Least favorite tarantula species

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
One thing I love and IMO priceless about A.geniculata: after a B.dubia meal, when they clean themselves, if you watch closely those eyes and chelicerae moving, those looks like a sort of 1900 bodybuilder/barons mustaches :kiss:
Like Arnie in the 70s :rofl:

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
A. genic are quite nice though I think N. chromatus look better and they still demolish food like crazy. They dont get enough credit. The carapace of E. murinus, the legs of A. genic, the abdomen of B. vagans, the attitude of P. pulcher and the appetite of the late Lucci Paverotti :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Do I detect a revolt of the Rosies?
Most boring spider I have ever owned was G.pulchripes.. I had three and they never did anything EVER.. They Just sat out in the open derpin around..
Yeah but this activity describes the majority of the species in this hobby (especially when we create hides for them and drop prey right in front of them). The important thing is how good of a job they do at doing nothing.:wacky:

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Do I detect a revolt of the Rosies?

Yeah but this activity describes the majority of the species in this hobby (especially when we create hides for them and drop prey right in front of them). The important thing is how good of a job they do at doing nothing.:wacky:
No way new poo trails tell me my arboreals did something while I was sleeping.. I notice something new with my OBs enclosure regularly wether it's signs they are expanding, openeing new chambers or sealing them off etc..

With G.pulchripes they ignored there hides created a mound out of there sub in the middle of there enclosure layed a thin layer of web on it and did nothing for 5 years..

I wouldn't take another pulchripes if someone payed me $100 to take it!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
I don't know why rosies are hated so much. Yes they are common. Yes they don't do much.... but they are pretty much the backbone (little irony) of this hobby. I wonder how few hobbyists there would be without that gem that pulls them in. Yes they are a little boring but they send most on the way to keeping more species, and that my friends is one of the most important things to remember. They are the beginning of the interest in keeping arachnids for most.

As for their appearance. They come in a few different forms. Each of which aren't dull IMO. Be it shiny gold with rose carapace to deep pink/reds, each CF is attractive to my eyes. So what if everyone has got one. There is good reason for that and any collection without one is lacking the infamous icon of theraphosidae.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
No way new poo trails tell me my arboreals did something while I was sleeping.. I notice something new with my OBs enclosure regularly wether it's signs they are expanding, openeing new chambers or sealing them off etc..

With G.pulchripes they ignored there hides created a mound out of there sub in the middle of there enclosure layed a thin layer of web on it and did nothing for 5 years..

I wouldn't take another pulchripes if someone payed me $100 to take it!
My G. pulchripes are are only nearing Juvenile state so I don't have any adults. I provided all of them pre-made burrows and a couple of them have bulldozed to the point that more airspace exists underneath the substrate than above it on my large deli cups.

I can see that my sexed females - Neoholothele incei and Bumba cabocla are always at work doing something with changes everyday on their living areas. I am thrilled with both of them. Some people have stated they never see their Bumba cabocla, but mine is the opposite. It is webbing up the entrance to the hide above its burrow and eats regularly. I get a nice view of it on many nights when darkness arrives.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
this went from least favorite T to Rose Hair worship...I am cool with that

Going to echo what others have said, theraphosa genus.

dopamine

Arachnobaron
It's the striking colors, if your confused about that hype.
It's obviously subjective but i just don't see it. B. emilia or A. chalcodes have much prettier colors and comparable temperament imo and you don't hear about them nearly as much. They're also much cheaper lol. To each their own though...

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
This is a good thread for beginners like myself. It's always good to see the cons of species. However it's always good to know that some put up with those cons. It's the pet rock vs the pet hole vs the pet bark.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
I'd have to say my least favorite species is pretty much any species as a tiny sling. I just don't have the time for them. They are hard to see, they need to eat several times a week, just maddening and I don't have the patience.
The adult species I won't own is the G porteri. I had two before. I don't deal with extended, 9 months to a year fasts very well. Just being honest.
Patience at either end isn't my virtue, although I am getting better.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I'd have to say my least favorite species is pretty much any species as a tiny sling. I just don't have the time for them. They are hard to see, they need to eat several times a week, just maddening and I don't have the patience.
The adult species I won't own is the G porteri. I had two before. I don't deal with extended, 9 months to a year fasts very well. Just being honest.
Patience at either end isn't my virtue, although I am getting better.
If you have multiple G. rosea(10)/porteri(6) someone is always eating LOL
I cant think of a least favorite, all are interesting in some way. Some are just frustrating but still interesting.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Good one ROFLMAO, I actually only have one picky eater in that group all the others take dubia and red runners.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm not all that interested in any Asian species (I know, heresy for many people here). I would probably end up enjoying a Pokie, but I'm sticking with African and new world. The Asian pet holes or super reclusive arboreals (violaceopes, etc) don't appeal to me. Also, I never want to deal with a Theraphosa.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
I'm not all that interested in any Asian species (I know, heresy for many people here). I would probably end up enjoying a Pokie, but I'm sticking with African and new world. The Asian pet holes or super reclusive arboreals (violaceopes, etc) don't appeal to me. Also, I never want to deal with a Theraphosa.
might look up for Chilobrachys genus, they are super-interesting ;)