Last Post Before I Finally Take The Plunge :)

Bradley Dreaver

Arachnopeon
Hey to all my fellow hobbyists I am from Australia as some of you know. I have narrowed down to these 4 species:
Selenotypus Champagne Robustus
Selenotypus Sp. Banana
Selenotypus Sp6 Wallace
Selenotypus Sp. Apis Creek

those are the 4 I am looking at that are in stock from the website I am using. can I get more experienced keepers give me facts, tips and advice about them and which one is the best beginner one. (enclosure size, temperament, max size and its webbings)

Edit: I am getting it as a sling if that helps

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
Jealous..Australian T,s are just fascinating.Probably, because I will never have the opportunity to have,and
enjoy them.
But,my vote would be,Selenotypus sp.banana.Because it sounds awesome.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I keep all 4 of those and it's much of a muchness regarding habit, basically they are all the same species just different locality variants, different colours,
Champagne would be the prettiest, banana would be the slowest growing imo. None of the above are fast growers. Wallace are a good species to keep also.
My opinion is probs biased as I am definitely a phlogius guy.
(I know who probably bred these as I bought hundreds at the start of this year and using my permit distributed them to retailers all over Aus. The same chick bred all 4 species listed and all are December 2018 hatch)

Last edited:

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
So glad to hear! You will thoroughly enjoy this hobby, I just know it.

My personal reccomendation for a beginner is always and adult Selenotypus "Wallace", but I think any of those 4 look and behave neary identical to each other. From the many photos Ive seen, i think Selenotypus sp. "Champagne Robustus" is probably the prettiest species after Wallace and S.Plumipes (not available very often unfortunately, but Plumipes has extremely thick back legs).

For facts, they are probably one of our most truly unique tarantula genus, because most of the others can be found outside Australia. They are alleged to possess the strongest insecticidal venom of known spiders (I'll reinforce the "alleged" part), but are probably the calmest ones we have in terms of general behaviour. Typical fossorials, they like digging extensive burrows that they line with only trace amounts of webbing. They are the slowest growing of our currently named genus's, taking several years to reach adulthood.

Care is very easy and to my knowledge is pretty much the same for every species in Selenotypus, just a tub/container/terrarium that's preferably at least 15-20cm high, the width and length is just up to you to decide depending on the size of your specimen. The substrate should be at least 12cm deep for a larger one, but can be a bit less for a sling. Keep the bottom half the substrate looking damp (but not WET), and allow the top few centimetres to dry out