Lasidora Parahybana (Salmon Pink Birdeater) Pre-molt?

ArachnoEvans

Arachnopeon
Hi all
So i've my LP for about 2 months now, it arrived with a clear black bald spot and molted that same night. Ever since it molted, it's hardly ever eaten, the last time it ate was about 2-3 weeks ago. I recently thought i hadn't seen it in a while so i decided to gently prod it's abdomen with a paint brush and it quickly reared up showing it's fangs, it has never done this before in the 2 months of me owning it. I left it alone and then returned to do the same thing and then it haired me in the eye(i'm ok), also it has never done this before. In the past week or so i've noticed a developing small bald spot but it doesn't look like the one it had in a previous pre-molt. All the conditions are fine, 80C and 75% Humidity. I just wanted to know if this is pre-molt or not, i'll get some pictures up later on.

Thanks, Callum E

B00

Arachnopeon
Parahybanas can have "growth spurts". Mine molted, then molted again about 2 months later (it was already around 5" in leg span when it happened). I'm not saying that's whats happening here, but just keep an eye on her. Also don't keep brushing her, sounds like she doesn't care for it. Her behavior changed because she has adapted to her environment, and she will now defend herself and her territory.

B00

Arachnopeon
Yeah, she's fine. It's not unheard of for a L. Parahybana to molt like that. They grow pretty quickly. Took me by surprise when it happened.

Last edited:

B00

Arachnopeon
A picture would help if you have a camera. But the main thing is to just be patient with her.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the black spot is normal on nw ts, darkening of the abdomen is a sign of premolt not the black spot. its bald because it is stressed and keeps kicking hairs. the more you bother it you will do more harm than good. just let it be for a few weeks make sure it has fresh water. LPs grow pretty fast, if its not eating can be a sign of stress or its in premolt.