Largest Spider I've Caught in Years

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Hey all, sorry for being inactive for a while, I just had a lot on my metaphorical plate. So, I'm horribly excited to the point where I'm shaking, the reason why is as the title states; I've found a rather large spider. I went outside to gather a few grasshopper nymphs for one of my small wolf spiders, when I found this beauty.
HNI_0079_MPO.JPG HNI_0078_MPO.JPG

Leila

Arachnobaron
Can you take some clearer photos of it? I can't make out what kind of spider it is, but I can tell it is beautiful! :)

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
most Hogna carolinensis specimens will be max out in body length around 22mm or so, but occasionally an individual will grow very large and exceed 3cm in bodylength.

Rabidosa rabida is also like this and can attain nearly the same size on occasion

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
That first picture on your second post is the epitome of puppy dog eyes. :wideyed:

She's wonderful, though. I wish I could find stuff like this where I live.

ryan w

Arachnopeon
I see these for sale occasionally over here in the UK and am always tempted. Put off by the fact that they are normally w.c adults so aren't gonna live long. If juvie came up I'd probably purchase. Are they prone to biting? Nice picture of yours, good find!

JumpingNerscylla

Arachnosquire
Odd question that I probably know the answer to: Is it normal for flip upside-down when eating? I gave her a mealworm to see if she would eat it (it's all I have currently) and, after she caught it, she flipped on to her back, and stayed like that until she finished consuming it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Odd question that I probably know the answer to: Is it normal for flip upside-down when eating? I gave her a mealworm to see if she would eat it (it's all I have currently) and, after she caught it, she flipped on to her back, and stayed like that until she finished consuming it.
it's normal, most terrestrial hunting species will grapple prey and the thrashing mealworm will toss it around as they hold on.