Least favorite tarantula species

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Id really like to hear your least favorite species and why
The ones that I do not currently own, for obvious reasons!

I guess I might be the only one who says C. cyaneopubescens. Don't get me wrong, because I do love my girls and I'm not going to part with them, but they are probably my least favorite. The bright colors don't appeal to me at all - understated and more subtle coloring is what I find the most attractive. My girls are very skittish, although they have never been defensive. They never want to eat and have no enthusiasm to do so.
I got them because I wanted someone who webbed. It took forever for them to do so and now all their webbing is looking dingy and neglected and it's an eyesore. It used to look lovely and now it's just dirty and pathetic looking.
View attachment 224706
Sounds like you got some unusual specimens of the species. Most of the ones I have seen are much more attentive to their homes and are good eaters.

With regard to the subject of hairs, I guess I need to start wearing gloves when changing out water dishes, but these bad habits are hard to break.
Use 2oz souffle cups. When the water level drops use long handled tweezers to pull the old one out and place a new one in. Makes the risk of touching the setae virtually non-existent while at the same time makes cleaning the water dish a breeze since all you have to do is a quick swap.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
B. albospilosum "Hobby form" simply because the much fluffier non-hybridized B. albospilosum nicaraguan wild type exists. It's not that I dislike albo's it's just that the nicaragua imports and their offspring are so much better and the fact I could have a T thats better in every way in my opinion puts the hobby form pretty low on my list.

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
I don't really care for T. blondi.. Although they are big, their colors are dull and there's the health problems etc.. :D Don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but I'm not really such a fan. I prefer T. Stirmi.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I guess I might be the only one who says C. cyaneopubescens. Don't get me wrong, because I do love my girls and I'm not going to part with them, but they are probably my least favourite. The bright colours don't appeal to me at all - understated and more subtle colouring is what I find the most attractive. My girls are very skittish, although they have never been defensive. They never want to eat and have no enthusiasm to do so.
I got them because I wanted someone who webbed. It took forever for them to do so and now all their webbing is looking dingy and neglected and it's an eyesore. It used to look lovely and now it's just dirty and pathetic looking.
View attachment 224706
These are definitely my least favorite, too! (They're also the only ones, other than wild-caught local Aphonopelma sp. that I have two of! Go figure.) My first GBB was a Craigslist purchase (a 2-fer with a beautiful "blue bloom bird-eater" (Pamphobeteus sp?) from a guy who was deploying in the military). The GBB was a terrible hair kicker. He turned out to be a mature male so I swapped him to another guy who was looking to mate his female and received a juvenile A. avic instead. I went and picked up a couple of younger GBBs, hoping they'd be good display tarantulas. Turns out I hardly ever see them - and every time I dare disturb them (to feed them, fill their water dishes, remove molts or dead crickets, etc.) they kick hairs like crazy. Even my T. stirmi is more cooperative! They spend all their time in their webs (which are pretty impressive, I'll grant them that, though they are full of substrate, pieces of molts, etc.) and are not terribly aggressive feeders, usually preferring to wait until after I've gone before tackling their crickets.

Minty

@londontarantulas
From the species I've owned, the Hapalopus triseriatus, is probably the tarantula I get the least enjoyment from, though I still appreciate its colourful abdomen. I can't be the only person who thinks it's one of the tarantulas that doesn't look stereotypically like a tarantula? I think it's the legs.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
From the species I've owned, the Hapalopus triseriatus, is probably the tarantula I get the least enjoyment from, though I still appreciate its colourful abdomen. I can't be the only person who thinks it's one of the tarantulas that doesn't look stereotypically like a tarantula? I think it's the legs.
I think they look good. But behavour wise, boring.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont like B harmori very much. I dont know why, tjey are beutiful, but not my cup of tea! Of all NW spiders i like the Phormictopus genus the best i think!

cold blood

Staff member
1. H. mac....i dont get the hype surrounding a schizoprenic, photosensitive, potent arboreal.

2. C. lividus....beautiful, but a vastly over rated pet hole.

3. LP...boring

4. Theraphosa...military grade hairs on a big brown t....no thanks.

5. OBT...the ultimate in over rated ts.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
TYPHOCHLAENA SELADONIA
Caps lock :bored:

I do love and appreciate basically every (somewhat) Theraphosidae but I will tell you what I will never keep or keep anymore*.

Basically 'Avics' (no matter which species, no matter how 'rare' a certain species can be) and the so called 'dwarf T's', in particular the NW's 'dwarf' ones.

'Avics': Yes I know that 'Avics' are so cool and whatever and that 'everyone' likes those and that 'no collection is worth of that name without one' and etc but for me are nothing else than too much coloured boring poop shooters... give me whatever Psalmopoeus species you want, and I will take that.

'Dwarfs': Simply Theraphosidae and 'Dwarfs' can't mix, is a nonsense for me. Period. If I want a microbe, I will purchase a microbe :bored:

*Of course I wouldn't say a 'No' to eventually rescued T's, so if 'Avics' and 'Dwarfs' are in that, yeah, well, ok. But let's hope not.

Last edited by a moderator:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
x2

Colors are nice, size nah. Get me a Pamphobeteus sized tarantula with the same colors and then come talk to me. Until then, keep your Phiddipus sized spider.
Did we just have a similar opinion on a tarantula? :eek:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Did we just have a similar opinion on a tarantula? :eek:
More likely, actually everyone that isn't under the spell of the "fashion T's" insanity (like happened in early 90's, in Europe, with 'blue T's') can see that T.seladonia are only an over priced (and today, for that matter, even hard to get) 'scam' :)

It's like H.pulchripes, I always stated in this site that people were basically paying an helluva of bucks for a differently coloured, same easy to breed, more little and shy, 'OBT' :bored:

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
More likely, actually everyone that isn't under the spell of the "fashion T's" insanity (like happened in early 90's, in Europe, with 'blue T's') can see that T.seladonia are only an over priced (and today, for that matter, even hard to get) 'scam' :)

It's like H.pulchripes, I always stated in this site that people were basically paying an helluva of bucks for a differently coloured, same easy to breed, more little and shy, 'OBT' :bored:
It's an ongoing joke between me and the Pamphobeteus lover there. ;) We have different views on which genera are worth collecting.