Latrodectus geometricus Questions

Kyle Stoddard

Arachnopeon
I am in la at the moment and caught 4 wild geos and one of them is very dark without orange markings on it's back I was wondering if it's sick or if it's just a different color form

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
I am in la at the moment and caught 4 wild geos and one of them is very dark without orange markings on it's back I was wondering if it's sick or if it's just a different color form
Latrodectus geometricus is somewhat variable in coloring, including dark color forms.

Do you have any photos?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I sometimes keep L. geometricus, and can personally attest to the high degree of variability in their coloration, from nearly white to so dark they could easily be mistaken for L. hesperus or another of the black widows. They are pretty common at my kids' school, particularly in the fences and hand-rails. Most of the ones I see are the lighter morphs, but I've found the darker ones as well. I've also raised light-colored juveniles that matured dark.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Latrodectus geometricus is somewhat variable in coloring,
Up in Northern California on the coast there are a lot of them that are a single uniform color ranging from from brown through brick red-females. Males are usually the generic color. They are known locally as 'Brown Wood(s) Spider', a serious misnomer.

Kyle Stoddard

Arachnopeon
Well hopefully it's just a color variation, also I did not collect any males but I'm pretty sure they're all fertile being in a open park under bbqs.