1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Largest Jumping spider?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by 4tec84, Jun 7, 2009.

1. 4tec84

4tec84 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    What are the largest species of jumping spider? I know Phidippus species are U.S. largest but are there any ohter that can get as large or larger?

I had a Phidippus regius once and she was the largest ive ever seen, just alittle over 1".

2. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

i think P. octopunctatus is the largest in the USA. don't know about the world

3. 4tec84

4tec84 Arachnosquire

Nice!

I had to look that one up.

4. OxDionysus

OxDionysus Arachnobaron

where did you get a Phidippus , and do you have any pics?

5. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

i think the P. octo's come from southern califoria/northern mexico. only one of those is going to be at all doable to get spiders from =P

6. EXOPET

EXOPET Arachnosquire

I beleive there is a species from Borneo that reaches 5cm legspan, so would have about a 3cm body length.

known as a heavy jumper, sorry, not got any scientific name.

7. I looked online for the scientific name. Hyllus diardi

8. Draiman

Draiman Arachnoking

Hyllus diardi does not reach 5cm. Nowhere near 5cm, in fact.

9. Oh :|
    Sorry, I just did a search for 'heavy jumper'. Hyllus diardi was what I came up with.

He could be thinking of a different species, unscientific names are unsure like that.

10. seanbond

seanbond Arachnoking

anyone got pix of any large jumpers other than audax?

11. Draiman

Draiman Arachnoking

"Heavy jumper" is indeed a common name for Hyllus diardi, so he (EXOPET) is misinformed, not you. I was correcting him and not you anyway. :)

12. EXOPET

EXOPET Arachnosquire

was a long time ago i read this, must have got my wires crossed, although it is a species from Borneo as it was someone from the BTS who went looking for earth tigers in Kalimantan who spotted it and took measurements, there was mention made of the 'heavy jumper'.

13. Draiman

Draiman Arachnoking

A Salticid of such proportions would surely have been scientifically documented, but why have we not heard anything?

14. EXOPET

EXOPET Arachnosquire

measurements were in regards of a sparassidae huntsman:8o

15. Blaster

Blaster Arachnoknight

I'd say Hyllus giganteus. No further information though. I had two H. diardi females, with their body length reaching up easily to 21 or even 22mm.
    Regards, Matt

16. EXOPET

EXOPET Arachnosquire

Hi,

my hyllus giganteus male has a 47mm legspan and an 18mm body length