Lasiodora? Adding substrate depth without weight ?

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
3BFBADC2-EF39-4B40-BFA2-4A4786122722.jpeg F187E2A2-F3A9-4300-858B-570813561E85.jpeg ways to increase depth even for large Ts this is not enough depth I cannot use all top soil too heavy . 6-8” T needs more depth .

Willa

Arachnopeon
I'm still a new keeper, but I like the coconut fiber substrate. It's pretty light, maintains moisture well, and my b. albo loves it (it was digging this morning and webbing up the hide and new burrow). You know the kind that you add water to and it expands. You can bake it in the oven to dry it out if your T doesn't like moister sub. My little guy won't touch it unless it's pretty dry, but I know each T has different preferences.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Top soil is very good. I prefer top soil or peat, which i like too. Peat is very light. Use that! One should never give tarantulas to little sub cos reason beeing it is to heavy. Then change sub or use a lighter substrate instead!

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
No the top soil is too heavy to fill the tank 1/2 or more full . The enclosure itself isn’t that bad .
But the weight of an enclosure is the sum of all its parts. A glass enclosure is much heavier. So if you use acrylic, you can add more sub before it reaches your max weight.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I believe coco fiber is lighter than top soil. Why not use a shorter enclosure?

Hamiltincolin25

Arachnopeon
I’d advise you to mix the current substrate with coco fiber or peat moss. Or even have a little of all three. It will cut down on weight and you might find you and/or your t prefer the combo substrate over the top soil.

cold blood

Staff member
Peat moss is by far the lightest substrate you could possibly use.

On another note, that cup you have in there for a "hide", is completely inappropriate. Hides, as a rule, should never be dead ends. Rather think of them as a starting point for a burrow, like a front door. Front doors are nice but they don't make for a good home.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
But the weight of an enclosure is the sum of all its parts. A glass enclosure is much heavier. So if you use acrylic, you can add more sub before it reaches your max weight.
I’d prefer mixing multiple substrate glass tanks are cheaper to and more durable from any supplier or pet store near me . Acrylic is the best but I cannot afford one .
I’d you know a affordable spot to buy them for next time I find a job that could be helpful.
I’m looking very hard but under a sleep banishment , hardly sleep at all 5-7 hr a night I’m tired until it’s time for bedtime!!

Last edited:

s dave

Arachnopeon
Are you worried about weight for the you moving it or the glass breaking? If it's the glass itself I wouldn't worry too much, they are pretty tough and can manage more often then not. They are meant to be filled with water. Water is roughly 2/3 the weight of tightly packed topsoil per cubic foot, so half full of soil shouldn't be an issue for the enclouse itself as long as the soil isn't soaked and packed in.

If it's the weight of the enclosure in regard to moving it, mixing peat and coco fiber will drastically cut the overall weight. You could even go 1/3 of each and cut quite a bit of weight that way as everyone here has suggested.