land snails in the USA

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have those here.Its rare to see them as large though,generally they are alot smaller. There are some aquatic ones in the ohio river here in Ky. They are cone shaped and come in many colors. Most the land snails look like the one that iturnrocks showed.Thats a nice one!

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have really small spiral aquatics here in streams.Larger spiral in the river.And there are 2 lakes at 2 parks that have the big ones similar to the chinese trapdoors. Thats neat how he is using the new hole to move.good pic man!

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This freshwater aquatic snail might interest you. . .

sarah1031 said:
Hmmm... I think I might know what you are talking about... But either way... I really dont need any more aquatic ones.
Hey sarah1031,

I just couldn't help but show this to you and the other members. I collected these aquatic snails last April. I found them in a creek that drains to the sea. I only collected 8 since I thought the were marine (sea shells). I placed them in a freshwater aquarium along with my Betta just to observe. Much to my surprise, they adjusted well in captivity. They've been feeding o fish flakes and rotting aquarium plants. The shell pattern and color is amazing.

Maybe there's an expert here who can ID them. I plan to collect more as soon as I get the chance.

Sorry big pics.

Here's a close-up.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/n1nn0/IMG_1016.jpg

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
OH MY GOD....:eek: :drool: :drool: :drool:
Those are just so awesome....wow I am speechless :worship: :worship:

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
Yea, they are freshwater Nerites.... The ones you have are commonly called red nerites. Nerites are good for planted aquariums because they are one of the only species that won't eat all you plants.. lol.

They are really beautiful and now I want some... which is bad cause I have enough.. but whe it comes to snalls I really can't control myself.:8o

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Neritina natalensis...again name probably spelled wrong. You are lucky to be able to collect those! They are great for planted aquariums.

iturnrocks: Did that snail live very long like that?