Largest Jumping spider?

4tec84

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What are the largest species of jumping spider? I know Phidippus species are U.S. largest but are there any ohter that can get as large or larger?

I had a Phidippus regius once and she was the largest ive ever seen, just alittle over 1".

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think P. octopunctatus is the largest in the USA. don't know about the world

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i think the P. octo's come from southern califoria/northern mexico. only one of those is going to be at all doable to get spiders from =P

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I beleive there is a species from Borneo that reaches 5cm legspan, so would have about a 3cm body length.

known as a heavy jumper, sorry, not got any scientific name.

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I looked online for the scientific name. Hyllus diardi

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I beleive there is a species from Borneo that reaches 5cm legspan, so would have about a 3cm body length.

known as a heavy jumper, sorry, not got any scientific name.
Hyllus diardi does not reach 5cm. Nowhere near 5cm, in fact.

Motzo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Oh :|
Sorry, I just did a search for 'heavy jumper'. Hyllus diardi was what I came up with.

He could be thinking of a different species, unscientific names are unsure like that.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer
anyone got pix of any large jumpers other than audax?

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh :|
Sorry, I just did a search for 'heavy jumper'. Hyllus diardi was what I came up with.

He could be thinking of a different species, unscientific names are unsure like that.
"Heavy jumper" is indeed a common name for Hyllus diardi, so he (EXOPET) is misinformed, not you. I was correcting him and not you anyway. :)

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
was a long time ago i read this, must have got my wires crossed, although it is a species from Borneo as it was someone from the BTS who went looking for earth tigers in Kalimantan who spotted it and took measurements, there was mention made of the 'heavy jumper'.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
was a long time ago i read this, must have got my wires crossed, although it is a species from Borneo as it was someone from the BTS who went looking for earth tigers in Kalimantan who spotted it and took measurements, there was mention made of the 'heavy jumper'.
A Salticid of such proportions would surely have been scientifically documented, but why have we not heard anything?

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
measurements were in regards of a sparassidae huntsman:8o

Blaster

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say Hyllus giganteus. No further information though. I had two H. diardi females, with their body length reaching up easily to 21 or even 22mm.
Regards, Matt

EXOPET

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd say Hyllus giganteus. No further information though. I had two H. diardi females, with their body length reaching up easily to 21 or even 22mm.
Regards, Matt

Hi,

my hyllus giganteus male has a 47mm legspan and an 18mm body length