Latrodectus question

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Does anybody in here knows if all latrodectus got to have the red sand clock looking underneath it's abdomen?
I have gotten something that looks similar to a latrodectus, maybe it is from the family Theridiidae, but it does not have that mark.
I have seen some pictures of latrodectus in here, I have seen that there are many kinds, so can someone help me out?
Also, how big can they get after reashing to adult?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not all Latrodectus individuals show the hourglass. Also, there are other theridiids that resemble Latrodectus. Steatoda is one. If you have a microscope look at the eye arrangement on your spider. In Steatoda the anterior and posterior lateral eyes will be touching. In Latrodectus they are separated by about the diameter of an eye.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks a lot for the information. It is really difficult to look at the eyes of the spider I found because of the shape of the head, it is too small to see. I will take some pictures and post them here so you can see them. The color is brown with redish legs. The abdomen has some coloration as well.

Ricardo

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looking on the internet for pictures of the specie you told me (Steatoda), I have found that looks pretty much like the one I am keeping. Do you know if they are also venomous like latrodectus?

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looking on the internet for pictures of the specie you told me (Steatoda), I have found that looks pretty much like the one I am keeping. Do you know if they are also venomous like latrodectus?
The only Steatoda I've heard any venom concerns about is Steatoda paykulliana, which is found around the Mediterranean region and parts of Northern Europe and, recently, in Southern England. This may be the same spider I used to catch in Iran, and if so I wouldn't worry about it. My friends and I used to catch it by scooping it out of its web with our hands. We were never bitten. You didn't say where you are, but this species of Steatoda does not occur in North America.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am from Colombia South America.
The specimen was found in the atick, but we also have gotten them on the corners of the walls and windows.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am from Colombia South America.
The specimen was found in the atick, but we also have gotten them on the corners of the walls and windows.
It might help if you could post a clear, up-close photograph.

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yes, post a picture, that would help the most. latrodectus are pretty easy to ID, especially to differentiate from steatoda. and no, steatoda are really nothing to worry about. and no, not all widows have the hourglass. latrodectus (most) get to be give or take about 1-1.5" in DLS.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
latrodectus are pretty easy to ID, especially to differentiate from steatoda.
Uh...did I miss a memo or something? The only way to 100% identify a Latrodectus specimen is via genitalia, and that can only be done by dissection.

But I will agree they are quite easy to differentiate from Steatoda sp..

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Uh...did I miss a memo or something? The only way to 100% identify a Latrodectus specimen is via genitalia, and that can only be done by dissection.

We were talking about differentiating between genera, between Latrodectus and Steatoda. You can do this just by examining the eyes.

I agree that once you've identified the genus you must then look at the genitalia to determine species.

Last edited:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer

We were talking about differentiating between genera, between Latrodectus and Steatoda. You can do this just by examining the eyes.

I agree that once you've identified the genus you must then look at the genitalia to determine species.
yep :clap:

still waitin for a pic :drool:

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yeah, it seems like Toolrick is concerned he might have Latrodectus in his house. He thought the spiders he's seeing might be theridiids. That's why I said to check the eyes. If the PLE and ALE are touching, it's definitely not Latrodectus.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello to all, sorry I have not posted a picture. I just got home from a trip and read all the messages. Unfortunately the batterys of my cammera are low. I will post a picture soon though.
Thanks for all the repplys. Is there any latrodectus in South America? it seems that most of them are found in the US from what I have heard.

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Is there any latrodectus in South America? it seems that most of them are found in the US from what I have heard.
Yes, Latrodectus can be found in S. America. Also, there are about 30 or so species worldwide.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok, so here are the shitty pictures I could take with my cammera. Sorry I could not get a better picture.

lhystrix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Based on the info you posted and these images, I'm 100% sure you have nothing more than the red house spider, Nesticodes rufipes, despite what others may try to tell you. Common and harmless.

toolrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Jeff, I think you are right. I have searched over the net and pictures seem to be exactly what I have.
She layed an eggsack yesterday. Do you know how I could keep her?