LAG's - too short?

Should LAG's (live arrival guarantees) be a longer than just alive when received?

• No - live arrival is good enough

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Yes - at least 24 hrs to make sure they're alright.

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Yes - 72 hrs seems reasonable.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • Yes - if the sellers confident in the health of the animal they'd offer a full week.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Yes - a month, cause why not?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I get that it really sucks to have a new tarantula die a day or two after you receive it... but all you can do is reach out to the seller, explain the situation, and offer to provide evidence, etc in exchange for a refund or new spider. I've only had that happen once and the seller did give me a replacement. If they hadn't I would have avoided them in the future because of doubts about the health of their stock. No sellers are ever going to start offering longer blanket guarantees because of all the other possibilities of fraud, keeper error, people taking advantage, etc... but that doesn't mean you can't ask if you think you have good reason.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
This is all good - until a seller does to you what they did to me, then you have zero recourse. As far as you never having a DOA, well with your luck you should be playing the lottery. I went a long time without having any DOA's - then I did.
i got scammed for over $1000. what you’re complaining about is only a pinch of what i lost.
If you ever sell anything, I'll remember not to buy from you :meh:
when i sell, i offer a 24hr grace period for people like you lmao. nevertheless, noted.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
i got scammed for over $1000. what you’re complaining about is only a pinch of what i lost.
How do you know what I lost? Two rare sub-adult females - It wasn't a thousand, wasn't a pinch either.

I don't know why a lot of you seem to think this only about money. Actually I was really just trying to find out what people thoughts about LAGs and about what I think is a more reasonable LAG time frame. But as usual here some people have to try to change the narrative to their liking.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
How do you know what I lost? Two rare sub-adult females - It wasn't a thousand, wasn't a pinch either.

I don't know why a lot of you seem to think this only about money. Actually I was really just trying to find out what people thoughts about LAGs and about what I think is a more reasonable LAG time frame. But as usual here some people have to try to change the narrative to their liking.
oopsies my bad. if i were you, i’d leave a review for others to see, but keep it without bias. just state the facts and avoid assumptions or defamation.

Rhino1

Arachnobaron
I buy bulk in wholesale lots and re sell a lot, so constantly seem to have parcels either coming or going, we have a replacement guarantee which has never needed to be used as yet.
The only thing I've ever replaced was a very large funnel web that died a week later after arriving, no questions, simply because they are good customers.

In short live arrival is good enough imho, but I still think it should be situation dependent.
A business doesn't have to be nice or friendly or even fair but the ones that are- stand out.
At the end of the day both parties involved are taking a risk by posting live animals, sometimes it's neither the seller or buyer that is to blame when things go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire

You order a T and it arrives dead. You have lost a T and a good chunk of cash. A 24 hour period after arrival isn't that bad of a deal. Internal damage during shipping could cause a death hours from the time you get it. I'm not a fan of you by any means. But I do agree with you on this one.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You order a T and it arrives dead. You have lost a T and a good chunk of cash. A 24 hour period after arrival isn't that bad of a deal. Internal damage during shipping could cause a death hours from the time you get it. I'm not a fan of you by any means. But I do agree with you on this one.
Not looking for fans, just honest opinions. Thank you.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
And you are deliberately missing my point. Just because something is done that way now doesn't mean it can't change.

I've noticed while most of the comments are against my position (and in some cases me) the poll is actually pretty close, four people even calling for longer LAGs than me. Most likely people are seeing the tone of some of the comments. I hoped for a serious discussion, instead it was implied that this was my fault(?) and I don't know how pre-molt works (lol, I've seen as many or more molts than a lot of you people have, so don't act like I'm some newb). And why exactly am I just supposed to take the loss and be okay with it when clearly it wasn't my fault - none of you would.
You aren't missing my point, you're dancing around it. You entered into a binding contract and your failing to be a man and suck it up and play by the rules. Sounds like you don't have enough play money to lose a expensive spider here or there. You know these things reproduce in 100's even thousands for a reason.

Edit: If you want an extended day or two guarantee that's something you absolutely have to have in writing. The lag is there for you to ensure the seller doesn't box up dead animals and send them to you. That's absolutely it. Not a health guarantee. If you feel the animals aren't in good health that's when you should take your money else where and leave a negative review for other potential buyers to see.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You entered into a binding contract and your failing to be a man and suck it up and play by the rules
And you're still not getting it. I've accepted the loss, and am in fact still dealing with the one of the sellers. Why do some of you people insist on making this about me? I put a poll up to get people opinions on LAGs - that's it. And the poll is pretty close, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks a longer LAG would be fair. But now I am starting to wonder why some of you are so upset by the idea of longer LAG, hmm?

Sounds like you don't have enough play money to lose a expensive spider here or there. You know these things reproduce in 100's even thousands for a reason.
o_O I hope this nonsense is some kind of joke :rolleyes:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
And you're still not getting it. I've accepted the loss, and am in fact still dealing with the one of the sellers. Why do some of you people insist on making this about me? I put a poll up to get people opinions on LAGs - that's it. And the poll is pretty close, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks a longer LAG would be fair. But now I am starting to wonder why some of you are so upset by the idea of longer LAG, hmm?

o_O I hope this nonsense is some kind of joke :rolleyes:
The reason nobody should get more than a simple LAG is because the seller has no control what so ever of the conditions you place that T into. And no I'm not joking. I'm telling you how it is. Mother nature took you to the cleaners or you can't take physical care or financial responsibility of your own actions/pets.

EditAnd as for your "wondering why comment" of the health of my animals I sell, there's a link for my reviews right here in my signature.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
The reason nobody should get more than a simple LAG is because the seller has no control what so ever of the conditions you place that T into. And no I'm not joking. I'm telling you how it is. Mother nature took you to the cleaners or you can't take physical care or financial responsibility of your own actions/pets.
:rofl: or :banghead: - I'm not sure which. They both died within 24 hrs of my getting them but I'm sure I did something wrong :rolleyes:, no way that could be anything the seller did :rofl:

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Two rare sub-adult females - It wasn't a thousand, wasn't a pinch either.
These were two sub-adults? Sub-adults!!! And both were dead within 24 hours? I'm sorry, but I cannot follow the logic that anyone is trying to pin this on you. Even one review like that would be enough for me to avoid them.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Even one review like that would be enough for me to avoid them.
I agree with this statement about not buying from that person if I seen a review. But the OP wants to get his money back, so he wont leave a review for us to see who the person is because he cant prove it was in bad health when it arrived or if he killed it. Either way he's just out for himself and his money. Still doesn't change my opinion on LAG. If someone sells bad stock on purpose, they should be exposed period. Good luck with that loop hole.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Stop touching chemicals before you rehouse.. As far as your emotions, that's irrelevant.
What chemicals was he touching? Did I miss somewhere that he mentioned handling chemicals directly prior to rehousing?
I agree with this statement. Yet OP wants to get his money back so he wont leave a review for us to see who the person is.
Is it you? Because it is the poster's decision to make whether he wants to ultimately put his review on the seller's account. Right now, he is just voicing his concerns and getting feedback.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Yet OP wants to get his money back so he wont leave a review for us to see who the person is.
Where did you pull this from? I never said I'm trying get my money back. And for the millionth time THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME! And believe it or not I'm not looking to trash any sellers. I was trying to have honest discussion about LAGs, but some people have to start trolling.

Stop touching chemicals before you rehouse.. As far as your emotions, that's irrelevant.
o_O:banghead:
I've housed/rehoused literately hundreds of inverts with no problem.

Hmm, something fishy going on with that, to lose both in 24 hours at that age is concerning.
That sucks
They were actually about a month apart, and different problems, so not so fishy.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
Where did you pull this from? I never said I'm trying get my money back. And for the millionth time THIS IS NOT ABOUT ME! And believe it or not I'm not looking to trash any sellers. I was trying to have honest discussion about LAGs, but some people have to start trolling.
Nobody starts a thread about LAG that doesn't have an issue. Maybe some people here are born yesterday but I wasn't. And yes its about you. You started the thread about live arrival and want to know if "a random buyer" should get his money back if it does in "his" care after 24 hours or more. Then later you admit you had 2 expensive females die after being in your care 24 hours. Who knows where you put those females or what you may have exposed them to. The fact is those spiders were alive in the sellers care and survived his shipping just fine.

Last edited:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
You started the thread about live arrival and want to know if "a random buyer" should get his money back if it does in "his" care after 24 hours or more.
Here is my first post:

Simple question - should the baseline for LAGS be longer? After having having 2 expensive T's die within 24 hrs recently, both outside the dealers LAG, I'm thinking at least a 24 hr minimum. What do you think? Sellers if you have a reason why not, I'd be glad to hear it.
Please try to stick to reality.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Simple question - should the baseline for LAGS be longer? After having having 2 expensive T's die within 24 hrs recently, both outside the dealers LAG, I'm thinking at least a 24 hr minimum. What do you think? Sellers if you have a reason why not, I'd be glad to hear it.
In general I am fine with a live arrival guarantee, but I read reviews to see if there are any red flags that would leave me to believe that unhealthy spiders are being sold.

While I would expect reputable sellers to stand by the health of their animals, I can understand why sellers might not want to offer guarantees beyond the time of arrival for random buyers they don't know. A scammer who simply dropped the spider while trying to rehouse it might try to claim the death occurred during shipping. Many other things could happen.

But the OP wants to get his money back, so he wont leave a review for us to see who the person is because he cant prove it was in bad health when it arrived or if he killed it.
If I had a dead arrival, I would definitely wait until I've tried to resolve things with the seller before leaving a review.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
A scammer who simply dropped the spider while trying to rehouse it might try to claim the death occurred during shipping. Many other things could happen.
I suppose this possible, but unless the sellers LAG ends at the moment Fedex (or whoever) delivers it, which is uncommon, most people I assume house soon after they receive it so it would still be within the LAG when they dropped it or whatever.