Largest Species of Scorpions?

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That isn't really a scorpion, Eurypterids aren't even classified as arachnids.
It's still pretty cool all the same. :)

Cheers
Dave

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think I have a few Forest emps. I also have a big female that I think is gravid but she was in a terr with a bunch of the little ones in the pet store and recently molted in the wild before she was caught. I hope she mated in her "genetic" group out in the wild before one of those smaller ones got to her. But since she recently molted, there's a good chance one of the little ones got to her in the terr. I like how it says in that article, "..that makes it the biggest arthropod ever to evolved.." I'm finally catching on to comments like this. They don't know that. It was just discovered. They don't know what else has been here. Prob just a bad way they said it but I hear comments like this too often.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK I just took another pic of them in a Tupperware container. I mean they're not "that" big but they caught my attention so I bought them. Two are 6 inches base of tail to tip of the carapace, the other two are about 5.5 or a little more. I had to put a grav female in a separate container. She tried to kill another female right away. If the females are gravid and are use to being by themselves, they will kill other scorps that come near if the other doesn't run away, at least these are like that. I'll post the pic later, have to load it.

It's hard to catch the "real-time visual" size of things with a camera, even next to tape measure but here's another pic anyway.

Last edited:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what do you mean "tried to kill". I've posted this a few times but why not post it again. A number of emps will always initially fight. Even if they were group together and then removed and then reintroduced. They'll fight and the best thing to do is...enjoy the show. Let them fight and look over them to make sure it doesn't get out of hand. Remember they are immune to their own venom. Eventually they'll stop hiding and 9/10 times they even become room mates...sharing hides and all.
-Eddy

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks, they are pretty cool. Yeah, they don't know what "killing" means so I guess it's best to say that there was an accident. I had a male that died, not from venom but he bled to death. I've seen and have the small ones in groups pushing and giving light pinches to each other but these big females aren't reaching over to push with the end of their metasoma, they are trying to sting, and the pinches don't look like warning pinches to me. I'm not taking any more chances with these bigger ones. I do have smaller ones together with no probs. I'm going to play it safe with these. I often kept two of these bigger ones together but I never see them hanging around each other like the smaller ones. I know ...they are all emps but it's what I've been seeing. When I found two of the big ones in the store, the two where each in a separate deli container, not in the same terr with all the smaller ones, same price. I didn't ask why but I'm wondering if they were not "getting along" as well with the others. I mean the males tolerate each other but it just looks like they would much rather have some distance. These females are even less tolerant. I just don't want to risk it.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think I have a few Forest emps. I also have a big female that I think is gravid but she was in a terr with a bunch of the little ones in the pet store and recently molted in the wild before she was caught. I hope she mated in her "genetic" group out in the wild before one of those smaller ones got to her. But since she recently molted, there's a good chance one of the little ones got to her in the terr. I like how it says in that article, "..that makes it the biggest arthropod ever to evolved.." I'm finally catching on to comments like this. They don't know that. It was just discovered. They don't know what else has been here. Prob just a bad way they said it but I hear comments like this too often.
like when they state for a fact that megarachnae was the largest spider ever then find out it wasnt even a spider but more closely related to a crab lol

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I know what you mean. The radio, TV media, whatever, say this or that and the first thing I do is say, " ..hey that's interesting.." Then ...hey wait a minute, how do they know that? They so many times throw theories out there as fact and a year or two later, they change their mind. Ahh, I'm being too cynical, we're all trying to find answers, that's cool.