. Some people.