Larvae of possible Desth Feigning beetle

Kennef

Arachnopeon
So. I have read on the forums that these death feigned beetles are very hard to pupate. I have larvae, I’m not sure which species, but it is pushing an inch long and is really beefy. I fed it carrots, apples, oats, some jelly pots(water sugar sea weed extracts etc - will try to order beetle jelly because of amino acids) and they have grown a lot. I also gently wet the top layer of the sand and they make full use of it. I’m open to tips and all the help I can get to breeding these guys.

Attachments

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
So. I have read on the forums that these death feigned beetles are very hard to pupate. I have larvae, I’m not sure which species, but it is pushing an inch long and is really beefy. I fed it carrots, apples, oats, some jelly pots(water sugar sea weed extracts etc - will try to order beetle jelly because of amino acids) and they have grown a lot. I also gently wet the top layer of the sand and they make full use of it. I’m open to tips and all the help I can get to breeding these guys.
Are you sure that they're death feigner larvae or could they be something else (don't have a good enough pic of them to tell myself)?

Kennef

Arachnopeon
I think they might be E. Obscurros because she has been laying recently. About 2 months ago. I also found big white eggs on the surface.(I have 3 BDFB[2m/1f], 6 Smooth feigners[m:f unknown], 1 E. Obscurros[female:most likely impregnated at Peters place], and 1 Wooly[Gender unknown]. I want to get a better picture of them but it looks like they sealed themselves into isolation and stopped moving. I will try to get better picture without disturbing them.

Attachments

Kennef

Arachnopeon
This one came from the big white egg. Idk how old it is but it is big compared to the smaller larvae

Attachments

All About Arthropods

Arachnoknight
Hmm do any of them have flat-ish, rounded back ends? That seems to be the main factor in differentiating Eleodes larvae from those of Asbolus.

If I'm seeing things correctly, the first larva pictured should be Eleodes as the backside looks more pointed. If they're sealing themselves away for pupation as it seems (you'd know for sure by seeing if they could move the front legs and if they're in a J shape), you should either move the non-pupating larvae out of the cup or move the pupating larvae to their own cups with a moist layer of coconut fiber, sand, or mix of the two. If they're Eloedes, that'll be all you need to do to set them up for good pupation, but if they're Asbolus, you may want to check out this thread: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/inducing-bdfb-to-pupate.280289/