Least Scary vs. Most Scary

Keith B

Arachnobaron
I'm not scared of any of them really, but if you were to ask me what ones sounds the worst, I've read some things about S. calceatum being aggressive, but many owners say otherwise. The one that I've read the most actual "horror stories" from keepers about is H. lividum and some Haplopelmas in general. One of the worst bite reports I saw was P. subfusca and I have a female. Totally love her. I don't have a fear of them and much respect, so I guage what I get based on my fiancee. If she's scared of it, we pass. She's coming around. Used to be scared of Poecilotherias now she's not. I'm still getting nowhere with Haplopelma though. It's only fair that I share all the stories I see, good or bad, with her.

I'd say the least "scary" of all of the Ts I own is my female B. smithi. She's been nothing but a teddy bear her whole life.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
I have a B. verdezi thats puts both my H. macs and my P. Murinus to shame. The H. macs are little skittish but have never given me a threat pose. P. murinus thumps but never bites. My verdezi on the other hand attacks anything that comes near his cage. Kinda rare for a brachypelma but i guess i got a feisty one.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Key word being eventually didnt want to wait that long. Fact is he had no intrest in the cricket and was only worried about me. Im not scared of it. He just made me realize its not a t to be poking around in his cage.
They'll hunt when they are ready not you. Be patient and let them do their thing that they've been doing just fine for millions of years without people poking food in front of them. And fyi - *all* t's are not to be poked and prodded.

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
This is a simple question: what are the least "scary" Ts and most "scary" in terms of defensiveness and venom?

I know it sounds silly, but I'd love to know your opinions! :biggrin:
If a defensive nature is something you consider "scary", I wil answer your question by saying, "All of them. Stick to goldfish."

SpiritScale

Arachnopeon
I can't say any of my T's are 'scary' per say, though there are species that make me nervous due to venom potency----those species I do not keep. I am a little on edge because I have never been bitten and worry about allergic/intense reactions, but I am that way with most animals in that the unknown factor makes me anxious. But once I've gotten bitten (like by the parrot) I no longer hold any fear. I wouldn't say however that I am outright afraid of any of my T's. I am nervous about things I haven't experienced yet (being bitten, big bursts of speed, them crawling on me---touch sensitive) but not afraid of them.

The easiest T I have? Probably my A. avicularia. Girl's a sweetie. If my Euathlus sp. red sling wasn't a teeny speck of dust though I'd suggest it.
The most difficult to work with T I have? Right now that'd be the B. boehmei or the L. parahybana as they are the two most likely to really get spooked and bolt. Though, as my Nhandus get larger that could change.

The species that make me the most nervous are those with a reputation for nasty venom. Speed/defensiveness...enh, not a big deal (well I mean, yes, spider on the run is a big deal, but not in comparison to venom). You can run, just don't bite me.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
S. Calceatum has a heck of a rep. I heard a soldier died from a bite to the neck…forget where I read this but it shouldn't be too hard to find….do not know how true this is. P. Ornata sounds pretty wild since they are nervous, have potent venom, and get huge. Imagine the payload of nasty venom an enraged Ornata could deliver! Check Rob C's video…105 degree fever I believe…that is potentially life threatening if it persists. It seems that potent arboreals are more feared than the potent terrestrials…anybody have a reason for this? Speed, agility/climbing ability? I only have slings and juvies now but my arboreals are harder to deal with cause they retreat up more than they do down. All my terrestrials retreat either laterally or down into a burrow. Having a spider try to run up means it is coming out of its container and that is intimidating I think. For me, I have an Hmac and P Regalis and do not feel too afraid, more cautious so I move slow around them. The rep of S Calceatum and P Ornata pretty much keeps them off my wish list…though the thought is tempting sometimes.

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
They'll hunt when they are ready not you. Be patient and let them do their thing that they've been doing just fine for millions of years without people poking food in front of them. And fyi - *all* t's are not to be poked and prodded.
didnt say i was poking him read the post it says poking around his cage

persistent

Arachnopeon
There's no documented deaths of any known T. Period.

I know what story you're talking about and the soldier did not die. The physician who treated him said he might have died if left untreated. But that's subject to debate. This was written about in an article by Andrew Smith of the BTS and probably the biggest reason for S. cals bad rep. Especially compared to H. mac although they're exactly the same in behaviour (they also share the same habitat).

A friend of mine got bit by a large female and although very very painful, it wasn't any worse than the other potent species he said.

I've got 3 S. calceatum and 5 H. maculata and I find their reps are grossly overexaggerated. Also seems like the people spreading it's bad rep are always the ones who do not own one.

bscheidt1020

Arachnoknight
There's no documented deaths of any known T. Period.

I know what story you're talking about and the soldier did not die. The physician who treated him said he might have died if left untreated. But that's subject to debate. This was written about in an article by Andrew Smith of the BTS and probably the biggest reason for S. cals bad rep. Especially compared to H. mac although they're exactly the same in behaviour (they also share the same habitat).

A friend of mine got bit by a large female and although very very painful, it wasn't any worse than the other potent species he said.

I've got 3 S. calceatum and 5 H. maculata and I find their reps are grossly overexaggerated. Also seems like the people spreading it's bad rep are always the ones who do not own one.
That is good to know…I have a small Hmac and to me, she seems very shy, and not inclined to confrontation. When I have kids, the spider containers all go in a ventilated and locking cabinet. Not that I won't teach em about the spiders, but its not worth a youngster taking a hit from something HOT due to a childish mistake or curiosity. If I choose to continue with OW's once I have kids, precautions will be taken. As for myself, I think Angel (H. Maculata juvie) and I have an understanding…I don't move to quick and she won't try to beat me up.

awiec

Arachnoprince
Keeping a calm and level head is the best recipe for not having holes in your hand. I suppose I listed my pumpkin as "scary" more due to the fact that he is not afraid of me one bit and will bolt, so really I'm more "scared" of losing him. My so called "hot" T species are very calm as I use slow deliberate movements when I work and let them calm down enough to where I'm perceived as less of a threat. Of course I treat all of them with respect as it seems my NW think they are OW and are usually the ones giving me some attitude, all of my OW will just go sit in their corners and wait for me to stop playing with their cages. Sure it may take me 5 minutes just to give some of them water but I still have all of my T's and my hand.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
didnt say i was poking him read the post it says poking around his cage
Yep. Unnecessarily poking around in front of your spider, who can sense minor changes in air pressure and react accordingly. Like it did when it ran up your tongs. Again, don't poke or prod your spiders.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Unanswerable question. Entirely subjective dependent upon personal reactions, past experiences and knowledge of T's. Will the person who has handled and been bit by every T that could be considered frightening please weigh in.

SuzukiSwift

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A thread pertaining to the soldier bitten by the calceatum can be found here

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/archive/index.php/t-26593.html

The first part talks about the soldier who was bitten on the neck, he had vascular throbbing and intense pain shooting through a lot of his body, if they didn't have an extraction kit then he 'might' have died but there's no way to know. It proves calceatum has one hell of a bite, most powerful venom of any T in my opinion, but there are no recorded deaths from it, nor any T, and we should all intend to keep it that way by not being stupid =)

Second part is pretty funny about a guy housing 18 calceatum slings, he has an episode with the last one and records all the thoughts that went through his mind, it's really hilarious lol

ieatkats

Arachnopeon
Yep. Unnecessarily poking around in front of your spider, who can sense minor changes in air pressure and react accordingly. Like it did when it ran up your tongs. Again, don't poke or prod your spiders.
watch any one of rob c's or jon3800 videos two very well respected people in the hobby. Are u going to tell them that they unnecessarily put they're Tongs in a t's cage because u believe in a different way of feeding. I don't like to leave their food in their cage overnight. So I make sure the t gets his prey. And if not I remove it. There seems to be alot of condescending thoughts towards people who are what you guys call noob's. Don't assume to know me or label me because my methods are different than yours.

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
At the risk of going off topic, I don't care how "respected" or "experienced" a person is - unnecessary prodding is unnecessary. Tong feeding is one thing - dropping the food and then prodding and poking around is something different. Drop the food in then check on it before bed - no need for unnecessary prodding and possible bite risk.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
At the risk of going off topic, I don't care how "respected" or "experienced" a person is - unnecessary prodding is unnecessary. Tong feeding is one thing - dropping the food and then prodding and poking around is something different. Drop the food in then check on it before bed - no need for unnecessary prodding and possible bite risk.
+1. You may just stir up more than you bargained for.