lasiodora parahybana questions

chadontheinternet

Arachnopeon
Im ordering a female LP soon and have a few questions....
What's their growth speed in regards to females? I hear they can reach up to 6 inches in their First year of life

What should I house a 5cm female sling in throughout its life?which container at what length I mean... I already own spare 6 and 15 quart, A 32 oz deli cup container as well as a 10 gallon tank.

Are they good display tarantulas or are they burrowers? I love their appearance but if their anything like m.robustum
Then that'd be a bummer

Any answers would be appreciated thank you

Illusion

Arachnosquire
My female is a great display spider, she has a hide but even when she's in it she sits with her head poking out so you can still see her. She's often sat out in the open or on top of her bark, it's very rare i can't see her at all.

As soon as mine was more than 3/4cm i started putting her in glass tanks, she's so ballsy she was never put off by large space or being on constant display. Before this i used a deli cup when she was teeny weeny, and then a couple of plastic tubs with the clip down tops. Once she got big enough that i was a bit worried she was going to launch herself out of it then into a tank she went.

The growth rate depends on how warm they are as well as how much you feed, if you stuff the spider full of food yes they can get that big that fast, but it's not a good idea. I grew mine on steadily, she's never been underfed, but i didn't want to rush her either. They are the type of spider that will eat and eat until they're a tennis ball with legs if you let them, i reckon she'd eat until she popped!

chadontheinternet

Arachnopeon
My female is a great display spider, she has a hide but even when she's in it she sits with her head poking out so you can still see her. She's often sat out in the open or on top of her bark, it's very rare i can't see her at all.

As soon as mine was more than 3/4cm i started putting her in glass tanks, she's so ballsy she was never put off by large space or being on constant display. Before this i used a deli cup when she was teeny weeny, and then a couple of plastic tubs with the clip down tops. Once she got big enough that i was a bit worried she was going to launch herself out of it then into a tank she went.

The growth rate depends on how warm they are as well as how much you feed, if you stuff the spider full of food yes they can get that big that fast, but it's not a good idea. I grew mine on steadily, she's never been underfed, but i didn't want to rush her either. They are the type of spider that will eat and eat until they're a tennis ball with legs if you let them, i reckon she'd eat until she popped!
Thanks man btw have you ever had a T shipped internationally I'm ordering my lp from the UK and it supposed to take 2-3 days for it to get here after I order but the lp is still a sling so idk about it any advice? I'm ordering from tarantula bristol btw

Illusion

Arachnosquire
Hey hey, less of the 'man' thank you very much, no penis here! ;) :happy:

No i've never had a spider shipped so far, only from here in the UK.
I wouldn't have an issue with getting them from in Europe though, and that can take just as long, and i do plan to, but i was going to wait until later in the year when it's a bit warmer. The cold would be my biggest worry. It depends where, if at all, the package is left sat over night etc. Bristol has an airport so if it flies straight from there it's not as bad, but not sure if they do or not. Although i'm not sure about how cold it is in the plane.
I've heard good things about that shop though, so hopefully they'll package it well, and all will be fine.

Just curious as to why you went for one from so far away?

Alem2001

Arachnopeon
They are good display tarantulas, mine is always visible. They grow fast,but every specimen is different so we can't say that your parahybana will be fast grower.
That size tarantula i put at about 2l plastic container.

I wish you good luck with your new tarantula!

chadontheinternet

Arachnopeon
Hey hey, less of the 'man' thank you very much, no penis here! ;) :happy:

No i've never had a spider shipped so far, only from here in the UK.
I wouldn't have an issue with getting them from in Europe though, and that can take just as long, and i do plan to, but i was going to wait until later in the year when it's a bit warmer. The cold would be my biggest worry. It depends where, if at all, the package is left sat over night etc. Bristol has an airport so if it flies straight from there it's not as bad, but not sure if they do or not. Although i'm not sure about how cold it is in the plane.
I've heard good things about that shop though, so hopefully they'll package it well, and all will be fine.

Just curious as to why you went for one from so far away?
I bought from tarantula Bristol because they were the only people who had a 2 inch female lp sling for only $16 along with a 2.5 female inch megephobema robustum for only $29 it was a good deal since usually slings that big are unsexed and cost way more

cold blood

Staff member
Do yourself a favor and just buy several slings. It will probably cheaper, or similar and then you will have the extra to trade with once you've sexed yourself a female....now you add to your collection with virtually no cost. Plus I just don't see the point in buying a female when they grow so dang fast...by summer you would probably be able to sex them....watching fast growers grow from little things is one of the most rewarding parts of the hobby for me. Great eating, fast growing slings are just the best.:astonished::cool:

Heavnsix

Arachnopeon
I have a 2" sling that 1) is waaay faster and much more defensive than I expected, and 2) became a pet hole when I moved it into an enclosure with a hide. The only time I see it out from under its bark is when it's trying to seal off one of the entrances.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
I'm sure someone will mention it but... It's illegal to import in t's from out of the country without special permits etc. (I think) Your order probably will get canceled.

cold blood

Staff member
I'm sure someone will mention it but... It's illegal to import in t's from out of the country without special permits etc. (I think) Your order probably will get canceled.
To do it legally, it would be way too costly, especially for a small personal order. There are better ways to save a few bucks.

scott99

Arachnoknight
What's their growth speed in regards to females? I hear they can reach up to 6 inches in their First year of life
It really depends on how much you feed them. What tempter you keep them at and also there gender. Females usually grow slower there males. Here is some picture of my female L parahybana. I keep the tempter around 70s to 80s in the summer and 60s to 70s in the winter.

this picture was taken ‎January ‎15, ‎2015, she was about 1 in.

P1090809.JPG

and this picture was taken February ‎01, 2016 she is about 4.5 in.

PICT6604.JPG

TomM

Arachnobaron of Pennsylvania
Old Timer
I had a 1.5" LP that grew to 7.5 inches in two years. It also turned out to be male. Still was a great display animal until I sent him out for breeding.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
I have two LP's I haven't sexed yet that are about 4.5 inches. I purchased them in 2010.. I never have power fed them though.

cold blood

Staff member
I never have power fed them though.
That term is basically meaningless. Ask 50 people what power feeding is and you will get 50 different replies. Your power feeding, may just be normal feeding schedule to others....your "non" power feeding might be a Nazi concentration camp feeding schedule to others. 4.5" over the course of two whole years is pretty darn slow growth for an LP.

On top of that, what may be considered power feeding concerning one species by some people, could be considered normal or low feeding for another species. Fast growing large species, like the LP, require significantly more food, than say, a rosea or B. smithi.

IMO power feeding means having food available 24/7, or at least daily feedings....very few actually do this.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
That term is basically meaningless. Ask 50 people what power feeding is and you will get 50 different replies. Your power feeding, may just be normal feeding schedule to others....your "non" power feeding might be a Nazi concentration camp feeding schedule to others. 4.5" over the course of two whole years is pretty darn slow growth for an LP.

On top of that, what may be considered power feeding concerning one species by some people, could be considered normal or low feeding for another species. Fast growing large species, like the LP, require significantly more food, than say, a rosea or B. smithi.

IMO power feeding means having food available 24/7, or at least daily feedings....very few actually do this.

That's a good point.

depending on size 1-3 crickets every two weeks. Even when they were they were tiny specs.

cold blood

Staff member
I wasn't being critical of your feeding...lol....

But for comparison, I feed twice weekly, one single cricket per feeding....so when you are feeding 3 every 2 weeks, I am only feeding one more cricket, despite much more frequent feedings. Classic example of there not being one set feeding schedule, but rather much variability of feeding schedules....and on top of the number of prey item differences, the temp differences we all keep also demand different feeding schedules....My room is a consistent 80 (maybe 76,77 at night), which is warmer than many people keep, thereby, my feeding schedule should be greater than someone who keeps in the low 70's. At my temps, I simply couldn't imagine offering your low end of one cricket every 2 weeks....my LD would be ravenous. If my room was 71 during the day and 67 at night, that might be fine.

Heavnsix

Arachnopeon

Do you recommend this type of feeding? If one wants their LP to grow quickly?

cold blood

Staff member
If you want quick growth, more food and warmer temps would be the recipe.

TomKemp

Arachnoknight
Do Lasiodora Klugi have a growth rate similar to the parahybana?