Lasiodorides striatus

tictactank

Arachnopeon
hello people...i hope some one out there an help me out...i'm planning to purchase a 4.5inch Lasiodorides striatus female...well i went online and tried finding some information about this tarantula, but i fail to find any solid care sheet or info about this tarantula species...so i'm hoping any of you out there can share me some info on this tarantula like, care sheet, general info, your experience, and recommendation on this species.....thanking you in advance...

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I haven't owned this species in particular but I have had a few species from Peru. We keep humidity relatively high, 70%+.
We keep our tarantula room around 80 degrees. I would use a mixed earth bedding, something to hold humidity.
You could add a small water dish to help keep the moisture in check but it will likely use it for garbage.

This is in my experience/opinion.

John

tictactank

Arachnopeon
thanks for the info...but, do you have any idea of the growth rate? how big can it grow? and it's temperamental..?

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
As its from the Lasiodora family I'm guessing it will get somewhere around 10 inches... Growth etc depends on many variables ( temp, feeding regime) but I own a L.parahybana his temperament seems pretty chilled at the moment but I think there attitude changes with there size (bigger they are the braver they are) but Im expecting mine to get to adult within 18 months or so

thanks for the info...but, do you have any idea of the growth rate? how big can it grow? and it's temperamental..?

advan

oOOo
Staff member
As its from the Lasiodora family
Indeed close to Lasiodora but the familiy would be Theraphosidae. ;)

Yes, my apology. Well, what defines the difference between the two genera :

Lasiodorides spp. do not possess a stridulating organ, Lasiodora spp. does.

There are minimal plumose setae on the retrolateral surface of femur IV in Lasiodorides spp., in Lasiodora spp., they are plentiful.

Cheers,
Steve

snakecollector

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have seen online that they grow around 7". I also read that they are skittish and not a tarantula to be held.

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Huh, I didn't know Lasiodora could stridulate....

natebugman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
tictaktank,

First, I have a Lasiodorides striatus, and let me save you a lot of trouble. You should rush out and buy it and box it up carefully and ship it as fast as you can to my house! Lol! I can't find another one anywhere. I've had my girl for about 15 years. I've tried just about every kind of substrate there is and nothing seems to have worked better than straight coco fiber/bed-a-beast from the dehydrated bricks. I wouldn't worry all that much about humidity. When I first got her, I lived in West Texas and I tried everything to get humidity up to 70-80%. I either got 35-40% or a bog of fungus. She lived thru all that and I learned to relax a bit. I live in Florida now so she stays in the range of 70-80 degree F and 50-80% humidity. Mine was a full adult when I got her so I can't say much about growth rate, but I've heard that it's slow. I keep her in a 10 gallon tank with a hide that she spends more time on top of than under and a large water dish. Keep the distance from the top of the cage low because mine loves to climb the walls and hang upside down. As for size, most reports I've heard are 6-8". Mine is around 6.5". Temperament: Skittish. She's not quick to run. She'll stand her ground to a point, but she rarely makes threat displays and I've only had her slap once. When she feels really threatened, she will turn and run while kicking hairs. She has never been an aggressive feeder, taking no more than 3 or 4 crickets a week.

As for handling, I don't recommend it. While she shows no aggression, she can be quite fast and unpredictable. I never handled her on purpose, but the two accidental handling attempts were not enjoyable for either of us. Luckily, neither of us were any the worse for wear.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. Also if you know anyone who has any more and has a license to import them to the US let me know ASAP.

Last edited:

Arienette

Arachnoknight
revamping a dead thread.

mine was 18 when she died :( i miss her.

RIP suvvi

Last edited:

Palespider

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds like she lived quite a long life. Sorry to here about her passing =(

Arienette

Arachnoknight
Sounds like she lived quite a long life. Sorry to here about her passing =(
Thank you. I've kinda tried not to think about it. I can't find this species anywhere. She was really a beautiful girl, and her 'tude made her that much more captivating. :)