Lava-lamp aquarium ideas?

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Hi, all

I have recently taken an interest in lava-lamp aquariums. While they are few and far in between, they look really interesting. The lava-lamp is 2' high, so I imagine it might do good for a community invertebrate(s)?

So, does anyone know...

• how to remove the "lava-lamp'' function and all that extra stuff?
  • How to put the filter in and make sure the inhabitants don't escape
  • If the lava-lamp isn't a good idea, what aquarium setups look "cool'' and "sci-fi''-esque?

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
So, does anyone know...
  • how to remove the "lava-lamp'' function and all that extra stuff?
If your lamp is built similar to the one we have at home, the "lava part" can just be taken off.
If this doesnt work, I would advise you to open it up and just take everything apart. The "lava part" will propably have an opening of some sort through which you can access the inside.
Problem is: if you cant find this easily, then its propably not very practical for maintenance.

• How to put the filter in and make sure the inhabitants don't escape
Either you have a hole near the top for air circulation (yep, aquatic systems need air) and feed the cable through there or you make it an enclosed ecosphere. With this you won´t have to do any maintenance and it would work without a filter because its a self-sustaining ecosystem.

• If the lava-lamp isn't a good idea, what aquarium setups look "cool'' and "sci-fi''-esque?
Generally, most naturalistic aquariums look cool if they are done right.
But you could spice the outside up by having a custom frame.

Maybe have a look on pinterest? There are many pics of fancy aquariums on there.
But in the end it totally depends on what animals you want to keep.

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
If your lamp is built similar to the one we have at home, the "lava part" can just be taken off.
If this doesnt work, I would advise you to open it up and just take everything apart. The "lava part" will propably have an opening of some sort through which you can access the inside.
Problem is: if you cant find this easily, then its propably not very practical for maintenance.

Either you have a hole near the top for air circulation (yep, aquatic systems need air) and feed the cable through there or you make it an enclosed ecosphere. With this you won´t have to do any maintenance and it would work without a filter because its a self-sustaining ecosystem.

Generally, most naturalistic aquariums look cool if they are done right.
But you could spice the outside up by having a custom frame.

Maybe have a look on pinterest? There are many pics of fancy aquariums on there.
But in the end it totally depends on what animals you want to keep.
thanks a ton, dude!

I researched those EcoSpheres. They're expensive, but dang they are cool! Amazing how all you need to do is provide light and that's it. If only other aquariums were like that lmao

SIM

Arachnopeon
Depending on the the creature you put inside, sphere/cylindrical aquatic enclosures can be really stressful to its inhabitants. The shape distorts their vision and if they need to swim back and forth they'll be forced to swim in a circle which makes them feel stressed as well.

I recommend doing a little more research on animal/enclosure relations because something like a jellyfish /definitely/ needs a sphere/cylinder but school fish [not inverts I know] will hate it

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new aquatic friends whenever you get them

Godzillaalienfan1979

Arachnoknight
Depending on the the creature you put inside, sphere/cylindrical aquatic enclosures can be really stressful to its inhabitants. The shape distorts their vision and if they need to swim back and forth they'll be forced to swim in a circle which makes them feel stressed as well.

I recommend doing a little more research on animal/enclosure relations because something like a jellyfish /definitely/ needs a sphere/cylinder but school fish [not inverts I know] will hate it

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new aquatic friends whenever you get them
Interesting! I never knew that! Thanks so much for the heads-up. Better you tell me that than I get the animals and half of them die within a month from stress.

I'm confused-do inverts like it or not? School fish I understand, but my aquarium is going to be invert-only.

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
thanks a ton, dude!

I researched those EcoSpheres. They're expensive, but dang they are cool! Amazing how all you need to do is provide light and that's it. If only other aquariums were like that lmao
Ecospheres or Biospheres can be made at home.

These videos show some examples of selfmade Ecospheres:

SIM

Arachnopeon
I'm confused-do inverts like it or not? School fish I understand, but my aquarium is going to be invert-only.
I'm not fully educated on the keeping of aquatic inverts So I don't think I can advise you on it any further that what I have. I just know that certain animals need certain shaped enclosures. I'm sure there are lots of other online resources. *Just remember not to listen to pet shops*

Marvinxox

Arachnoknight
Fish don´t like it because it messes with their orientation-organ.

Inverts have no problem with round walls as long as they have the space they need.
So I won´t advise you to get crayfish as they need more floor space, but shrimp could do fine as they only need surface in general. To them it doesnt matter if its the floor or a sidewall of the tank. And as you look to get a display-tank, shrimp will propably be your way to go.

I had an idea how you could convert your lava-lamp.
You could just take the "lava tube" out and replace it with a custom acrylic tube that has a cap on the bottom.
And on the top you could build a lid with integrated lightning.

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Definitely not very ideal and unless its a pretty wide lava lamp I wouldn't really attempt it unless its some small aquatic invert.