Latrodectus (Theridiidae) Picture Thread

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I need to take some new pics for this thread which has been languishing for some time.

John
];')

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very nice pics! The "spider photo rig" is an interesting idea. :cool:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
Figured I'd put this info here since this thread has alot of photos.

L. hesperus (western black widow) Western US and Canada(BC)
L. mactans (southern black widow) Southeastern US
L. variolus (northern black widow) Northeastern US
L. bishopi (red widow) Florida
L. geometricus (brown widow) Florida

You can find more info by using the search function(s).

John
];')

mactans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome pics, thanks for making a sticky for this one. Now if I would chill on the Invert spending and invest in a digicam then I would be able to show off my babies.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Alright, Kug. Here are my pics. And thanks for the info on the PM.

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
S_Hourglass said:
for those in question, here's a great widow identification site between the mactans and the hesperus:
http://www.uvm.edu/~rtbell/Widow.html
That link is nice and all but I have seen adult L.hesperus females look like just about all those examples...color patterns vary greatly within the same species and should not be used as the sole means for identification method to differentiate between two similar species.

John
];')

S_Hourglass

Arachnopeon
very true, although the dorsal and the ventral combined eliminate possibilities of one or the other sometimes. You also have to remember, latrodectus are cross-bred between the different species, too, so that can make things even trickier. The site I was linking was just for those who don't know much about the latrodectus, a way for them to get a generally clearer idea. There are always exceptions to anything.

mactans

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Eggsacs are the best known method of identifying Widows of North America. The variations on dorsal and ventral markings are amazing and sometimes bizarre. Get this I found a Black Widow yesterday, in my OWN backyard, with a swirly olive-colored abdomen with a complete ventral red hourglass, and small dorsal markings resembling faint light red diamonds/tear drops, and the cephalothorax and legs are black as pitch. Never saw anything like it before. My prize Western Black Widow if that is indeed what it is.

Last edited:

Kugellager

Arachnosupporter
S Hourglass,

I was aware of that I just wanted to point out that color at many times in inadequate for ID...especially where the ranges overlap.

John
];')

D4RK-3L3M3NT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome Black Widows all around - but sometimes I get nervous just doing this! :eek:

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS!

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
why do you get nervus As a ctreature they are very shy and will more then likely run to the nearest dark crevus they can find, unless of course you are pinching them trying to rip their legs off or smushing them they will mroe then not bite you in those insadinses.

D4RK-3L3M3NT

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Malhavoc's said:
why do you get nervus As a ctreature they are very shy and will more then likely run to the nearest dark crevus they can find, unless of course you are pinching them trying to rip their legs off or smushing them they will mroe then not bite you in those insadinses.
Simply due to the toxicity of their venom.

gdfelas

Arachnopeon
Can We Get Some More Latodectus Pics !!!!

id like to see more L. enclosures. Or just cool pics. some new ones i know there are a bunch on here but only a few compared to T pics. Plus looking for ideas with my new widows.

Attachments

swatc1h

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ill post a webcam picture right after a eggsac pops-up for the first due to the fact she mated 4 days ago... :cool: