Latrodectus sp. Slings

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
A little while ago a friend brought me a latrodectus sp. He found at work. I found out it was female when a sack appeared, and today hanging around her web are a few dozen slings. I dont really expect anyone to want to buy 1/8th inch slings and I dont intend to raise them all, so I think I'm going to release them as they are native to my area anyway. My question is, how long should I wait until they would be safe to release? Also, how should I go about feeding them? I know that I can drop a prekilled meal onto moms web and she'll eat it, but will the little guys go up and share the meal with each other, or do I have to do something different?

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Once the slings molt and start spreading out, it's time to release them.
They're already spread all around the edges of the container on mom's web, so I guess they'd be ready now? Should I try to give them a meal before releasing them or just let them go as soon as possible? If they're ready now I can release them tonight, I already have a peaceful place for them picked out.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
They're already spread all around the edges of the container on mom's web, so I guess they'd be ready now? Should I try to give them a meal before releasing them or just let them go as soon as possible?
You can put food in there if you want, but if they're no longer clustered together near the egg sac, they're ready to disperse.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
All the slings have been released into the woods away from any people's houses, which was easier said than done in Houston. I just separated the mom from the web and essentially put the entire enclosure outside and am now remaking it for the proud mother.

Attachments