Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
CF, looks like your widow could be L. tredecimguttatus.

pretty color variation, btw.
Thanks for the ID! I never knew widows could get this big till I saw them the day I took this pictures! It was such and exciting find.
Silly thing is, I noticed they where EVERYWHERE after I found the first one. haha.
I think she was gravid!

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Thanks for the ID! I never knew widows could get this big till I saw them the day I took this pictures! It was such and exciting find.
the treds are some of the larger widows. they can get absolutely MASSIVE. thick-bodied, long-legged. the sacs are also very large, about 7/8" by 1/2". much bigger than the NA species.

Silly thing is, I noticed they where EVERYWHERE after I found the first one. haha.
I think she was gravid!
haha, once you find 1 or 2, you know what to look for and start seeing a whole lot more!

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the treds are some of the larger widows. they can get absolutely MASSIVE. thick-bodied, long-legged. the sacs are also very large, about 7/8" by 1/2". much bigger than the NA species.

haha, once you find 1 or 2, you know what to look for and start seeing a whole lot more!

Hehe no wonder she doesn't have an hourglass shape ;D :rolleyes:

I hope to go back to croatia someday :D can't wait. hehe I wonder if vancouver has interesting spiders ? hmmm *googles...* lol

Thanks for the help!

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
!
Widowman, what other Latrodectus sp. gets their size, if any?

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
Widowman, what other Latrodectus sp. gets their size, if any?
i believe dahli are supposedly the largest species there is.

buthus had some treds (maybe? who knows, could be revs?) that were pretty tiny. mine were absolutely massive though. legspan was just the same if not longer than the southeastern variolus (which are the largest NA widows), but the CL, and leg thickness completely dwarfs any others i've seen.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
i believe dahli are supposedly the largest species there is.

buthus had some treds (maybe? who knows, could be revs?) that were pretty tiny. mine were absolutely massive though. legspan was just the same if not longer than the southeastern variolus (which are the largest NA widows), but the CL, and leg thickness completely dwarfs any others i've seen.
Thanks for the insight.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This discussion of relative sizes has me intrigued. I am wondering, now, if we can use CL and/or other body measurements to estimate which Latro spp. have the largest venom yields.

Swedish_Ingrid

Arachnopeon
Sheniqua, my adorable L. Hesperus

I have a lovely, plump L. Hesperus. She enjoys eating waxworms, crickets and other bugs. She frequently practices her "olive with toothpicks stuck in it" impression. So cute. Pics to follow soon.

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
:(

:( Sorry for your loss. The L. geometricus are a beautiful spider I have had many of them, and as for a widow its up there is the L. Bishopi and L. Pallidus as far as not being the "Norm." of widows...

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
Another Question, where do all of you have the most luck finding L.hesperus?
Inside of the Warehouse I work in, on the West side of Reno, NV!!! I've now got a collection of several DOZEN, with (3) more just located today, to "re-locate" to containers on my desk!!! You gotta love working for an enviro-friendly company (well sometimes,) that doesn't believe in spraying for bugs!;P

John Koerner

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Beautiful shots, Joe!

I was fortunate enough to meet Joe yesterday, on a trip with G.B. Edwards, where not only did we find this stunning Red Widow ... but we found a new species of spider as well :)

Jack